Instruction Packet (P3) came today!

Woke up this morning way before my usual waking time with this really strong feeling that Penny was going to call and tell me she got the packet. Then as I was lying there in bed trying to go back to sleep, about a minute later, the phone rang. It was her, and the packet came!

Coincidentally, it was nine months ago today that I sent off the I-129F packet to CSC, armed only with the knowledge from this Nolo Press book I bought from Amazon. Man, was I naive then... :P

I have one more question (still kind of naive, I suppose). On the supplementary form, in item 4, they ask for the name in 'standard telegraphic code'. What's that? I thought she would know but she didn't either. Where would I get a list of this code?

She's going on a company trip this weekend so we won't be able to turn this around until next week, but I'm still pretty excited. Her too, I think. It's the first time since we started this that she has seen anything official from anywhere... :)

I saw on 001 that another girl with the same NVC date also got her P3 (oops, instruction packet), and all the folks I know of with July NVC dates got put into the computer this week, so hopefully they're making progress on getting more instruction packets out...

So if anyone can tell mw what these telepgraphic codes are, I'd be much obliged!

A very excited though sleepy Jerry...

I copied this info from the CUC newsgroup. I hope the instruction is still good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for converting chinese characters into chinese standard telegraphic code

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions are for people using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 and above.

If you are using something else, you will have to adapt these to your browser.

Go to: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. If you are running Windows 98 or Windows ME,

you should find a link under the START button in the lower left corner.

Download the two chinese display character sets from the windows update site if you don't have them.

Just download the display sets.

Next, you will need both the chinese characters you want to translate and their pinyin translations .

Go to: http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin/query...gi?table=ccdict

Select mandarin and english translation output options (not necessary, but helpful)

Select "show characters ALL"

Place the pinyin for the character in the selection box. If you know the tone add it to the end.

For example: "Li" is spoken in the third tone, so "li3" can be entered to reduce the list size.

Click on SEARCH and wait.

From the list, find the chinese character, and click on it. At the top you will find a U-code.

Write it down without the "+". Do this for all of the characters. You may want to print them out too.

Next, on the top bar of your browser, select VIEW ... TEXT SIZE ... LARGEST

Now, go to: http://deall.ohio-state.edu/grads/chan.200...misc/gbtele.txt

Wait patiently for it to load, then go to the end of the file (CONTROL-END)

Right-click anywhere on the screen, select ENCODING, then MORE, then CHINESE SIMPLIFIED GB

Wait PATIENTLY for the screen to convert the characters.

Use the FIND feature (CONTROL-F) to search for the front part of the U-code. Start at the botom of

the file and search upwards. Search for "uxx" where "xx" is the first 2 digits of the code. There will be

several. You may find more than one character that matches closely, or only one that is exact, or

only one that is "kind of close". Write down all of the codes.

Go to the Chinese_Telegraphic_Codes.pdf file in this directory, and search for the codes you wrote down.

The file is organized as a 10 X 10 table per page, so codes 0000 to 0099 are on page 1, etc. Verify

the characters against the codes on this table.

Jerry, congratulations!!!!! Looks like you beat me to the P3 :)

Just a few more questions:

1) Was the address label in Chinese?

2) Are the contents of the packet exactly the same as the one you posted on your web site?

I got an email from GZ this morning, saying they sent mine out this week as well...1 step closer

Jason

I copied this info from the CUC newsgroup.  I hope the instruction is still good.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for converting chinese characters into chinese standard telegraphic code

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony,

Thanks very much for these instructions! Far more detailed than I had expected. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get out of bed. Typing on this laptop keyboard is a pain... :)

Jerry

Jerry, congratulations!!!!! Looks like you beat me to the P3  :)

Just a few more questions:

1) Was the address label in Chinese?

2) Are the contents of the packet exactly the same as the one you posted on your web site?

I got an email from GZ this morning, saying they sent mine out this week as well...1 step closer

Jason

I forgot to ask her about the label, though we talked just last night (noon time for her) and I mentioned that the address may be in pinyin and she said she had never even heard of people using pinyin on envelopes, so she should have said something if it wasn't in Chinese. I'll ask her next time I talk to her.

The forms that need to go back (DS-230, OF-167, and the supplmentary info sheet) are identical to the ones on the web site. Though she said she got 7 sheets and now I think about it, the above only accounts for 5. I know that there is suppose to be a OF-169 that is also included that is not in the downloadable zip file, though that's suppose to be just an informational form. Nothing to fill out or return. Maybe that's what it was. I'll ask her that too...

Jerry

Jerry, she can get the STC from the tigtag.com site or go to the post office and look it up in their book.

Is it the search box at the bottom right of the tigtag.com home page where it says ÖÐÎĵçÂë²éѯ?

Jerry

Congratulations!!! Yes, you can get the STC from tigtag.com.

Forms need to be sent back to GZ consulate is:

1. Packet 3 supplemental Information Sheet ( need to fill the STC in this form )

2. DS-230 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration ( English )

3. Of-169 Instructions for Immigrant Visa Applicants (ÒÆÃñÇ©Ö¤ÉêÇë˵Ã÷) ( a checklist for all the documents you have obtained, such as Passport, Birth Certificate, Police Certificate,etc. one set forms both in English and Chinese)

No need to send back OF-167.

Good luck

Karen

Thanks for all the well wishes! I hadn't realized how stressed out I was over this simple packet until after it came. All the adrenaline just flowed out of my body Friday, and I just felt this 'winding-down' feeling you get right after you finish a big presentation or meet an important deadline. Just collapsed and went to sleep right after work and didn't get up for long while... :P

So at 4 in the morning, I started going through the 001 archives for about a dozen pages for so. It really surprised me how chaotic (as in 'non-ordered') the process was at the consulate. There are still people from July waiting for P3's! There are folks who got their P4 in two weeks and ones who have been waiting over three months with no news. It's like one giant dice roll at the consulate. You really need to have done some good deeds in your previous life. :P

Really felt for the woman whose husband has been applying for K3 unsuccessfully over and over (didn't include all the materials, then didn't include the fee, then mailed to the wrong place, etc.). Wish there was something I could do to help these folks...

Jerry