P3 Packet questions

I have some questions regarding the P3 packet documents my fianc¨¦e is to obtain as listed in Form 169 and whether the documents she obtained will be accepted by the consulate.

Unobtainable birth certificates ¨C As my fianc¨¦e was born at home she obtained a statement of her birth giving the date and location and the names of her parents from her parent¡¯s village official. This statement was stamped by village official apparently authorized to administer such affirmations.

Police Certificate ¨C My fianc¨¦e created her own document based on information from the 001 website which she then took to the Police authorities to certify. They in turn stamped the document after verifying that she has no record.

Unmarried Certificate ¨C My fianc¨¦e created her own document, again based on information from the 001 website, which she then took to the local marriage registry office. Unfortunately they would not certify it. They told her that she needed to take it to a notary public which would give her an official notarized statement.

Translations ¨C She took the certificates to a local notary public office, which provided their own Chinese version of the original document plus an English translation certified by a notary public to the accuracy of the translation.

Each was placed in a folder containing their Chinese version of the original certificate, the English translation and a document certifying the accuracy stamped by the notary.

The notary told my fianc¨¦e that the original certificates she obtained

from the police and the village official would not be needed by the consulate and that they would accept theirs.

The concern I have is that after inspecting the English translations I noticed the address where they indicate she resides is actually her parent¡¯s address not the address of her apartment.

When I questioned her about this she and the notary stated that it was correct because it is supposed to match the address in her family¡¯s house book since she has lived in her apartment for less than five years.

Questions:

1. Will the consulate accept the unmarried certificate provided by the notary?

2. Will the consulate accept the notarized police, birth and unmarried certificates that state her residence as her parents address?

3. Will the consulate accept the notary¡¯s version of the original Chinese certificates or should she also take the original certificates?

Thanks

Speaking concerning the notarized police certificate, my wife picked up an "official" form that she was supposed to use (this is in Wuhan though, and practices may vary depending on where you are). I believe she picked this up from the notary office in Wuhan. You may ask your local notary office if they can give any insight on this.

Not all notary services are created equal (at least this has been our experience) Our notarized documents came in a nice white book, titled (公证书) - It was pressure sealed and ink stamped, and her (or hers and mine) picture inside - both English and Chinese translations, accompanied with a statement certifying the accuracy of the documents. If I were you I'd make sure it is a notary office affiliated with the government - and not just a private Joe who does translating services. Jingjing and I have come across both.

If I remember correctly, we payed a hefty sum getting our documents notarized (I think it was something like 2000 Yuan for 6 copies of her birth certificate and 4 copies of our marriage certificate). We did get some extras anticipating that we would need them in the future, once we're in America.

#3. The consulate accepted our notarized/translated documents but they did want to see the originals. (for example, when we filed our I-130, we turned in a certified notarized copy of our marriage certificate, but they still wanted to see our original Chinese certificates.

Not having ever filed a K-1 visa, I can only give some information. Perhaps someone else can fill in the holes. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Speaking concerning the notarized police certificate, my wife picked up an "official" form that she was supposed to use (this is in Wuhan though, and practices may vary depending on where you are). I believe she picked this up from the notary office in Wuhan. You may ask your local notary office if they can give any insight on this.

Not all notary services are created equal (at least this has been our experience) Our notarized documents came in a nice white book, titled (¹«Ö¤Ê飩 - It was pressure sealed and ink stamped, and her (or hers and mine) picture inside - both English and Chinese translations, accompanied with a statement certifying the accuracy of the documents. If I were you I'd make sure it is a notary office affiliated with the government - and not just a private Joe who does translating services. Jingjing and I have come across both.

If I remember correctly, we payed a hefty sum getting our documents notarized (I think it was something like 2000 Yuan for 6 copies of her birth certificate and 4 copies of our marriage certificate). We did get some extras anticipating that we would need them in the future, once we're in America.

#3. The consulate accepted our notarized/translated documents but they did want to see the originals. (for example, when we filed our I-130, we turned in a certified notarized copy of our marriage certificate, but they still wanted to see our original Chinese certificates.

Not having ever filed a K-1 visa, I can only give some information. Perhaps someone else can fill in the holes. Sorry I couldn't help more.

What threw me was the notarized documents having her parents address, but after doing some more checking I found out it needs to match the information in her household book were she is registered.

I also verified that our notary office is affiliated with the government so it sounds like everything should be ok. Just like yours our documents came in a white book that is pressure sealed and ink stamped with her picture inside with both English and Chinese translations, accompanied with a statement certifying the accuracy of the documents.