New Consulate Compound

ABOUT THE PLAN OF THE NEW GUANGZHOU CONSULATE COMPOUND

Ground Breaking: Fall of 2009

Construction to Commence: Fall of 2009

Total Project Cost: Approximately $260 million

Estimated number of local workers who will assist in the construction: Approximately 650

Site area: 30,000 square meters (sm)

Project area: 20,500 sm (220,000 square feet) floor area

Number of U.S. agencies to be housed in the NCC: Seven

http://photos.state.gov/galleries/guangzhou/47024/NCC/Picture8.jpg http://photos.state.gov/galleries/guangzhou/47024/NCC/Picture5.jpg

http://photos.state.gov/galleries/guangzhou/47024/NCC/Picture3.jpg

That is great news for future applicants.

It would be great to see this happen. All the hawking and sharking that now takes place on the floors below the Consulate would be hopefully eliminated.

We of course were discouraged from taking photos on the 4th floor more than likely due to the "business acts". Really impressed with China, but embarrassed at watching the activity and seemingly conflict of interests happening especially on the 4th floor....

But when you spend over 300 yuan for 6 cups of coffee (2 days with parents), I was not going to be robbed of taking one of the most meaningful photos of my fiancee......and fellow CFLers

Look forward to seeing the new building some day.

That is great news for future applicants.

It would be great to see this happen. All the hawking and sharking that now takes place on the floors below the Consulate would be hopefully eliminated.

We of course were discouraged from taking photos on the 4th floor more than likely due to the "business acts". Really impressed with China, but embarrassed at watching the activity and seemingly conflict of interests happening especially on the 4th floor....

But when you spend over 300 yuan for 6 cups of coffee (2 days with parents), I was not going to be robbed of taking one of the most meaningful photos of my fiancee......and fellow CFLers

Look forward to seeing the new building some day.

If you point your camera AWAY from the consulate areas, they don't have a problem. They will also ask you to move if you are close to the admissions area.

This applies to the lines outside the building and the path to the escalators, also.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

But unless I am somehow missing something, I believe there is no way to photo any consulate area from the coffee shop, since the only thing I can think of is the escalator on the 4th floor that is blocked by business offices...

In one of my photos, you will see the only security guard working that area around the coffee shop. We were trying to take photos that did not have anything in the background except Chinese businesses and he was not overly thrilled, but I......you can probably fill in the line....

So I was thinking the new facility would better allow photos, but then again maybe not......

Edited by Henry and Mei (see edit history)

But unless I am somehow missing something, I believe there is no way to photo any consulate area from the coffee shop, since the only thing I can think of is the escalator on the 4th floor that is blocked by business offices...

In one of my photos, you will see the only security guard working that area around the coffee shop. We were trying to take photos that did not have anything in the background except Chinese businesses and he was not overly thrilled, but I......you can probably fill in the line....

So I was thinking the new facility would better allow photos, but then again maybe not......

Uh, no! Don't count on it. I would expect them to be even more restrictive when they have control over the entire block.

When we were there the guy seemed pretty friendly, as long as we were aimed in the other direction.

I took this picture while there was a disturbance - someone insisted on parking in front of the bldg - that they all went to see. But a couple of them rushed back when they saw me taking this shot

http://i29.tinypic.com/242hf6r.jpg

I was wondering more if the petitioners will finally be able to join their loved ones for the interview....

I think the argument against was time and space........

That is an older photo Randy, since they now have the advertisement banners for you to "defeat English" and learn to speak English, now on the second floor......guessing "the business" changes with GUZ's direction...

I was wondering more if the petitioners will finally be able to join their loved ones for the interview....

I think the argument against was time and space........

That is an older photo Randy, since they now have the advertisement banners for you to "defeat English" and learn to speak English, now on the second floor......guessing "the business" changes with GUZ's direction...

Yes - that's one of the age old questions we have about their operation - in other countries (in particular, Hong Kong), couples can be required to interview together.

My guess is that they will continue to use the 'time' excuse.