Gift Ideas

Booze and/or cigarettes are usually a good choice. I would at least get a little something for the brother. And its a good idea to bring a decent amount of very small cheap gifts just to give to anyone as a good gesture, especially kids. Some type of candy usually works ok.

Here is a thread with some good ideas: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...l=gift&st=0

Enjoy the trip.

I'd go to Costco. Buy a bottle of scotch for the father. Depending on the age of the brother I'd get a pen, watch, baseball cap.

I'd also buy those $12 bulk candy bar things there. Has like 25 bars or packets of skittles for kids or even adults who haven't really tried American candy.

Vitamins are also good. Like a multivitamin.

Yep liquor is good. Bring the liquor with you if possible. Beware the duty free shops selling American liquor between HK and Shenzhen. I've heard a lot of it is fake. Johnny Walker Black Label was a big one faked a couple of years ago.

How old is the brother? NBA is huge in China. How about a jersey?

I'd go to Costco. Buy a bottle of scotch for the father. Depending on the age of the brother I'd get a pen, watch, baseball cap.

I'd also buy those $12 bulk candy bar things there. Has like 25 bars or packets of skittles for kids or even adults who haven't really tried American candy.

Not a watch or a clock, it indicates DEATH, and not a GREEN cap.

People say these but I actually don't think it matters much. I've personally received a watch as a gift from a Chinese person. "Wearing a green hat" is an expression but I doubt someone would take offense if they are a hat person and received a nice-looking green hat.

I usually try to get something from America, especially something with a local flavor or connotation. A lot of Chinese people collect historical stamps so it might be nice if you could find an album with stamps and information about America.

People say these but I actually don't think it matters much. I've personally received a watch as a gift from a Chinese person.

Yeah, +1 on the watch.

People buy watches for each other all the time.

A watch (biao) is NOT the same thing as a clock (zhong) in Chinese.

"song biao" doesn't sound like "sending doom", but "song zhong" does.

So to be safe, I'd avoid buying anyone a clock, but in the 7 watches I've seen given as gifts to/from Chinese people, offense has not even been on the horizon.

I would avoid a green hat for any married men

Which brings up a question: how many times has anyone EVER considered buying a man a green hat?

I'm going to have to start a poll.

I would avoid a green hat for any married men

Which brings up a question: how many times has anyone EVER considered buying a man a green hat?

I'm going to have to start a poll.

yeah, on second thought I agree with this. Out of the infinite number of item-color combinations in the world of gifts, it would be a little odd to show up with a green hat for a Chinese man.

After I posted the first time I brought it up with my wife and she was laughing as I was continually arguing that, "if the person really just likes hats, c'mon! what about green-ISH ones?"

We always get my wife's dad a bunch of his favorite tea when we visit the "laojia." If we got him cigarettes my wife's mom would probably punch me in the head, as she's wanted him to quit for a long time.

Whatever you purchase, make sure it's made in America - at least not made in China or Taiwan (if you're coming from America). I've given several gifts during my time in China, and the recipient always looked to see where it was made. As far as what to get him, ask your SO what his interests are. If it was me, yeah, I'd probably bring a gift for the brother as well.

Gifts I've used in the past have been

Stamps - the guy was a stamp collector

fountain pens

nice cigarette/cigar lighters

Alcohol

leather briefcase

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

We usually take various candy bars and we always stock up when stores mark down candy from holidays (Halloween, Christmas, Valentines and Easter) as gifts for her friends and family.

We also get a few bottles of whiskey (George Dickel) or bourbon (Ezra Brooks). (The owner of our local package goods store says these brands are actually better than Jack Daniels or Jim Beam (popular only because of better advertising) and cheaper).

Ying says most Chinese like Country and Western, R&B, and the younger girls like Rock & Pop, so we always get some cheap CD's from top artists or collections of top hits.

In an attempt to win him over to me, Ying suggested we get her father a wind up pocket watch. Even though it was made in China, it is export quality and he has never seen a watch like that, he loves it and still makes a big production of checking the time. The last trip Ying also got her father a Norelco Electric Razor that works with either 110 or 220.

She also manages to buy some jewelry (usually closeouts or reduced price) for her mother, sisters, favorite nieces and best friends.