Microsoft's Windows phones hit the market

Looks like MS is playing catch-up to apple, offering an applications marketplace where people can easily find and install new applications to their phone. I have a Motorola Q with windows mobile 5 on it, finding downloading and installing applications to it is a pain.

Been using Windows Mobile for years and although it is annoying and buggy it was also there years and years before the IPhone.

I personally think the IPhone is 'cooler,' and is a much better designed product with a far nicer user interface and experience. The problem is the business world still runs on MS OS's and Office as far as most end users are concerned, so Apple needs seamless integration with Exchange, Office docs, etc.

It's an interesting time for Microsoft. Google is a huge powerhouse in search and is expanding into several other areas. Apple is the clear winner with the IPhone, ITunes, and is geared towards the people who believe they are trendy (at first) but then other people jump on because Apple does offer some cool things.

I'm using an HTC touch pro. I'm sure hardware-wise it could easily run Mobile 6.5, but 6.1 is fine for just about everything.

Doesn't seem like anything can stop the iPhone though, and now there is talk Verizon will get a version. I saw on Gizmodo that the Palm pre may have only sold 800,000 units. Guess that was supposed to be the closest competitor.

Doesn't seem like anything can stop the iPhone though, and now there is talk Verizon will get a version. I saw on Gizmodo that the Palm pre may have only sold 800,000 units. Guess that was supposed to be the closest competitor.

Oh I agree, but the irony is the IPhone and Apple aims at being trendy, different, cutting edge, which is why you have people who adopt Apple tech early.

However, with massive success and such a popular device you get to the point where it is far more likely to find someone with an IPhone than without, so other brands and devices that are not as common actually stand out because they are not a dime a dozen.

I remember setting up a personal IPhone to read our company's exchange mail for a friend. The guy didn't even know you could access work email through his phone.

Being able to slide your fingers to switch photos or menu's, having a nice large screen, and being able to take a (non flash) photo was enough coolness for him.

The smartest consumers are the ones who know what they need, think about features they may want, examine the market for the best device filling those specs, and then do a cost/benefit analysis to pick the most effective device. Often times the most popular, expensive, or newest device isn't the one most suited for the user.

M$ has no creativity or quality assurance. 20 years later they are still trying to do whatever Apple is doing. But they do it so poorly.

They still control 94% market share on PC's. Apple can be a very profitable niche company with mainstream hits like the IPhone and ITunes, but that's it.

Been using Apple since the Apple II, Mac SE, etc., from the very start, so I am not a Microsoft fanboi. Just from a practical IT standpoint they are still the leaders; at least for now.

That is great. I always trust MS' direction to proceed for their scientific products. I will buy one of their phones after my present phone's contract ends.