Children at Citizenship Ceremony

MRMC

My wife is scheduled to be sworn in as a US Citizen next week. Our daughter a Chinese citizen is a minor and was listed on the application as her daughter. Does her daughter have to be at the ceremony. She has school and may not be able to miss that day. My understanding is she becomes a citizen when my wife becomes a citizen and I then have to apply either for a naturalization certificate or passport. Am I correct?

My wife is scheduled to be sworn in as a US Citizen next week. Our daughter a Chinese citizen is a minor and was listed on the application as her daughter. Does her daughter have to be at the ceremony. She has school and may not be able to miss that day. My understanding is she becomes a citizen when my wife becomes a citizen and I then have to apply either for a naturalization certificate or passport. Am I correct?

Check with the school. I'd be VERY surprised if this were the case.

I would think the Citizenship ceremony is much more important then one day of school, the shcool work can be made up, the ceremony can not.

The second part of your question:

Your children under 18 years of age automatically become citizens. However, you must fill out the N-600 form in order to receive a certificate of citizenship and register the change in their status with the USCIS.

http://icirr.org/en/node/1530

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

The whole family took off from work or school and attended. It was a great experience for all. It was a memorable experience. My wife got to register to vote. We will shortly apply for US passports for the wife and child. Thanks to all as this site has been very valuable and I am sure will be valuable for others. I may apply for the N-600 for my daughter but not sure. I know the passport is all that is required and not sure if any benefit to the N-600. Thanks again to all.