AOS Paperwork

This list is very good:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....=14&t=2058&st=0

However, there is a line:

A15/ SUPPLEMENTAL VACCINATIONS FORM TO FORM I-693

I see here that:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm#fba

the I-693 is asked for. But I just got off the phone (800.375.5283) with BCIS, and was told for K-1 visa I just need:

I-485

G-325a

I-864

She, BCIS worker, did not mention the I-693. And I asked more than once if that's all we needed.

Is this form needed or not?

Also, the G-325a, I-864 seems like just copies of what I already sent when we originally applied for the K-1 petition? Can I just use those?

And she seemed to not understand my last question, so I'll try it here.

The K-1 visa expires in 90 days, starting from day of entry. When the couple gets married, the K-1 visa clock stops ticking. But, we must file for AOS I guess just anytime, even after the 90 day expiration? The BCIS worker was not helpful here, as I am trying to understand that, if upon marriage, the K-1 visa rules are met. So, what is the status of the fiancee at that point? Has she not met all the conditions by becoming married, therefore her status has somehow changed, but to what? She met the rules, what would happen if no AOS filing were done? Yes I am confused.

Thanks

Guest Long_strider

The supplemental form for vaccination is presented at the time of the AOS interview. It is not requested at the time of the filing of the initial application for AOS. You present the supplemental form completed by the designated civil surgeon in a sealed envelope to the BCIS representative

The K-1 visa is designated valid for 90 days from the date of entry at the POE. If you marry within that 90 days it is my understanding that it is acceptable to remain in the US for up to two years. At that time AOS must be completed and permmant status attained or the person may be deported.

Most individuals file for AOS shortly after the marriage and before the end of the 90 day period. However, I have found nothing that states in any BCIS sites that AOS is required to be filed before the end of the 90 days.

It simply makes things easier if you file for AOS, request EAD card and AP if desired. The only evidence of identification that the person will have if they do not apply for AOS/EAD/AP will be their passport with the K-1 visa showing the 90 day expiration date. This can cause some confusion if person is asked for identification by some official. It will be difficult to obtain any common services such as Driver's license, bank account, etc.

Yes, the G235a is completed for the AOS filing. It is duplicative in nature. However, it is an opportunity to show any name change that may occur as a result of the marriage (should that be decided by the wife to assume the husband's family name). There has been some discussion about whether or not both the petitioner and the beneficiary must each complete the G235a for the AOS. Our local BCIS representative at the time of filing stating that both parties were required to complete this form.

Hope this helps. Perhaps others can discuss their understading about filing timelines for AOS.

Mi

I-693 required here as well. As to her status, once she married you she is legal but in kind of a nether world until AOS is filed and completed. Keep a copy of your marriage certificate handy. Technically, her I-94 expired the day you got married. The sooner you file AOS the better.

Thanks for all replies, I just wanted a straight answer from the BCIS regarding her status after the marriage, and of course when there's a grey area, there is no answer (instead of admitting it). Anyways, back to the I-693 form.

The reason I ask about this form is, on the BCIS website for this form, it states:

"Note that the vaccination supplement accompanying Form I-693 is not included on this internet posting. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have sent the vaccination supplement directly to the civil surgeons for them to photocopy, fill out on behalf of each applicant, and attach to Form I-693 for submission to BCIS."

Ok. So, we must find a Civil Surgeon, and he has this "vaccination supplement", then I guess we would bring proof of her vaccinations (which I guess was her card stuff from the medical exam in China), and then the Civil Surgeon attaches this supplement to the I-693, which he still signs??? Wonder if all that's free.....

Ok back to the I-485.

The fee seems to be $220, $25 for fingerprint. The post earlier I referred to says $255/$50. Just making sure here if anyone else noticed this?

I-485, Part 1:

it asks for I-94 #. Is that the NVC GUZ number? (as opposed to Guangzhou's GUZ number)?

it asks for Current INS status. What would that be?

I-485, Part 3:

In what status did you last enter? (Visitor, student, exchange

alien, crewman, temporary worker, without inspection, etc.)

So, the answer is fiancee-visa?

Ok just 1 more, should the EAD and the AP be filed in the same envelope as the I-485?

Thanks

I-485 fee is $255 and $50 for finger print

I-94 # is the No. on the small white slip stapled on your passport.

Current INS status: Adjustment of Status Pending

In what status did you last enter?

the answer is K1 fiancee-visa?

should the EAD and the AP be filed in the same envelope as the I-485?

Answer: you do not have to if you are not in a rush to work or going back to China

I know. But it's real nice that they have this still here:

then click on:

You may download a package of all of these forms in PDF format.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/f...es/i-485pk1.pdf

Then look at page 2 of the pdf file where it says Fee. Nice.

I'll have to look. I don't remember a white slip.

should the EAD and the AP be filed in the same envelope as the I-485? Answer: you do not have to if you are not in a rush to work or going back to China

What I mean is, is it ok for all EAD/AP paperwork to be in same envelope, or 3 different ones?

I know. But it's real nice that they have this still here:

then click on:

You may download a package of all of these forms in PDF format.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/f...es/i-485pk1.pdf

Then look at page 2 of the pdf file where it says Fee. Nice.

I'll have to look. I don't remember a white slip.

should the EAD and the AP be filed in the same envelope as the I-485? Answer: you do not have to if you are not in a rush to work or going back to China

What I mean is, is it ok for all EAD/AP paperwork to be in same envelope, or 3 different ones?

the fee changed. just pay what i told you

i94 is the departure record, When you were in the airplane, the form you filled, the immigration officer hold half, gave you the other half.

one envelope

Dissenting opinion here. The visa is good for its full term. The grey area is between the expiration of the visa and proof of filing AOS. That's why it is advised, but not required, to file AOS with 90 days. Pending adjustment is a legal status.

I was told, in no uncertain terms by a rather rude BCIS Officer, that our I-94 expired the day we got married. He stated 90 days is the maximum allowed, but that marriage terminates the K1 I-94. This may, of course, be incorrect. It is just what I was told several months ago when trying to get clarification on issues from BCIS.

Dissenting opinion here. The visa is good for its full term. The grey area is between the expiration of the visa and proof of filing AOS. That's why it is advised, but not required, to file AOS with 90 days. Pending adjustment is a legal status.

I was told, in no uncertain terms by a rather rude BCIS Officer, that our I-94 expired the day we got married. He stated 90 days is the maximum allowed, but that marriage terminates the K1 I-94. This may, of course, be incorrect. It is just what I was told several months ago when trying to get clarification on issues from BCIS.

I would have to side with Don on this one . Otherwise, you'd be out of status if the K expires, yet hasn't file the AOS ( marriage is not an immigration status or application for anything )

I think K expires after 90 days or when you file for AOS, whichever comes FIRST

You need to go to a designated civil surgeon. There is a list on the BCIS site of those in your area. The doctor will have the vacination form and determine which vaccinations are appropriate. If you have an immunization card from China, he will mark those as being done. If any more are needed, you will have to get them done there or somewhere else of your choosing. If you do them somewhere else (local health clinic or whatever) you will need to return to the civil surgeon with proof of the shots. He will then sign the form and give it to you. I've seen people say it would be in a sealed envelope, but our was just handed to us - sans envelope.

Fees for the civil surgeon vary considerably. Ours ran $60. Make sure you tell them when you call for an apointment that you only need the vacination supplement - not the full medical exam. Any needed shots will cost whatever they charge wherever you choose to get them.

Don, again, thanks.

i94 is the departure record, When you were in the airplane, the form you filled, the immigration officer hold half, gave you the other half.

Well I'll be dipped their is a white slip. So just to be exact, it is the Departure Number on this little white slip attached to her passport, and in small print it says I-94? Would it be too hard if the application just said so?

Wow this system is just too hi-tech for me, what an incredibly intelligent way to track numbers.

Current INS status: Adjustment of Status Pending

May I ask, exactly where did you collect this information that after a K1 beneficiary is married, her status is "Adjustment of Status Pending"? Not being sarcastic, but officially I thought that was after you actually apply for AOS? It's just that the answer to the question on the I-485, "Current INS status", seems like it should be, "I don't know, why don't you tell me?" or "Please choose from the following 5 unknown options".

Eric & Mick, I think you're both right. I'm betting marriage voids the K1/I-94, because somehow, you would not be forced to go back to China after the 90 days, even if you haven't filed for AOS. But also you haven't applied, so it's not a pending status, either.

I think.