Visa for China

I'd avoid the Howard Johnson in Shanghai.

But why Guangzhou? If everything works out, you will have plenty of time to see the city together. ;)

Because that's where my family lives or I live!!!!

The flight to Guanghzou is expensive and very long, the flights to HK are long too!! So we decided to go to Shanghai, visit a little the city and then visit my city. Next time, perhaps we will visit Beijing or HK.

I'd avoid the Howard Johnson in Shanghai.

But why Guangzhou? If everything works out, you will have plenty of time to see the city together. ;)

Because that's where my family lives or I live!!!!

The flight to Guanghzou is expensive and very long, the flights to HK are long too!! So we decided to go to Shanghai, visit a little the city and then visit my city. Next time, perhaps we will visit Beijing or HK.

Well that's a good reason!

I had my passport sent to the consulate in Huston . I requested a multi entry visa 90 days each trip. I just asked for normal handling time, and got it back in about 2 weeks. Had no problems at all.

Thank you all guys.

My fianc¨¦ just booked the ticket this morning!! His mother will go next Monday or so. He get more than a month for the visa. So, I think everything will be fine.

He's never been to China and he's so excited about the trip !! We will first meet in Shanghai and then travel to Guangzhou. Any recommandations for Shanghai? Hotels, restaurants, sightseeing.

I wonder which hotel allow us to stay together; Some hotels refuse a Chinese girl stay with a foreigner.

If you don't have a marriage license, some of the biggest hotels will not let you two register together for a room. And if you don't register together, these same hotels will not allow you to spend the night.

Not all hotels are like that, but in Guangzhou China Hotel and Garden Hotel usually are. A lot in Beijing are, too. In Shanghai you can try 7 Days Inn. They're pretty lax I heard.

Well FWIW I stayed in a 5 star hotel in Beijing and a 7 days with Ying and never had an issue. 5 star in Guilin no problem. 3 and 4 star in Guangzhou no problems. Howard Johnson in Shanghai and the only problem was the toilet and rude customer service. Shenzhen 3 and 4 stars no problems. Assorted $10 a night family owned places all over and no problems.

That said a member here related a pretty scary story related to this subject to me personally that I won't repeat without there permission. So yeah it goes on. But I wouldn't expect problems. Heck just stay around the consulate in Guangzhou. It's not like there aren't a bunch of laowei with their fiancees in rooms already. Safety in numbers.

Well FWIW I stayed in a 5 star hotel in Beijing and a 7 days with Ying and never had an issue. 5 star in Guilin no problem. 3 and 4 star in Guangzhou no problems. Howard Johnson in Shanghai and the only problem was the toilet and rude customer service. Shenzhen 3 and 4 stars no problems. Assorted $10 a night family owned places all over and no problems.

That said a member here related a pretty scary story related to this subject to me personally that I won't repeat without there permission. So yeah it goes on. But I wouldn't expect problems. Heck just stay around the consulate in Guangzhou. It's not like there aren't a bunch of laowei with their fiancees in rooms already. Safety in numbers.

I would not worry about it...in over 3 years with my gf/wife we never had a problem with this anywhere we have gone in China including GUZ. If she books the room and registers then many times they never if ask me for my passport even when I am standing there.

However it is a large country and maybe others have experienced a problem so just be prepared...as long as you act like a married couple and are confident (kinda of like for the visa interview) I don't think you will have any trouble.

At 7 Days Inn (i.e., the bright yellow buildings) you indeed won't have any problem. Guangzhou has them as well. If you're a cheapskate you can pre-register and earn points to eventually get a free night.

:(

Actually, that chain isn't bad. I stayed in one once in Shanghai because it happened to be half a block from a meeting venue amd found it clean and comfortable with WiFi.

Hotels that don't have security posted at elevators, elevators in view of the reception desk or floor wardens are always a good bet if you are not married.

Yeah I thought the 7 Days in Beijing was really nice. Simple, compact but nice. I'd compare it to an updated Holiday Inn Express here - except with a glass shower that allows for a fun show for anyone else in the room with you. :lol:

Yeah I thought the 7 Days in Beijing was really nice. Simple, compact but nice. I'd compare it to an updated Holiday Inn Express here - except with a glass shower that allows for a fun show for anyone else in the room with you. <_<

For real compact try Hong Kong ... anyplace in Hong Kong. :)

At 7 Days Inn (i.e., the bright yellow buildings) you indeed won't have any problem. Guangzhou has them as well. If you're a cheapskate you can pre-register and earn points to eventually get a free night.

B)

Actually, that chain isn't bad. I stayed in one once in Shanghai because it happened to be half a block from a meeting venue amd found it clean and comfortable with WiFi.

Hotels that don't have security posted at elevators, elevators in view of the reception desk or floor wardens are always a good bet if you are not married.

Got to agree about the 7 Days Inn (also the Home Inn found in north China). If you want a small but clean room (usually new or newer building) for less than 150 RMB then this is the way to go. There are located everywhere and if plan to spend only a little time in the room and most of it out and about then this is the way to go in China.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Multientry toursit visa in Houston. I ordered rush service and got it the next day.

I flew to Shenzhen and had my girlfriend pick out the hotel for me. I was the only foreigner staying at the hotel and they treated me very well. My girlfriend and her parents must have checked to make sure the hotel was good enough for me about 4 times. They made a copy of my passport but that was all. I was the only one to sign for the hotel so there was no issues about me and my girlfriend sharing the hotel room at all.

Hello,

My fiance will ask for the tourist visa for China next week.

He wants to order the plane tickets now as the prices are unstable. The ticket is non refundable so if he cant get the visa, the money will be gone.

I think that he wouldnt have problems getting the visa but just I'd like some confirmation of people here who ever got a visa for China.

My fiance is an US citizen, in houston.

Thank you all

Jiali

Hello,

My fiance will ask for the tourist visa for China next week.

He wants to order the plane tickets now as the prices are unstable. The ticket is non refundable so if he cant get the visa, the money will be gone.

I think that he wouldnt have problems getting the visa but just I'd like some confirmation of people here who ever got a visa for China.

My fiance is an US citizen, in houston.

Thank you all

Jiali

I always get the visa for the country I am going to before I buy the ticket. I've never had any problem getting a visa to the PRC and after receiving several they give me a 2 year multi-entry. Y'all can walk it through at the consulate in HOU.

• 1 month later...

I had my passport sent to the consulate in Huston . I requested a multi entry visa 90 days each trip. I just asked for normal handling time, and got it back in about 2 weeks. Had no problems at all.

Thank you all guys.

My fianc¨¦ just booked the ticket this morning!! His mother will go next Monday or so. He get more than a month for the visa. So, I think everything will be fine.

He's never been to China and he's so excited about the trip !! We will first meet in Shanghai and then travel to Guangzhou. Any recommandations for Shanghai? Hotels, restaurants, sightseeing.

I wonder which hotel allow us to stay together; Some hotels refuse a Chinese girl stay with a foreigner.

Not really an issue.....I stayed with my fiance in Guangzhou without any trouble, it never came up....I like the Team Ease hotel, not too far from the Consulate, many good places to eat within an easy walk, even a McDonald's, KFC, and a good coffee place....the streets not too busy....nice area....also a good price, clean....much better than hotels nearer the Consulate....several nice Chinese hotels on this street. I'll try to get the name of the street...let's see...183 Longkou West Road.....ask for a discount if you are staying longer than one day....be firm about getting the discount, you have to be tough.

Hope this helps.

Steve