Naturalization of a child

Hi all

Long time since I visited - life is busy!

We are trying to apply for citizenship for my wife and step daughter. I'm quite confused reading the USCIS guide.

By the time my wife gets citizenship my step-daughter will be 17. Will she be able to just get a passport or will she need to file N-600?

The forms don't indicate that we need supporting documents, but some posts here do - can you tell me which is correct?

thanks

1) Does my child qualify for automatic citizenship under the CCA?

Under CCA, your child will automatically acquire U.S. citizenship on the date that all of the following requirements are satisfied:

* At least one adoptive parent is a U.S. citizen,

* The child is under 18 years of age,

* If the child is adopted, a full and final adoption of the child, and

* The child is admitted to the United States as an immigrant

2) Do I have to apply to USCIS for my child's citizenship?

No. If your child satisfies the requirements listed above, he or she automatically acquires U.S. citizenship by operation of law on the day he or she is admitted to the United States as an immigrant. Your child¡¯s citizenship status is no longer dependent on USCIS approving a naturalization application.

My own interpretation of this (it's not completely specific - I'm assuming that it does not actually require an adoption) is that the daughter gains citizenship automatically when the mother naturalizes

Back to your question, though - she would need a Certificate of Citizenship - or - "You can also apply for a U.S. passport from the Department of State."

If your child permanently resides in the U.S, you can obtain evidence of your child¡¯s citizenship by applying for a Certificate of Citizenship. You will need to file form N-600 (Application for Certificate of Citizenship) and submit it to the local USCIS District Office or Sub-Office that holds jurisdiction over your permanent residence. You can also apply for a U.S. passport from the Department of State.