Latest Marital/Non-Marital Status Certificate

Other then copy of Notized Divorced Certificate (China) and copy of Divorced Decree (U.S.) provided at initial filling (I-129F), is there sush this called Marital/Non-marital Status Certificate? Will bring along originals for the interview.

I've been told that the VO may ask for the Marital/Non-marital Status Certificates from both to make sure that both still single since last divorce.

Kinda make sense to me... How about you?

If so, where can I get it?

Other then copy of Notized Divorced Certificate (China) and copy of Divorced Decree (U.S.) provided at initial filling (I-129F), is there sush this called Marital/Non-marital Status Certificate?  Will bring along originals for the interview.

I've been told that the VO may ask for the Marital/Non-marital Status Certificates from both to make sure that both still single since last divorce.

Kinda make sense to me...  How about you?

If so, where can I get it?

Joe,

Being single (never married), I have nothing that will show that I am "single", other than a pile of 1040 forms that are filed as "single".

Other than a 1040 form (which you will presumably supply), I can't think of any other document that I've seen that says that I am "not married".

Perhaps someone else knows something else.

A notrarized affidavit wouldn't give any more info than what you have already included on the I-129/I-130 forms.

----- Clifford ----

For the interview, only the Chinese applicant needs a single certificate. It can be obtained at the Notary Office and translated for a fee. The USC does not need one - there is nothing comparable in the US. They only need proof of death or divorce from a prior marriage.

Don is right on. We obtained said certificate for Li at the same place we obtained much of her other paperwork. Be advised, I think this certificate has a one year validity. After that, you have to get another one. Same with the police certificate.

Guest blsqueaky

I remember that when I got married over there, I had to have one to attach to my divorce papers, but if I remember right that is only if you are from a few different states here.

I am from Ohio, so I had to send to the Atty General here, get their seal on it, then send to the Chinese embassy in NY for them to authenticate.

Thanks all for the replies...

I understand the USC part.

As for Chinese Citizen, do they need to get this Marital/Non-Marital Certificate?

We have the Notized Divorced Certificate obtain from Puplic Notary Office after paying a small fee. Is it not enough?

Perhaps the VO want to make sure Chinese fiancee is eligible to get married again? i.e. protect USC ;-)

Guest Long_strider

For the Chinese Citizen, they will also need to obtain a certficate of single status from the local notary.

If they have been married and divorced before they will also need to obtain notarized copies of the divorce decree.

Each of these will need to include an English Translation.

The rationale for the single status certficate is show proof that the individual has not legally married at all per the records or since their divorce decree, if previously married.

The single status certficate is valid for a period of 12 months.

Essentially this means that at the time of the Chinese citizen's interview at the U.S. Consulate the certficate must still be valid. Sometimes this is a problem if there have been long delays that have pushed the process and date of interview beyond the 12 month period. This can also occur with a police certficate. In those circumstances a second single certifice must be obtained.

Hope this helps.

Mi

For the Chinese Citizen, they will also need to obtain a certficate of single status from the local notary. 

If they have been married and divorced before they will also need to obtain notarized copies of the divorce decree.

Each of these will need to include an English Translation.

The rationale for the single status certficate is show proof that the individual has not legally married at all per the records or since their divorce decree, if previously married.

The single status certficate is valid for a period of 12 months. 

Essentially this means that at the time of the Chinese citizen's interview at the U.S. Consulate the certficate must still be valid.  Sometimes this is a problem if there have been long delays that have pushed the process and date of interview beyond the 12 month period. This can also occur with a police certficate.  In those circumstances a second single certifice must be obtained. 

Hope this helps.

Mi

Thanks long_strider. information I was looking for.

My MM told me that the Public Notary Office there does not issue the said Certificate. That task is left up to their Local/Neighborhood or place of employment there.

For those who have gone through the process, did you prepare the Certifiacte or did the VO ask to see this. We'll do it anyway, just in acse, but wants to see how common this is...

Guest Long_strider

Yuqing lived in GZ and the Notary completed the single status certficate with the English translation. Must be a different process in different cities in China.

We sent a copy of the certificate in with the initial application to NSC and carried the original into the interview in GZ. Not sure if the VO ever looked at it during the interview process.

Yuqing lived in GZ and the Notary completed the single status certficate with the English translation.  Must be a different process in different cities in China.

We sent a copy of the certificate in with the initial application to NSC and carried the original into the interview in GZ. Not sure if the VO ever looked at it during the interview process.

My fiancee, lives in GZ, was told by the Notary Office in GZ that they do not have to authority to issue the Marital/Non-Marital Certificate since they really don't have the record/history of the person trying to get the certificate. That task is left to the local/neighborhood office where the person lives since they control what's going on in their district.

I know the Notary Office in GZ can issue the Notized Divorced Certificate (translated to English), as we have gotten it. But the Marital Certificate...

If one has never been marry, perhaps the Notary office can do this?

We are talking about two different certificates here, right? Just want to be sure...

JoeCool,

I sent you a PM with additional details.

Long_strider,

Got your PM. thanks. I post here so that other may benefit...

My MM did you you suggested a couple of days ago. The GZ/GD Notary Office refused.

She got a letter from her neighborhood district office and took it over to Notary and they again refused this morning, GZ time.

They then suggested her to get a letter from her place of employment, which she did, and they finally accepted it. The Marital Status Certificate can be picked up early next week.

Thank you all for inputs!