Need work permit after greencard?

My wife has been in the USA since April 2007, we finally got greencard in January 2009.

She finally gets a job interview in October 2009 (how sad it took that long).

She got a work permit in June of 2007. It expired 2 years from the day that she came into the USA, on April 23,2009.

I swear it seems like I remember hearing that you didn't need a work permit once a greencard was obtained. Is that correct? Do we need to renew the old expired one?

I totally forgot hers had expired, it took her 2+ years for an interview...as a cashier at a grocery store, and her with 2 bachelor degrees and bilingual.

My wife has been in the USA since April 2007, we finally got greencard in January 2009.

She finally gets a job interview in October 2009 (how sad it took that long).

She got a work permit in June of 2007. It expired 2 years from the day that she came into the USA, on April 23,2009.

I swear it seems like I remember hearing that you didn't need a work permit once a greencard was obtained. Is that correct? Do we need to renew the old expired one?

I totally forgot hers had expired, it took her 2+ years for an interview...as a cashier at a grocery store, and her with 2 bachelor degrees and bilingual.

The EAD card is no longer needed once she got the green card.

Green-Card is work permission.

Moving to correct forum, we are not talking about visas, we are talking about immigrations challenges.

When yan went to a temp agency they ran her green card through homeland security. Put her number into the computer and her green card showed up on the computer screen. One question asked was is the photo the same?. I had to explain to the owner what information they wanted online. For now this was pilot program . Many HR departments from smaller companies have no idea how to handle the green card question. Just be ready for this in the future.

When yan went to a temp agency they ran her green card through homeland security. Put her number into the computer and her green card showed up on the computer screen. One question asked was is the photo the same?. I had to explain to the owner what information they wanted online. For now this was pilot program . Many HR departments from smaller companies have no idea how to handle the green card question. Just be ready for this in the future.

Ready for what? What did this do, other than display her green card on the screen? Did this simply verify that her card wasn't a forgery?

What information did they want online?

Ready for what? What did this do, other than display her green card on the screen? Did this simply verify that her card wasn't a forgery?

What information did they want online?

It was my impression that this person never dealt with this system before. She had no idea what the A# was I had to show her. It has been a year and a half ago so my memory is a bit rusty . She did have a list of questions that she needed to answer.These dealt with making sure the card was corrrect. Fraud prevention is what this nationwide system is about. A different temp agency just xeroxed the green card. She did say they had been selected for this test program.

Our LPR friends in the states have had no issues gaining employment using their green card as identification. It sounds like these people were simply uncertain on how to process it.

How do you obtain a work permit? I thought you could work after getting a SS card.

For a K-1 the visa holder enters the USA, marries and the files to adjust status, when adjusting status the can file an I-765 for a work permit (EAD) that they can use while waiting for AOS to complete, once AOS is complete and the K-1 holder now has a green-card, they no longer need the work-permit (EAD), the green-card replaces it. The K-1 should not attempt to file for EAD before adjusting status, this EAD is only valid for 90 days after entry, and costs $340, and since USCIS in most cases cannot process the paper work in time to issue a valid EAD, in most cases the EAD is denied.

If entry to the USA is on a K-3 visa the visa holder can apply for a work permit before adjusting status or they can apply for one when they adjust status like the K-1 above.

If entry to the USA is on a CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visa, no work permit is needed, this visa holder gets green-card up entry to the USA

Having SSN is not work permission, SAA does not grant work permission, USCIS does.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)