Green Card Questions

I have my fiancee coming here on a K1 visa (as soon as the INS gets their paperwork straightened out).

I presume that she will be applying to study in a University next fall. I am not quite sure where yet, and I hope we don't pass up too many deadlines as we wait for the &!#!!&*#$#* Visa.

Anyway,

1) How long does it take to get the green card after the marriage (probably 2-3 months after arrival on K1 Visa).

2) Is a green card required for student work-study or other student jobs as an undergraduate (or graduate student)?

Thanks,

Clifford

I have my fiancee coming here on a K1 visa (as soon as the INS gets their paperwork straightened out).

I presume that she will be applying to study in a University next fall.  I am not quite sure where yet, and I hope we don't pass up too many deadlines as we wait for the &!#!!&*#$#* Visa.

Anyway,

1)  How long does it take to get the green card after the marriage (probably 2-3 months after arrival on K1 Visa).

2)  Is a green card required for student work-study or other student jobs as an undergraduate (or graduate student)?

Thanks,

Clifford

Clifford

1/ Anywhere between 4 months and 2 years, and this is a fact.

The Green card clock does not start ticking after marriage, but after you file AOS

2/ A green card is not a visa. It is a privilege, so it is not "required", but necessary if you want to be visa free ( read, no deadline to leave the country ) .

Student can stay in the US without a GC with the proper visa to complete study. After that, they must leave, unless they get permanent residency.

Your fiancee studies are irrelevant, being on a K1, you will file AOS. This alone will grant you guys the "privilege" to file for permanent residency... Don't sweat it.

:P

One more note: Many states TRIPLE the university tuition fee if you haven't been a resident of staid state for at least 12 months.. This is the case in FL. They don't want fly-by's I guess..

:P

Guest bbridges51

How long does it take to get a green card? I hadn't know the differences in processing times at district offices until the following URL was posted here at CFL recently. From this link, select the district office you'll mail your AOS paperwork to and you'll have a good idea how long it will take for yours. Some offices are MUCH faster than others: https://egov.immigration.gov/graphics/cris/...jsp?textFlag=N#

Brian

How long does it take to get a green card? I hadn't know the differences in processing times at district offices until the following URL was posted here at CFL recently. From this link, select the district office you'll mail your AOS paperwork to and you'll have a good idea how long it will take for yours. Some offices are MUCH faster than others: https://egov.immigration.gov/graphics/cris/...jsp?textFlag=N#

Brian

Brian. No kidding.. :P

Miami has ours ( AOS ) . Courtesy Kansas City Center

They say Yuhui will get hers in 2015 or so...

Kinda busy down there ya know...

Seriously, the processing times varies tremendously as you say, but I stick with my 4 to 24 months guesstimate

Brian

Good Grief!!!!! God, I didn't need to see this. :angry:

Atlanta Office is now processing cases for AOS with receipt date of June 26, 2001. Gosh, only 29 months behind. :P

Looks like they weren't kidding when they said it would take up to 36 months. ;)

Is this any way to run an airline? Or Agency? ;) ;) :P :blink:

Brian

;) Hmmm...... according to this chart, they are just now processing (AOS)June 15, 2003, here. We filed in person on June 9, and received approval on Sept. 17. That means they have processed only 6 days' worth of apps in the last 2 months?? :blink:

Brian

;) Hmmm...... according to this chart, they are just now processing (AOS)June 15, 2003, here. We filed in person on June 9, and received approval on Sept. 17. That means they have processed only 6 days' worth of apps in the last 2 months?? :blink:

I hope there is an error on these charts AZ. Otherwise, we might get AOS sometime around the 2008 Olympics. ;)

Even getting the AOS interview is no longer any kind of guarentee. How many of you know that they do several more security/name checks for the AOS.

Well we went for our AOS interview 11/3/03, and it was a shocker!!! We were told all our paperwork was correct, everything was in order, and they were going to recomend approval of our AOS petition. BUTTTTTTTTT and this is a big BUT.

We can not officially be approved until one last name check/security clearance is completed.

Our last name check (apparently they do three additional for AOS) is listed as pending. They told me they had absolutely no idea of how long it would take. One month, six or longer. This means the two year period can not start until this final name check is complete and the AOS is approved.

Needless to say I was absolutely furious and demanded to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor gave me the same answer and said there was not even a number I could call. I did not believe her, even though I wanted to I could not call her a liar.

Two different people told me they could not give me any more information with out the threat of losing their jobs, more bullshit I expect. Basically they don't have a clue as to what they are doing there.

As hard as it is for me to comprehend what is going on I can not even imagine what my lovely wife must be thinking of this process. Especially since another fiance, came to the US with us and she was cleared three weeks ago.

I told them I could not even begin to comprehend regardless of how many people are filing their AOS. That a name check can not be done in six months. Once again no one could give me an answer. No wonder it is so easy for Terrorists to do damage here. Over six months to do a name check on someone that has already entered the country, absolutely unbelievable.

So I was wondering if you know of any number at the DOS I can call. This is just so dam frustrating.. I can not understand how anything gets done by the INS!!

With all due respect, I don't quite understand why all the fuss about the AOS approval.

I thought that once the AOS had been received, then she is officially "Adjustment of Status Pending", which I thought meant that she is safe from deportation??? Well maybe not deportation, then what?

I am also under the impression that if the AOS approval takes longer than 2 years due to the BCIS, this is not cause for deportation either???

bobmal99, or am I wrong, and she is on the brink of becoming deported because of expiration of some timeline, (which I'm not familiar with)?

Thanks

What this means is she has no stamp on her passport to travel in and out of the country. Can still do AP but they charge $120 and it is not guarenteed. Most importantly the two years for permanent status does not start until approval of the AOS.

However, there is no chance of deportation while the approval status is pending. Like everything about immigration the entire process is so very frustrating..

What this means is she has no stamp on her passport to travel in and out of the country. Can still do AP but they charge $120 and it is not guarenteed.  Most importantly the two years for permanent status does not start until approval of the AOS.

However, there is no chance of deportation while the approval status is pending. Like everything about immigration the entire process is so very frustrating..

Bob,

I am so sorry to hear that Lili has to wait the name check. If your guys want to travel, I would suggest to apply AP.

Good luck.

Piepie