Chinese People Holding Signs

You know how you will be riding around various places and sometimes see groups of people holding small signs? I saw a whole long line of construction guys sitting on the sidewalk. It was so interesting to look at the "lettering" style of each person. We hired a translator young lady from a group of about 8-10 young people standing together near a downtown department store way back when. I wish I was in Dalian right now, I'd get somebody to make me a sign that said "I Teach Medical English" and I would go stand outside the cafeteria of the Dalian Medical School and I would get hired by some rich medical students who want to learn how to say hydrochlorothiazide and esophagogastroduodenoscopy and Mycobacterium avium intracellulare and they want to get a visa to do their residency in America.

You know how you will be riding around various places and sometimes see groups of people holding small signs? I saw a whole long line of construction guys sitting on the sidewalk. It was so interesting to look at the "lettering" style of each person. We hired a translator young lady from a group of about 8-10 young people standing together near a downtown department store way back when. I wish I was in Dalian right now, I'd get somebody to make me a sign that said "I Teach Medical English" and I would go stand outside the cafeteria of the Dalian Medical School and I would get hired by some rich medical students who want to learn how to say hydrochlorothiazide and esophagogastroduodenoscopy and Mycobacterium avium intracellulare and they want to get a visa to do their residency in America.

Except that they can't do their residency in the US. As far as the AMA is concerned, training in any Chinese medical school is worthless and does not qualify them to even take the licensure examination in the US.

Except that they can't do their residency in the US. As far as the AMA is concerned, training in any Chinese medical school is worthless and does not qualify them to even take the licensure examination in the US.

SO True!

We have a friend that was a Surgeon in China that moved to the USA and has been studying for 2 years at the University Of Rochester to pass her board Certification to be able to practice medicine in the USA, her husband was a dentist in China, and it is the same for him.

Teaching medical English is a step in the right direction, my friend just needs to practice her medical English for the interview portion of her exams.

The hospital I do medical transcription for has several Chinese people who are doctors there, but you are right, they are not residents, they are full fledged doctors who apparently must have gotten their qualifications somewhere else. One of these doctors is actually one of the attendings in the pulmonology teaching service. One of them is a full MD, PhD! Very rare to encounter a PhD in medicine. All of them have pretty thick accents and I wish I could reach out and grab them and tell them the right way to say a word! But apparently this is a coming thing, Chinese people coming over here to practice medicine and hopefully displace some of the Indian doctors who are even harder to understand. One of the Chinese is a cancer doctor, and there will be a surge of them coming over here I am sure because oncology is a specialty predicted to have huge shortages in the coming years.

The hospital I do medical transcription for has several Chinese people who are doctors there, but you are right, they are not residents, they are full fledged doctors who apparently must have gotten their qualifications somewhere else. One of these doctors is actually one of the attendings in the pulmonology teaching service. One of them is a full MD, PhD! Very rare to encounter a PhD in medicine. All of them have pretty thick accents and I wish I could reach out and grab them and tell them the right way to say a word! But apparently this is a coming thing, Chinese people coming over here to practice medicine and hopefully displace some of the Indian doctors who are even harder to understand. One of the Chinese is a cancer doctor, and there will be a surge of them coming over here I am sure because oncology is a specialty predicted to have huge shortages in the coming years.

I have two good friends who immigrated to the USA from Taiwan as students 40 years ago, both are PHD's.

I also have a friend in Toronto Canada who Immigrated from China who is PHD and MD.