How to prepare for a disaster

lostinblue

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

This is a LONG read. It deals with lessons learned from katrnia.

People you have a fire in your home and have one minute to leave. What should you take and are you prepared to grab and run. This site helps you prepare yourself for such disasters. If you have a few hours this is such a good read.

Good site will bookmark and read later

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

This is a LONG read. It deals with lessons learned from katrnia.

People you have a fire in your home and have one minute to leave. What should you take and are you prepared to grab and run. This site helps you prepare yourself for such disasters. If you have a few hours this is such a good read.

I can tell you exactly what I would take, because I have 'been there and done that'. I would be prepared to leave in 30 seconds, but sorry I would stay until everything is done. This is my Navy training, so I would not suggest everyone try this.

My ex and I went through an apartment fire at 4 O'clock in the morning in August of 1984. My ex woke up first, shook me awake and then went into the utility closet which was off of our bedroom. Myself, I instantly got fully dressed. My clothes are always neatly laid by my bed so I know where they are and can be dressed within 30 seconds. This gets me clothes on my back, my wallet and my keys. So I have all of my financial items I need to survive for a period of time. Next, I check the bedroom door and found our only way out would be to drop from our second story bedroom window.

Now for the part of why I would not leave within 60 seconds. So, I went to the window and carefully removed the screen, placing out of the way inside. This way it is not in the way upon exiting. It only takes a few seconds to do it correctly. Now I could have been 'gone in sixty seconds', but not everything was done yet. Then I got my ex out of the utility closet and gave her three options. "1. You can go out the window your self, 2. I can help you out the window. or 3. I will throw your ass out the window." So I help her out the window and down to the ground. I handed her our three animals, 2 dogs and a cat. Once I was sure everyone was out safety, I went out the window myself.

I was the last one up in the four apartment fire, but the only one fully dressed. So yes, I would know exactly what I would do in case of fire.