Oh oh, past divorce papers

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

After just reading over some post from while I was away, saw some posts regarding previous divorces.

I know that in my package, I did send in certified copies of last divorce.

Now I am wondering about my 1st divorce in 1978, so long ago. Now wondering if this will become a problem. I am not even sure I can even still get a copy from the court house in Seattle because so long ago. :) :D

Guest blsqueaky

Thanks Don, luckily I have some time before I might need them, and it will probably take King County 2 months to find them and get them mailed, and besides, I am getting used to waiting. :D :D :) :D

A question for you Mark,

How many times you've been married and divorced and did you list them all on your petition? If so and you sent either copies of the divorce certificate(s) or the orignal(s) then you are in good shape. You might want to get a hold of a copy of the certified divorce decree(s) themselves and send them to your wife to have for the interview just in case they ask for them.

You can call the Clerk's Office of the General District Court and have them mail you a copy. Make sure they certify it with the Clerk's seal.

blsqueaky,

I assume that you listed everything on your application..... The INS can be somewhat picky about that. I am not sure what to do if it isn't on the application. There are so many record searches that we don't know about, it is possible the relationship will show up somewhere.

I presume you should start dredging up some info on the marriages and divorces.

Sorry I don't have a lot of details on divorces as I ignored that section. :) However, I think I may be in a minority here.

I have been surprised why the INS is so concerned about previous marriages and divorces. Of course, polygamy is strictly forbidden, and they would probably want to know how many foreign women have been sponsored, but I wonder if they need additional info.

----- Clifford -----

Guest blsqueaky

Well now I have to look at it this way. I think that sometime within the next 4-6 weeks, I will probably receive an envelope, and in it, I will receive one of two things, either an approval or a request for more info.

My luck now, I will be in China when it arrives here, so it can sit in mailbox for 1 month, and just delay some more. Glad that I have a very understanding wife. :) :D

On the I-129F, evidence of divorce is omitted for K3's (Item #5 in the instructions), however, the instructions for the I-130 requires evidence for ALL divorces (Item #7A-2.)

Did you send evidence of all divorces with the I-130? If not it might cause a delay. I suggest you get copies of the divorce decrees and the divorce certificates. Leave no stone unturned! The certificates come from the state vital records department and the decrees come from the clerk's office of the general district court.

Call either BCIS or NVC to see what you must do to avoid any delays.

Well now I have to look at it this way. I think that sometime within the next 4-6 weeks, I will probably receive an envelope, and in it, I will receive one of two things, either an approval or a request for more info.

My luck now, I will be in China when it arrives here, so it can sit in mailbox for 1 month, and just delay some more. Glad that I have a very understanding wife. :(  :lol:

blsqueaky,

If you filed your application in Vermont, your notice should be coming any time.

If you filed in Nebraska, don't expect anything before the new year.

While you are away, periodically check the status of your visa application online at the BCIS website. You should be able to find the status quicker than checking the stuff from the post-office which is generally delayed an additional week.

If you see a note asking for more info, have someone check your home mail (the note on the web page is not very specific about the additional info required).

I am sure there are provisions for amending your application, but at this point, I wouldn't worry about a marriage that was terminated 20 years ago...... You can let us know how thoroughly they research our cases!!!! It should show up, at least in your IRS records???? :P

But, if they have access to the tax records, then why would they ask for them later?

----- Clifford ------

Guest blsqueaky

Hello Cliff,

One appllication, the I-130 was filed in Nebraska, and right now it is saying 435-465 days to process, so this one I am not even holding my breath.

My K-3, I-129F was filed with Chicago, and right now they are saying 60-90 days from date of receipt to process, and date of receipt was 8/29.

Now that I am thinking about this, I am not sure if it was a divorce. I think that is was an anullment since I never went to court. :( :lol:

Yes, it will matter whether a divorce or an annulment. Every case I have seen here in Guangzhou, hundreds of CR1s and K1s by now, requires a certified copy of the court papers terminating a marriage.

You can go to the King County Courthouse in Seattle to get it. The Clerk's office has all older court records on film, so it is not a big deal to get the certified copy.

Your lady should be aware about this history of yours, in case of questions.

An amended I-130 or a letter for the record to CIS or NVC might be a good idea.

Good luck to you.

Guest blsqueaky

Thanks all, in the morning, I will be sending off my request to the King County County Court House, then later trying to call the NVC to let them know, but now wondering, if I call NVC will this maybe be opening another can of worms, especially since my K-3 approval is due soon from MSC.

King, I really do not want now to muddy the waters. I know that when married in GZ, they checked records to make sure that was really allowed to marry, and they got this from GZ, at least I think. I know that I can not belive all that I went through to get married there.

There was recently a thread on another site about this where the petitioner got an RFE from NSC because he didn't send in a copy of his first divorce. He wrongfully assumed that since his second wife had died and he provided all the neccesary info on that marriage that they would have sense enough to realize he had to be single to marry again after the first marriage. Wrong, he had to get copies of his divorce decree from his first marriage.

Carl

Guest blsqueaky

Okay, now here is a question. I want to see if I am thinking clearly on this. Since the K-3 should be approved and her here before NSC is even done, and since the K-3 states omit evidence of prior divorce (which I sent copies of anyway), just maybe I might be okay???

Is my thinking correct here???

I still sent request to King County just in case, and will take with me if they arrive before I leave, and give to her so she can have with all of the paperwork that she is keeping.