AOS and greencard

I need a little clarification please.

She doesn't want to become an american, she just wants to be legal to work a part time job.

I'm trying to follow along with other postings but I see I-485, I-693, I-765, I-131, I-1485, I-864, G-325A, I-94, I-90 (a whole alphabet soup, eh?)

and I though the hard part was over trying to get her here, when does it end???????

A K-Visa holder is a NON-Resident or NON-Immigrant, then need to Adjust their Status to Resident (Immigrant) this is done by Adjustment Of Status (I-485) or in the case of K-3 they can opt to keep the underlying immigrant petition moving and return to china and interview for the immigrant visa.

Once Adjustment is approved the immigrant will get a green-card. So Yes AOS is applying for Permanent Resident Status (Green-Card)

A green-card holder is NOT a US Citizen, they are a Lawful Permanent Resident, so for some reason if they break a law, and if it is serious they can loose LPR status and can be deported.

Two years after getting green-card you will need to file to remove conditions.

and Three years after getting first green-card you can file for Citizenship.

Citizenship has its benifits:

Here is a list I found:

1. A Citizen Can Vote
    A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.
  2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)
    Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.
  3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly
    Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.
  4. Citizens Cannot be Deported
    Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.
  5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits
    Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.
  6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits
    Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.
  7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities
    Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.
  8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically
    Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.
  9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits
    Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.
  10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years
    We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm

The alphabet sope of forms are what is needed to adjust status

I-485 (AOS)

I-765 (EAD) To be able to work while waiting for AOS.

I-131 So that a K-1 holder can travel out of the USA and return while AOS is being processed.

G-325A, Shows things have changed (Living in USA not China, Married name)

I-94 Is a card issued on flight over, and is placed in passport, a photo-copy of it is needed to be sent with I-485

I-864 Is US citizen/Spose Affidavit of suport (Required to sponsor an immigrant)

I-693 Medical report from a US Civilsurgeion showing vaccinations, K-Visa holders only need vaccination record done if their visa medical is less than a year old)

I-90 is NOT used in this process, I-90 is for replacing a lost green-card or correcting an error on a green-card.

I need a little clarification please.

She doesn't want to become an american, she just wants to be legal to work a part time job.

I'm trying to follow along with other postings but I see I-485, I-693, I-765, I-131, I-1485, I-864, G-325A, I-94, I-90 (a whole alphabet soup, eh?)

and I though the hard part was over trying to get her here, when does it end???????

just file the Aos stuff I-485, G-325, I-864, and the vaccination supplement, assuming she does not want to work or travel (outside of USA) before AOS is approved and she has the GC.

I-751 will have to be filed later to remove conditions.

Edited by Pommey (see edit history)

Yeah, it is confusing. I often wonder how in the world people could navigate and find the information, forms, and other things necessary before the Internet.

Must have taken several in person trips to government offices, many, many phone calls, waiting for forms to be mailed out and sent back, etc.

For our AOS we needed shots and were within 1 month of the 1 year physical being expired, so the medical check stuff held us up a little.

Arranging all the forms, bio, etc., into another large packet to send out was about the same as the initial I-129 K1 visa filing.

Just the cost for filing the papers is $1010

You have to go for yet another fingerprint appointment

You may be called in for an actual in person interview, but some couples just get mailed the green card if everything was prepared correctly.

If you just take it step by step, and follow the guide, it is a piece of cake! :blink: Also, I used the search mode and reviewed threads of others with recent AOS history.

You already have most of the info/data you need from your visa filing, which can be moved over to the new AOS forms.

Again, just go through each step and keep your file organized and double check it all and supply a lot of info up front and you will be just fine.

Here is the link, if you don't already have it:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1k3aos

Yeah, it is confusing. I often wonder how in the world people could navigate and find the information, forms, and other things necessary before the Internet.

Hell, how were guys meeting the girls before the internet! :P

More opportunities to meet girls, more girls coming over, more girls bringing family over, more staff needed, more paperwork? B)

Of course there was 9/11 too. I'd imagine with Homeland Security paperwork evolved. Anyone on CFL who went through this pre-9/11?

Met a British guy on the plane back from HK to LA. He'd been a PR for 25 years since he married his American wife. He made it sound like it was just a form or two back then.