Do I need to register in her hometown?

I read someplace I need to register with the police in her hometown of Nanchang and tell them what Hotel I am staying at. Is this true? I asked Hui and she said I did not need to do it because I have my passport. Anyone know anything??

if you are staying in a hotel that officially takes Lao Wei then I wouldn't worry about. They collect your info and register you.

I read someplace I need to register with the police in her hometown of Nanchang and tell them what Hotel I am staying at. Is this true? I asked Hui and she said I did not need to do it because I have my passport. Anyone know anything??

if you are staying in a hotel that officially takes Lao Wei then I wouldn't worry about. They collect your info and register you.

We are staying in a Short stay Condo. It's nice and only 100 yen a night. I am not sure is they officially take Lao wei...( whats that)

We are staying in a Short stay Condo. It's nice and only 100 yen a night. I am not sure is they officially take Lao wei...( whats that)

Uh, that would be you.

You are supposed to register (or be registered), but follow your SO's lead there. The actual execution of this policy can vary - she'll know what to do.

Been to Chongqing many times and have never registered.

We always stay in our own house.

Never had a problem, Just mind your P's and Q's and enjoy yourself.

You'll be fine, Your Gal will take care of ya, She knows what to do.

Been to Chongqing many times and have never registered.

We always stay in our own house.

Never had a problem, Just mind your P's and Q's and enjoy yourself.

You'll be fine, Your Gal will take care of ya, She knows what to do.

never registered Rob on any visit. dont worry

My husband had to register his port of entry at the local police station every single time after he traveled back to China. We didn't know that in the first place until we did it for the first time, and of course we paid for the fine RMB 100.

Now we heard they'd changed the laws so that we only need to register my husband every time we move to a new apartment.

I guess in your case, you might have to report to the local police since you are traveling here as a tourist. And some hotels will do that for you without asking you.

PS: we are in Shanghai, my husband has a work permit here, maybe a little different from other cases.

Edited by Ant & Lu (see edit history)

My wife (who until recently worked in the FAO) said, according to Chinese law, you should register, but many many foreigners don't. If your hotel (star hotels) can accept foreigners, then they will take your passport and register for you.

During my stay at various hotels and hostels, I've had to register several different times. Like many things in China, there are the things that you should do, and then there are the things that are done.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Here's how my registrations have gone, Robert.

1st visit - travel around China and stay in hotels, never register.

2nd visit - Stay at Ying's apartment outside of Shenzhen for 2 weeks, attract the attention of her landlord who makes a thing of it, mentions the police registration needed that we didn't do, he's "concerned" for my safety, Lao Wei's need to stay in Shenzhen, yada yada. so we spend the last 3 days in a hotel which was the plan anyway.

3rd visit - Ying and I rent an apartment (the owner is a policeman LOL) in her name in Shenzhen. I register at the police station since this is going to be a lengthy stay. Traveled to her hometown in the north of China and stayed with her parents for a month and never registered. Nobody said anything. Went to the small village she was born in and made to register before even being allowed entrance into the police station. Exact same form as I filled out in Shenzhen. Weird.

4th visit - Only 3 weeks after I leave for the US, I return to Shenzhen and reregister. I went in and out of HK 6-7 times and they never asked for any of this paperwork. Surprised me.

Uh, that would be you.

You are supposed to register (or be registered), but follow your SO's lead there. The actual execution of this policy can vary - she'll know what to do.

Best advice you can be given .... a take this advice throughout your relationship/marriage.

If not staying at a Hotel, then yes you should register with the local police. True, many do not and it is never brought up. Everywhere I have stayed, not once as anyone asked to see my residence permit or passport.

Hermmmm I was asked several times for my documents. After I had lunch with Tings uncle and a business partner, this business partner was detained by the authorities and questioned rather heavily about who I was etc. right after we left.

When you check into a hotel and they ask for your passport then your good. If not then I HIGHLY suggest you register. True you may not get caught 99% of the time like most here but if you happen to be that 1% poor sob then you¡¯re screwed.

I lived for one year on an L visa. (Renewed it once, they were for 6 month stays each). When we first got to China I did tell hubby that I heard we are supposed to register. Went to the entry and exit bureau in Beijing and they said no need to register. Also tried in his hometown but they also said no need. I guess it really depends on what is going on around you. My dad and mom were registered in Beijing when they stayed at Hubei Daxia while visiting us for a week. I guess it just depends. Just don't comit any crimes, follow the rules, etc.

My experience varied, hotels always asked for passport at some point, one time hotel didnt get my passport because wife got room ahead, police ended up calling the room and wife just registered me over the phone In GZ never registered. I believe that it is good to follow the lead of your SO best results from this on all things