DCF - EOR letter

My wife and I have also filed DCF this month via the Beijing office, so good luck to us both. Hopefully, we follow the trend for '09 and things are approved soon.

Cool! Since we're starting around the same time, perhaps we can keep in touch throughout the process. Good luck to you as well.

Of course, just send me a PM.

In 2005, a close friend got me interested in this process, since he was engaged to a Chinese woman. He was using CB to help him file his petition.

In 2008, I also became engaged to an amazing Chinese woman. So to try and answer your laopo's concerns about writing about your future plans, I will simply say that I drew from all sources I could to file.

My friend's petition back in 2005 had an attachment to the I-129F with these questions:

Have you communicated with the beneficiary before meeting? If so, how long? When and how did you meet the beneficiary? Have you met the beneficiary's family? When? Where? Does the beneficiary speak and understand your language? What are the beneficiary's hobbies and interests? What are your hobbies and interests? What arrangements have been made for the wedding? When do you intend to enter into a lawful marriage with the beneficiary?

If not for my friend, I would have never seen these questions as an attachment to the I-129F, although most are discussed here at CFL. And good things to mention in your EOR.

But back to your future plans, as you can see from these questions, they only ask about a future wedding, which of course you have covered. And you seldom hear even K-1s talk about this anymore, since GUZ makes a point of you not making any future plans until you have the visa in hand, which is indeed true. Also talked about many times here. So how could GUZ reasonably expect you to have future plans in the US without a visa. So focus on the visa and not have the wife worry.

I can think of no future plans that you could mention to a VO that would help you get your visa. I can think of several that would only hurt like starting your own drug cartel, etc.....so you get the idea...

I was fortunate that the Vice Consul at GUZ read my EOR. It was 2.5 pages followed with a 1 page detailed timeline that addressed how we met, my trips, the major things we did together, our engagement, how we communicated, how we cared for each other, etc.... Everything aimed at the bon a fide relationship issue and at the end a brief comment about the public charge criteria. She enjoyed it. She told me it takes her about 4 secs to scan a page. And she was good, since she asked me several questions after reading and also threw in a few complimentary comments.

So good luck........I hope this helps.

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

And Kyle it seems that you have a good handle on this, but I totally agree with Randy on painting a picture of your relationship. Your whole petition should do this and the EOR and photos aside from all the documents, forms and receipts allow you to add the finishing touches...

I can think of no future plans that you could mention to a VO that would help you get your visa. I can think of several that would only hurt like starting your own drug cartel, etc.....so you get the idea...

That gave me a chuckle. Thanks for the post. Several good thoughts for us to think about. Jingjing and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Edited by Kyle and Jingjing (see edit history)

After reading all of your posts, I decided to write up an EOR, and let you guys give me your opinions. I realize there may be some grammatical errors, but I'm more interested in what you guys think of the content. I'll iron out the grammatical stuff later. Thanks for your feedback:

To whom it may concern:

In August of 2004, I arrived in Wuhan, to teach English at Huazhong University of Science and Technology. During the October holiday (2004), some friends and I went on the Three Gorges boat tour. This is where I first met my wife, Pan Jingjing. Jingjing was introduced to me by a mutual friend (Bennie Mullins). Shortly after the conclusion of the October holiday (2004), Jingjing and I began to date.

In May 2005, my parents visited China. This was the first time, my mother and father met Jingjing. During this time, my parents also took the opportunity to meet Jingjing¡¯s parents. At the conclusion of the 2004 ¨C 2005, school year, I signed a contract with Di Da university of geosciences (Wuhan JUL 2005 ¨C JUL 2007).

In June 2006, Jingjing and I got engaged. We decided it would be wise for Jingjing to meet my extended family and experience American culture before we got married. In JUL ¨C AUG 2006, Jingjing and I visited America; this was Jingjing¡¯s first visit to the United States.

After returning from America, Jingjing and I filed all of the necessary documents to get married. In Sept 2006, we received our marriage certificates. We did not move in together, until after our wedding ceremony in OCT 2006. My parents and my brother came to China to attend both our Christian and Chinese ceremonies. This was also the second time my parents met Jingjing¡¯s parents. After our wedding, Jingjing moved into my apartment in OCT 2006.

After completing my teaching agreement at Di Da university (JUL 2007), Jingjing and I returned to America to see friends and family who were unable to attend our wedding. This was the second time, Jingjing visited America (Summer 2007).

After returning from America, I began to study Chinese full-time at Central China Normal University (Fall 2007 ¨C present). Although I may have some employment opportunities by being able to speak Chinese, my motivation for learning the language is being able to speak with Jingjing¡¯s parents, without using a translator.

During the 2009, winter vacation, Jingjing and I once again, traveled to America, to visit my parents. The trip was brief, because I needed to return to China for school. This was Jingjing¡¯s third trip to America.

In all, Jingjing and I have been in a relationship for five years. During this time, I have grown close not only to my wife, but with her family. Likewise, Jingjing has been lovingly accepting by my family as well.

Thank you,

Your case is fairly straight forward like mine, but it is still good to point out the obvious and these are all pluses.......both never married before and no children. Since for many these need to addressed in the EOR as potential red flags....

The down side is that your income is not going to intimidate Donald Trump, but good to also at least mention. Also looking here a little into the future will not hurt....

Many use the EOR to address possible red flags in your case. Others like you just show all the strong points....personal preference...

I do not think you have any red flags, but that must be determined by you by doing research like here at CFL and obviously knowing your case intimately....

certainly the length of the relationship and the common bidirectional language will be a bonus.

But you have some usual pieces including her visits to the US and your parents visits to china.

Also, what is the meaning of "Jingjing was introduced to me by a mutual friend (Bennie Mullins)."

Was this a planned meeting and introduction? Or purely a chance meeting? I'd clarify this the latter is much less an issue than the former; if the latter, then there is no reason to say you were "introduced", you simply meet on the trip.

Sounds great. I do not see communications being an issue, but it is a strong point of emphasis at GUZ. You might mention both hers and your ability in both English and Chinese.

That's a good idea. I'll make those changes. My wife for the past five years has worked at Wuhan New Oriental school (an English prep school), so her English aptitude is quite high. We did touch on this on the G325A, but I think you're right in suggesting that I emphasize it, once again in the EOR.

But you have some usual pieces including her visits to the US and your parents visits to china.

Interesting point. All of these trips obviously can be traced by examining her passport, plus we have pictures (which we've already frontloaded) that also document each trip. Having all of this, do you feel that we should omit the travel details?

Was this a planned meeting and introduction? Or purely a chance meeting? I'd clarify this the latter is much less an issue than the former; if the latter, then there is no reason to say you were "introduced", you simply meet on the trip.

It was not a planned introduction. Bennie, is a American businessman, who has done a lot of consulting in China. Although he has a very savvy business mind, he cannot speak a lick of Chinese, so Jingjing often helps him out by translating for him, when he's on business in China. He's sort of like a surrogate grandfather to her. Bennie has also been a friend of my family for quite some time. He was the one who presented the opportunity for me to first come to China. The only reason I mentioned his name, is because he was in some of the pictures that we submitted. Perhaps you're correct, as now, I'm not certain if it is relevant or not. Perhaps, the pictures and captions should just speak for themselves. I guess Jingjing could always, explain more if needed during her interview, as I know she would be prepared to do so.

Thank you David, Henry, and Mei!

Interesting point. All of these trips obviously can be traced by examining her passport, plus we have pictures (which we've already frontloaded) that also document each trip. Having all of this, do you feel that we should omit the travel details?

It was not a planned introduction. Bennie, is a American businessman, who has done a lot of consulting in China. Although he has a very savvy business mind, he cannot speak a lick of Chinese, so Jingjing often helps him out by translating for him, when he's on business in China. He's sort of like a surrogate grandfather to her. Bennie has also been a friend of my family for quite some time. He was the one who presented the opportunity for me to first come to China. The only reason I mentioned his name, is because he was in some of the pictures that we submitted. Perhaps you're correct, as now, I'm not certain if it is relevant or not. Perhaps, the pictures and captions should just speak for themselves. I guess Jingjing could always, explain more if needed during her interview, as I know she would be prepared to do so.

Your case is a juxtaposition of very strong evidence for the relationship and language, so I just consider not to introduce anything which seems out of the ordinary. I don't think anything would cause a denial, but I can almost see a VO simply wanting to understand more; which would be ironic given the strong relationship.

That family comes to china twice is incredible, but one just doesn't normally see it done... Is the compelling reason just to support you? You might consider whether a letter from someone who was on both trips would be helpful;

As to how you meet; I would make it sound more happenstance; nothing with you both sharing the same friend but if there was not true plan by him, and better that there is not, I think you can leave out comments about "introductions". You can say you both had a mutual friend but didn't realize it until you meet...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

That family comes to china twice is incredible, but one just doesn't normally see it done... Is the compelling reason just to support you? You might consider whether a letter from someone who was on both trips would be helpful;

I wanted to include my parents' visits to China, to lend support to both Jingjing and I.

As to how you meet; I would make it sound more happenstance; nothing with you both sharing the same friend but if there was not true plan by him, and better that there is not, I think you can leave out comments about "introductions". You can say you both had a mutual friend but didn't realize it until you meet...

That's good. I'll definitely make that change. Thanks for the feedback, David.