Questions on shipping to china, in chinese or english?

I have a package all ready for my wife to ship from the States to Beijing and was wondering if I should use chinese characters, pinyin or english when filling out the address in Beijing. Should I include both chinese and english?

Another related question. Has anyone had any problems shipping out vitamins to China? If I write done gift, is it ok that there is more than one item in the package. Will the description of item(s), gift, be sufficient enough to cover everything in the box without giving a detailed list of the items. And the value? Should I keep it under a certain amount like 100RMB? Does the value need to be listed in RMB or USD and the description?

I will being using United States Postal Service for shipping. I think this is the cheapest way. Maybe around 5-6 days.

Make sure you spell "CHINA" correctly. Does her mailman read addresses written with the western alphabet (actually, pinyin)? If not, then write the rest of the address with Chinese characters (cutting and pasting from an email works just fine).

"Gift" works just fine.

I have a package all ready for my wife to ship from the States to Beijing and was wondering if I should use chinese characters, pinyin or english when filling out the address in Beijing. Should I include both chinese and english?

Another related question. Has anyone had any problems shipping out vitamins to China? If I write done gift, is it ok that there is more than one item in the package. Will the description of item(s), gift, be sufficient enough to cover everything in the box without giving a detailed list of the items. And the value? Should I keep it under a certain amount like 100RMB? Does the value need to be listed in RMB or USD and the description?

I will being using United States Postal Service for shipping. I think this is the cheapest way. Maybe around 5-6 days.

This is just a question but why would you ship vitamins to China - they can buy them everywhere....I did when I lived there. I even bought my Silver Centrum's at Wal Mart in China. I did notice that Omega3's were hard to come by, as well as Flaxseed Oil. But mostly, I could buy everything else in China.

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

This is just a question but why would you ship vitamins to China - they can buy them everywhere....I did when I lived there. I even bought my Silver Centrum's at Wal Mart in China. I did notice that Omega3's were hard to come by, as well as Flaxseed Oil. But mostly, I could buy everything else in China.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. I can ony find vitamins that are way over priced, i'm not talking about Centrum, but more of the specialized vitamins that you would find at Whole Foods or Sunflower Market. I've looked at places like Walmart and the stores near Dawanglu.

The mail system in China isn't so great. While living here, I've had several packages not make it to me, while others were already opened when I picked them up. If there is anyway you can send it with tracking (registered letter), we've found it to be a reliable choice.

Yes, definitely, put the address in English and Chinese (Hanzi, not pinyin) on the package.

Also, make sure you write in big letters "Air Mail" because you don't want your package taking the slow boat across the pond.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)