Passport not valid long enough

My finance Stephanie got her visa back in May 22 of this year when I went to visit her. She had to stay because a family member became sick and then later died.

She tried to leave this past Tuesday but was short by 5 days on her passport. They told her she needed a valid 6 months left on her passport to be able to leave.

She did go today and get her new passport and was allowed to keep her old passport.

Will it cause any problems that her K1-visa is in the old one?

Frank

I am assuming that she has a Chinese passport with her K-1 visa in it. And she has her new passport with no visas in it. She will need both. The visa in her old passport is still valid. She will need the new passport to show that she has the 6 month validity. Just keep them both together.

My finance Stephanie got her visa back in May 22 of this year when I went to visit her. She had to stay because a family member became sick and then later died.

She tried to leave this past Tuesday but was short by 5 days on her passport. They told her she needed a valid 6 months left on her passport to be able to leave.

She did go today and get her new passport and was allowed to keep her old passport.

Will it cause any problems that her K1-visa is in the old one?

Frank

I'm told by the Immigration folks that all you have to do is take the old passport along with the new passport - and there will be no problem. This will be especially true when you had to get a "new one" because of the lack of 6 months remaining. You should be set with both in hand.

May have to visit a US consulate and have visa re-issued into newer passport.

Contact the nearest consulate, or Guangzhou.

since the K-Visa ia a NON-Immigrant visa the visa information call center may be able too set an appointment to the nearest consulate to get ir re-issued.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/vi...on_center_.html

I am surprised the consulate issued a 6 month visa in a passport that had that short of a validity left in it.

• 4 weeks later...