POE Airports

A question about using Newark as POE. There is only an one and a half hour layover between flights. It that enough time to make her way through immigrations and customs and make it to her connecting flight? She would probably be taking Continental from Beijing to Japan to Newark to Hartford.

Thanks,

Gary

Probably. But if the plane is late or the line is long, you may have a problem.

We made it through in an hour, but you may want to give yourself more time.

A question about using Newark as POE. There is only an one and a half hour layover between flights. It that enough time to make her way through immigrations and customs and make it to her connecting flight? She would probably be taking Continental from Beijing to Japan to Newark to Hartford.

Thanks,

Gary

I usually take Continental EWR to PEK and back....it's non-stop on a B-777, <14 hours. Once I had a connection 35 minutes later and made it, but I was running and line jumping and when I got to the gate they yelled at me,"Go! Hurry!...I don't do that anymore. My last trip it took me 1 1/2 hours to get to my next gate. It is a very busy A/P and Passport Control is always busy in the afternoon. When Lao po and I fly in the first time we are planning on a 2 1/2 hour connect time. Last trip I spoke with an ICE Officer and he told me their interview takes 15 minutes and they allow the spouse to be present...unlike other POE, he said.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/newark-liberty.html

Thanks,

Gary

Yin used Newark as her POE (from HKG). We had decided to take our return flight to Pittsburgh 4 hours from arrival in EWR, instead of a flight 2 hours out, to be sure to give us enough time at EWR. During immigration, we were escourted by an officer carrying her documents to the "immigration room". The flight I came in on had many newborn adoptions, and I noticed very specifically that people with children seemed to go first. I also remember trying to make a phone call, and being told (which I knew) that no cell phones were allowed to be on. The whole process took close to an hour. However, after we cleared immigration and went through customs, we got the "open every bag" treatment, which took some time. When we had cleared customs, there was a line to forward your bags to PIT and then go through security again. When all was said and done, our luggage actually made the earlier flight. As it turned out, we could have made it through everything in one and a half hours, but it would have been fairly close. To make matters worse, we found our EWR-PIT flight delayed by several hours, which made our trip much longer.

To answer your question, I would say it can be done, but you might feel a little rushed. If you miss your next flight, I'm not sure what the airline policy is due to being stuck in immigration. As someone who traveled much with work and missed flight because of traffic or meetings, the legacy airlines used to be fairly liberal and actually let you fly standby on other flights to your destination that they had throughout the day (e.g. a later flight), but I'm not sure what currently policies are in place now.

Edited by bokiwen (see edit history)

My fiance and I are planning to buy our flight tickets here in China in our local city, and just go with whatever route we end up with so long as it takes us to Chicago as our final destination.

We've got info for several flights next month that only cost around 3,500 yuan per ticket and that sounds great but I'm concerned because the routes are all Beijing-Seattle-Chicago... can we use Seattle as our POE? How will that work once we get to Chicago?

Anyone have input? thanks!

Yes, you can. Your POE isn't your final destination, but where ever you cross the border, and enter US soil.

For example.

Our final destination will be Kansas City, but our POE will be Houston. We'll get in around 9 PM, go through customs and Jingjing will go through her immigration line. We'll spend the night in Houston and make our connecting flight to KC in the morning.

You will not have to go through the immigration/visitor processing ordeal after your initial check at your POE- in your case Seattle After reaching Seattle, you'll move to the domestic flights terminal, where you'll connect to Chi-town

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

There has been some debate whether or not a transit visa is technically needed to have a stop in Canada. I know a couple here in Portland that the wife went to China before getting her green card on advanced parole. She booked a return flight with a stop in Vancouver BC. When she went to board the plane the airline wouldn't let her board without a Canadian transit visa. There have also been other reports that LPRs in the process of removing conditions on their green cards being denied boarding by airlines if the card is expired even if they have the 12 month extension letter with them.

In short it is wise to play it safe. Don't book a flight with a stop in Canada unless you have a green card. Don't travel to China if you are removing conditions on your green card until the process is complete and you have the 10 year green card in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Related to POE:

I'm assuming that I can put my kitchen sink through a paper shredder, now that we have Jingjing's passport/entry permit to the U.S. Is this correct? The only things we're keeping are the three white books (police cert, marriage cert, and birth cert), unopened medical packet and x-ray. I have everything that I'm shredding backed up on a USB.

Related to POE:

I'm assuming that I can put my kitchen sink through a paper shredder, now that we have Jingjing's passport/entry permit to the U.S. Is this correct? The only things we're keeping are the three white books (police cert, marriage cert, and birth cert), unopened medical packet and x-ray. I have everything that I'm shredding backed up on a USB.

Your choice. But the sealed packet from GUZ is turned in at the POE. That is your immigration file.

Related to POE:

Your choice. But the sealed packet from GUZ is turned in at the POE. That is your immigration file.

Thanks, Randy. That's what we figured. Although I assumed that there wouldn't be any need for an additional review of my domicile evidence or financial documents (since our case was already approved), I just wanted to make sure.

Related to POE:

Thanks, Randy. That's what we figured. Although I assumed that there wouldn't be any need for an additional review of my domicile evidence or financial documents (since our case was already approved), I just wanted to make sure.

did they give your wife back her "three white books" at the interview or did she not have to hand them in?

My fiance got two sets in the beginning... the first set was sent off in the initial process to the USICS, and the final set was handed in at the interview--- and they kept them.

Now we're wondering if he needs to go through the trouble of getting yet another set for immigration in the States?! :blink:

My wife had two copies of the police certificates made, and 3 copies of our wedding certificate and birth certificate made.

We made some extra copies just in case we would need them once we arrived in the States. We may not need them, but we thought it was better safe than sorry.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...