I-864: Which one is better?Tax return copies or Tax return Transcript

The instructions indicate the transcripts are preferred, they are FREE from the IRS, simply order simple transcripts, they will mail them to you or fax them to you.

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

You are not required to have the IRS certify the transcript or photocopy unless specifically instructed to do so by a Government official; a plain transcript or photocopy is acceptable. Telefile tax records are not acceptable proof of filing.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Note: IF:

• You are sponsoring only one immigrant,
  • And Income is above 125% povertyline and not using Assets.
  • And are Not using a joint sponsor.

You can use for I-864EZ http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864EZ.pdf

The instructions indicate the transcripts are preferred, they are FREE from the IRS, simply order simple transcripts, they will mail them to you or fax them to you.

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

You are not required to have the IRS certify the transcript or photocopy unless specifically instructed to do so by a Government official; a plain transcript or photocopy is acceptable. Telefile tax records are not acceptable proof of filing.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099 that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s) rather than a photocopy.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Note: IF:

• You are sponsoring only one immigrant,
  • And Income is above 125% povertyline and not using Assets.
  • And are Not using a joint sponsor.

You can use for I-864EZ http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864EZ.pdf

Hello dnoblett,

Thank you so much for your quick response!

It says: If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years.

My most recent year income was better than the previous two years, do you think I need to submit the previous two years tax return transcript too?

Thank you so much!

If it were me, I would. At the very least, I would prepare copies for the additional two years and have them in your kitchen sink. I've read many accounts here where they ended up asking for the additional two years.

The form also has a segment

(Optional) I have attached photocopies or transcripts of my Federal tax returns for my second and third most recent tax years.

PG 4 #15

The attorney that has given us some help during the process say they generally will go a head and ask for all three.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

It's likely you get an RFE if not submitting all three years ; so just submit it. Transcripts remove any question of whether you truly submitted or not, so that as evidence is better.

Hello David and KJJ,

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will email all of three years transcripts to them then.

Two more questions:

1. On PG 4 item #25, about Federal income tax return information. I filed tax return with Form 1024, do I need use "Adjusted Gross Income" as the Total income for item #25?

2. on PG 6 about item #23, it says: "you may include a recent letter from your employer, showing your employer's address and telephone number, and indicating your annual salary". I got my employment letter, it indicates my Total Gross Pay, it is more than the "Adjusted Gross Income" for Item #25, is it OK?

Thanks a lot!

It's likely you get an RFE if not submitting all three years ; so just submit it. Transcripts remove any question of whether you truly submitted or not, so that as evidence is better.

Hello David and KJJ,

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will email all of three years transcripts to them then.

Two more questions:

1. On PG 4 item #25, about Federal income tax return information. I filed tax return with Form 1024, do I need use "Adjusted Gross Income" as the Total income for item #25?

2. on PG 6 about item #23, it says: "you may include a recent letter from your employer, showing your employer's address and telephone number, and indicating your annual salary". I got my employment letter, it indicates my Total Gross Pay, it is more than the "Adjusted Gross Income" for Item #25, is it OK?

Thanks a lot!

1) Use transcripts, typically adjusted gross is used in you filed using 1040EZ

2) Gross income is what they want to know about, this is correct.

Hello David and KJJ,

Two more questions:

Thanks a lot!

1) Use transcripts, typically adjusted gross is used in you filed using 1040EZ

2) Gross income is what they want to know about, this is correct.

Hello dnoblett,

Thank you again!

Sorry for my typo, it was form 1040.

Another question, I filed tax returns as joint with my wife, so the tax transcripts show the total adjusted gross income for both of my wife's and mine together, not individual adjusted gross income, however, I need fill in I-864, my wife need to fill in I-864A, what should we do about the total income for Item #25?

Hello dnoblett,

Thank you again!

Another question, I filed tax returns as joint with my wife, so the tax transcripts show the total adjusted gross income for both of my wife's and mine together, not individual adjusted gross income, however, I need fill in I-864, my wife need to fill in I-864A, what should we do about the total income for Item #25?

If you have W2's and/or 1099 showing individual incomes then total up your gross income and note this on your I-864, and total up wife's total gross income and note this on her I-864A. Attach a copy of joint IRS return to I-864 and I-864A

Hello dnoblett,

Thank you again!

If you have W2's and/or 1099 showing individual incomes then total up your gross income and note this on your I-864, and total up wife's total gross income and note this on her I-864A. Attach a copy of joint IRS return to I-864 and I-864A

Thank you so much! dnoblett. I think it's good idea, but where on I-864 or I864A to mention it? Attach a copy of Joint Tax Return transcript is OK, right?

Thank you again!

Hello dnoblett,

Thank you again!

Thank you so much! dnoblett. I think it's good idea, but where on I-864 or I864A to mention it? Attach a copy of Joint Tax Return transcript is OK, right?

Thank you again!

Yes, as long as the numbers on the I-864 and I-864A add up to the gross income indicated on your joint return this will be fine.

Hello dnoblett,

Thank you again!

Thank you again!

Yes, as long as the numbers on the I-864 and I-864A add up to the gross income indicated on your joint return this will be fine.

Thank you so much for your help!

Best wishes,