few questions about flights in China

I am heading to Shenzhen in early December to finally meet Jia :P I have to fly through Shanghai to get to Shenzhen and I have a few questions.

1. The airline changes from american airline to royal dutch in Shenzhen (operated by China Southern Air). Do I have to recheck my bag or does it automatically transfer? I am hoping it automatically transfers

2. Do they speak English on the chinese airlines? my planes to and from shenzhen are operated by China Southern Air and then like Eastern China Air.

3. Would I go through customs at Shanghai or Shenzhen? Also how long does that usually take? I went to Beijing a couple of years ago and I dont think I was asked any questions. I stood in line the guy looked at my passport and that was it I think. I cant remember very clearly though.

I am heading to Shenzhen in early December to finally meet Jia :P I have to fly through Shanghai to get to Shenzhen and I have a few questions.

1. The airline changes from american airline to royal dutch in Shenzhen (operated by China Southern Air). Do I have to recheck my bag or does it automatically transfer? I am hoping it automatically transfers --- You may have to pick your bags up and have them rechecked even if they are checked all the way the to Shenzhen. You should ask the airline if they can check the bags all the way through. However, if it was me, I would pick the bags up in Shanghai, go through customs, and then check in for your domestic flight.

2. Do they speak English on the chinese airlines? my planes to and from shenzhen are operated by China Southern Air and then like Eastern China Air. ---Of course. Sometimes better than native english speakers.

3. Would I go through customs at Shanghai or Shenzhen? Also how long does that usually take? I went to Beijing a couple of years ago and I dont think I was asked any questions. I stood in line the guy looked at my passport and that was it I think. I cant remember very clearly though. --- Your port of entry is Shanghai. You will go through customs there. Count on about 1 hour from the time the plane lands to the time you get you get your luggage (including going through customs). Plan for a departure from Shanghai 2 hr after your arrival. Also be sure and check that your departure flight from Shanghai is from the same airport as your arrival flight. There are two airports in Shanghai. Pudong is mainly for International but also has domestic flights. Hongqiao is the opposite.

1) you re check bagage, Customs will want to inspect it. It is this way when returning to the USA even if not changing air carriers for example I use United from China to Chicago, and United from Chicago to home and need to re-check the bags.

2) Yes they speak English.

3) Shanghai, the first airport you land in in China.

1) you re check bagage, Customs will want to inspect it.

So you go to baggage claim before customs?

No..You go through customs first and then to baggage claim. If you baggage has been checked to Shenzhen you will still need to claim it and recheck it. If it has not been checked then you will need to check it in at the departure counter.

{edit} Repair quote tags

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Dan means that you carry it past the customs inspector. He may or may not pull you to the side to open and inspect your bags

Yes - there will be a baggage pick-up, before customs, and then a place to drop your checked baggage for continuing flights

{edit} repair quotes

Dan means that you carry it past the customs inspector. He may or may not pull you to the side to open and inspect your bags

Yes - there will be a baggage pick-up, before customs, and then a place to drop your checked baggage for continuing flights

Randy is right. I confused immigration with customs (to me they are the same). You will pick up your checked baggage after going through immigration check. You will take it to a special counter to rescreen it/recheck it if it was checked all the way through to Shenzhen. If only checked through to Shanghai you will have to recheck at the departure counter.

This is the same in Atlanta or Seoul...etc. Here is the process (from Shanghai Airlines website):

International arrivals to domestic departures at Pudong Airport

Process: Arrival- Health Quarantine Check-Immigration Check-Baggage Claim- Custom Declaration –Check-in-Security Check-Boarding

{edit} repair quotes

1. Yes, you'll pick up your luggage in Shanghai, then you'll go through customs which for me has always been quite easy. I've never once been stopped, and most of the time, there hasn't even been a officer in the customs (luggage) point check - we've simply walked though. Easy as pie. When you get off of the plane and they check our passport/visa - you'll give them your declaration pages.

2. They speak English, except, for us, (one time at the Guangzhou airport) when the airline lost our baggage, they didn't speak English very well. The did have a point menu to help passengers describe their luggage to them. I would highly advise you to put a copy of our itinerary and contact information in China. Our luggage followed us and reached our destination the next morning. Signs in the airport (BJ, Shanghai, GUZ) will also have English text to help you get on your way.

3. Shanghai (like I said, we've always went though with ease. The time it took depended on how fast we could walk.)

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Randy you are so helpful to others. Really a nice man! Edited by fineart (see edit history)

I just came back from Shenzhen a few weeks ago. Arrived in Shenzhen Oct 1 (National Day very fun) and left Oct 6. I flew from New Jersey to Beijing on Continental and then flew on Air China (or Asiana can't remember) from Beijing to Shenzhen.

1. I don't understand your question here. Are you flying out of Shenzhen again or do you land somewhere else and then go to Shenzhen? At the point of entry of the country of your destination you need to go through customs and another security check. I was worried about the customs in Beijing since I brought some presents for my gf's family. There were two lines, green (no declarations) and red, (declarations). I got into the red line because I was not sure and it forked back into the green line. No one stopped me and no one asked me what was in my luggage (cosmetics, liquor, ect). So since you have to go through customs you have to recheck your bag. It is not big deal. I was worried but Chinese airports are so logical, and my girlfriend was right. Just follow everyone else, haha.

2. They spoke English on the plane from Beijing to Shenzhen and also back. They had great service. Something that was really lacking flying back to New Jersey from Beijing. I never flew on China Southern Air before so I can't say so for them.

3. As I said in #1, you will go through customs in Shanghai. I only went through in Beijing and it was really fast. You get out of your plane and follow everyone else. You give them your passport and they look at you and let you pass (make sure you have your visa). The last time was my first time going to China so I also brought a letter from my girlfriend explaining why I was coming, but I had no problems at all. You go through this thing that checks for a fever. They are preventing H1N1 outbreaks. That was the only thing that worried me since I was sweaty from walking.

I am going back to Shenzhen in late December and early January. I hope you have a great time. My last trip was the first time I saw Jingyi. I will never forget the look of happiness when she first saw me walking from the luggage pickup. Shenzhen is an amazing city with friendly people. Keep yourself healthy on the plane and prepare for the pollution.

I am heading to Shenzhen in early December to finally meet Jia :) I have to fly through Shanghai to get to Shenzhen and I have a few questions.

1. The airline changes from american airline to royal dutch in Shenzhen (operated by China Southern Air). Do I have to recheck my bag or does it automatically transfer? I am hoping it automatically transfers

2. Do they speak English on the chinese airlines? my planes to and from shenzhen are operated by China Southern Air and then like Eastern China Air.

3. Would I go through customs at Shanghai or Shenzhen? Also how long does that usually take? I went to Beijing a couple of years ago and I dont think I was asked any questions. I stood in line the guy looked at my passport and that was it I think. I cant remember very clearly though.