Heard about another visa denial today

There is a guy in California that reads Candle posts, and I don't know him, but he e-mailed me. I don't know if he posts to this board, but he told me today his wife's visa was denied. She doesn't speak English and he doesn't speak Chinese, and the consulate wants a 5 minute video of him speaking Chinese and writing characters. He is also 69, she's 49. It's always disturbing to hear about a denial. Although my wife speaks English, and I understand her no problem, her pronouciation isn't that great. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the consulate is not convinced they communicate; thus the denial.

This is not the first denial for such a reason (not convinced of relationship due to no way to communicate). The solution in other such cases was for the petitioner to submit proofs that he could communicate in her language. A video of him speaking in her tongue.

I doubt the age difference influenced the consulate's decision at all. Many couples here have quite an age difference. In fact, I am 19 years my wife's senior.

In such a case where neither person speaks the other's language, I myself even wonder how such a relationship could develop. It must be difficult. I can see how with the naturally suspicious BCIS could question the relationship's validity. They are going to have to learn a common language eventually. Might as well do it now.

I am sorry to hear this man's problems. If the consulate is asking for additional evidince, the presumably the door is open to present the case again at a later date. Of course, they should verify if there is a deadline they must meet.

Do they communicate?

How have they been communicating over the last year? Can they print out all of the e-mails that they have sent back and forth to indicate communication?

Do either of them use electronic pocket-translators? Some are supposed to be good enough that you can speak one language in and it speaks the other language back.

What is their plan from this point forward? Even with the best electronic devices they will eventually have to learn a common language. I would say that the husband should at least learn a few greetings in the wife's language, if not some rudimentary communication. The wife should plan on enrolling in a class too.

Actually, I am surprised that she didn't enroll in a class while they were waiting for a visa.

Do they have any 3-month INTENSE English language classes in China? If she could get 1st year college equivalence language, she probably could return to the consulate and have a much better chance of getting the visa, especially if the two visited each other again during that period and were able to communicate without an interpreter.

-----------

When I was returning to Moscow during my last trip on an all-night train ride, I met a Russian woman who spoke very little English. And, of course, my Russian leaves a lot to be desired. We had a wonderful conversation for hours by just trading a dictionary back and forth, pointing to a single word at a time. We laughed together about a drunk Russian that came to "shake my hand"..... :P Hmmm, 1-word sentences.... just like being 2 yrs old again :D

Anyway, it doesn't take much to communicate..... But, for a relationship to flourish, it needs more than a half a dozen words in common.

------ Clifford ------

There is a guy in California that reads Candle posts, and I don't know him, but he e-mailed me.  I don't know if he posts to this board, but he told me today his wife's visa was denied.  She doesn't speak English and he doesn't speak Chinese, and the consulate wants a 5 minute video of him speaking Chinese and writing characters.  He is also 69, she's 49.  It's always disturbing to hear about a denial.  Although my wife speaks English, and I understand her no problem, her pronouciation isn't that great. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the consulate is not convinced they communicate; thus the denial.

Why don't they make the Chinese fiancee do a video speaking English? It is easier to learn English than Chinese.

There is a guy in California that reads Candle posts, and I don't know him, but he e-mailed me.  I don't know if he posts to this board, but he told me today his wife's visa was denied.  She doesn't speak English and he doesn't speak Chinese, and the consulate wants a 5 minute video of him speaking Chinese and writing characters.  He is also 69, she's 49.  It's always disturbing to hear about a denial.  Although my wife speaks English, and I understand her no problem, her pronouciation isn't that great.   I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the consulate is not convinced they communicate; thus the denial.

Why don't they make the Chinese fiancee do a video speaking English? It is easier to learn English than Chinese.

Since when have they ever wanted to make anything easier. ;)

Why don't they make the Chinese fiancee do a video speaking English?  It is easier to learn English than Chinese.

I assume that they have already tested her English ability in the interview. Of course, I am sure the interview is an EXTREMELY stressful situation, and not easy place to judge the woman’s English language. Either the interviewer spoke Chinese, or an interpreter was there. It can be VERY difficult to jump into the middle of a conversation and speak a few “meaningful” words in a foreign language.

She needs to have the visa application suspended for a couple of months and enroll in an English course (I believe that delaying any return visit can be done). The husband should plan to visit her sometime while she is studying to show that they do have a relationship (and are now able to communicate in a common language). Perhaps they could even do the follow-up interview together.

If she comes to the USA, knowing English can be a lifesaver. She will be leaving all of her friends and family, and other support groups behind. However, isolation can be VERY DANGEROUS. Not knowing English, she will have difficulty getting a job. She won’t be able to scream “HELP” to a neighbor, and may even have difficulties dialing 911. She could become 100% dependent on a man that she can’t even talk to.

Studying English is the best option.

----- Cliff ------

Before my fiancee had her interview (Nov 22, 02), there was someone else that had to make the tape. My fiancee knew maybe three words of English when I first visited her. I knew one Chinese word, niahao. After hearing of this first tape request I figured I was going to get the same. I bought my now wife an audio translator, made myself a ten minute tape using it as a translator, being taped. This was just in case. Fortunately, even though her interview was all Chinese she was approved. She and me have used the translator for the past eight months and our language differences have never been a problem.