Big Public Works Project

China is beginning a big new water diversion project. It will move water from the Yangtze to cities in the north. According to the article, the project will cost three times more than the Three Gorges Dam. It sounds like a good project to keep the economy humming.

I hope that the displaced people are properly compensated and relocated, and that they are not forced into agreements as the article alleges.

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091018/ap_on_.../as_china_water

China is beginning a big new water diversion project. It will move water from the Yangtze to cities in the north. According to the article, the project will cost three times more than the Three Gorges Dam. It sounds like a good project to keep the economy humming.

I hope that the displaced people are properly compensated and relocated, and that they are not forced into agreements as the article alleges.

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091018/ap_on_.../as_china_water

Nice. The money for the corruption can build several similar projects already, but no former learder ever did. Nice that Hu and Wen start this during their governing.

Many times the dispute is over how much they are compensated.

Yea..they will be forced to settle and they will be compensated...and there will be disagreement on the fairness of the compensation...

600 yuan (90 USD) a year/person for 20 years.....

Edited by whome? (see edit history)

Yea..they will be forced to settle and they will be compensated...and there will be disagreement on the fairness of the compensation...

That sounds about right. :rolleyes:

In Guangzhou the government had to compensate a whole bunch of people whose homes in the center of Guangzhou near what they call Beijing Lu. What very little new residential property there is in that area is very expensive, but the government only offered them something like 2,000 RMB per m2 -- only a fraction of what it would cost to buy anything in that area. People complained and held demonstrations ... finally they were told they'd be given either the 2k RMB / m2 or a new apartment -- in practically a small farming village way on the outskirts of Guangzhou. They were given 72 hours to decide before the army would "help" them clear out.

That sounds about right. :roller:

In Guangzhou the government had to compensate a whole bunch of people whose homes in the center of Guangzhou near what they call Beijing Lu. What very little new residential property there is in that area is very expensive, but the government only offered them something like 2,000 RMB per m2 -- only a fraction of what it would cost to buy anything in that area. People complained and held demonstrations ... finally they were told they'd be given either the 2k RMB / m2 or a new apartment -- in practically a small farming village way on the outskirts of Guangzhou. They were given 72 hours to decide before the army would "help" them clear out.

Gone were the good old days when you can get the people in the 60th birthday parade to help out moving the residents. In big cities, unless you are really, really connected, relocation risk is something no private developer can afford to take. On the other hand, our relocation in Sichuan was too sucessful and we got burnt. We negotiated with the local residents on the amount of compensation, set up a escrow account with the government and send people out to deliver a copy of the settlement agreement to each resident and posted the settlement amount on their doors. This is to ensure transparency and that no money goes into the side pockets of you know who. It was too sucessful, right before the earth quake. Well, despite a force Majoure clause, it is politically impossible to ask the living or the dead for our money back. In another province, our relocation went pretty well as well. We build buildings right on site and allow the residents being relocated to select which building they want to move in, at 1.5 times the space they used to have (of course we get the benefit of higher plot ratio). They traded in their little huts for space in a mordern apartment, use some extra space to rent out to generate cash income. If you treat them fairly, things will work out, except in Hainan. In Hainan, we negotiated a compensation basis and then, a few days later when we returned to survey the land. It was jam packed with newly planted coconut trees. I mean, there is no way those trees can grow at that density. Maybe I was wrong. We wished them a good harvest of coconuts and moved on.

As far as the water diversion project is concerned, I have heard about it since I was a child. I think in 1970, there was a canal dug in our home town in anticipation of the water being diverted from the Yangtze river. It was planted with cotton since then for the last 40 years, only flooded occasionally in some years by local rain.

That sounds about right. :D

Gone were the good old days when you can get the people in the 60th birthday parade to help out moving the residents. In big cities, unless you are really, really connected, relocation risk is something no private developer can afford to take. On the other hand, our relocation in Sichuan was too sucessful and we got burnt. We negotiated with the local residents on the amount of compensation, set up a escrow account with the government and send people out to deliver a copy of the settlement agreement to each resident and posted the settlement amount on their doors. This is to ensure transparency and that no money goes into the side pockets of you know who. It was too sucessful, right before the earth quake. Well, despite a force Majoure clause, it is politically impossible to ask the living or the dead for our money back. In another province, our relocation went pretty well as well. We build buildings right on site and allow the residents being relocated to select which building they want to move in, at 1.5 times the space they used to have (of course we get the benefit of higher plot ratio). They traded in their little huts for space in a mordern apartment, use some extra space to rent out to generate cash income. If you treat them fairly, things will work out, except in Hainan. In Hainan, we negotiated a compensation basis and then, a few days later when we returned to survey the land. It was jam packed with newly planted coconut trees. I mean, there is no way those trees can grow at that density. Maybe I was wrong. We wished them a good harvest of coconuts and moved on.

This was the way relocation, when old smaller apartments are torn down and new high rises are built, was explained to me by several people including my wife. However I did not want to post it since I had no confirmaiton. Thanks for the information.

That sounds about right. :)

This was the way relocation, when old smaller apartments are torn down and new high rises are built, was explained to me by several people including my wife. However I did not want to post it since I had no confirmaiton. Thanks for the information.

This is by far the exception rather than the norm.

Most relocations are handled directly by the government and not by the land developer. And the people getting relocated get the stinky end of the stick.

That sounds about right. :)

This is by far the exception rather than the norm.

Most relocations are handled directly by the government and not by the land developer. And the people getting relocated get the stinky end of the stick.

This was the way I was told it was "required" to be done. How it actually works I dont know. However a local USA lawyer here (in China off/on for 30 years) verified to me last night that in this city that is how it works.

I am sure it verifies all over China.