Sen. Ted Kennedy Dies

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Liuling

A wonderful funeral for Ted Kennedy today.

He will be buried in Arlington with his brothers tonight where he will rest in peace forever, an end to an American dynasty.

To one of America's greatest senators of all time I say; Good-bye Ted. :rolleyes:

He had his problems but so do we all. He did more for this country, and that includes immigration, than all of his colleagues and predecessors. I see that there are still some wingnuts here as well as in the rest of the country that watches too much FOX NEWS (I say deport Rupert Murdoch). It was the Bush administration that labeled China, Russia, and Cuba as terrorist countries that in turn, caused the Black Hole, long waits in immigration from these countries, and the reason this board was started. This board was started by 2 people for the reason of fighting Guz and the Bush State Department but history has a way of being distorted here, as too the history of this country. Now I see that this board not only kisses up to Guz, but even allows them on this board rather than exposing their prejudices. Helping other members was not taking up a collection for them, it was writing letters for the folks that ran into a problem getting their loved ones here; even if it meant going out on a limb yourself to help them. Yes, it has become a country of self interest and greed. The pendulum will someday swing in the right direction but only when the callous feel the pain themselves and wish that others had empathy for them.

Liuling,

You can't fault the American Consulate at Guangzhou.. They simply enforce immigration laws as dictated by Congress.

Yes, even after Ted Kennedy (and the Dems.) ramroded legislation that changed the equation (1965)----establishing that lawful citizens in Asia should have the same rights to come here, as say, the Germans and the English---- even that could not erase all of the institutional bias established by the first Chinese Exclusion Act (1880's) Or the second: (1920's)

That dark shadow continues to suppress ALL Chinese, not just our loved ones from coming here freely. But its our elected officials, not GZ---who need to have their feet held to the fire..

is on topic.

Everyone on the right---(where I reside most of the time now) suggests Ted Kennedy, 'feelings' aside, was a legislative light-weight.

His immigration reform of 1965 ---- touched all of us here at the Candle---just not enough to erase the full---racist effects of the First, and Second Chinese Exclusion Acts---- BULLS EYE ON TARGET----

And if you think this is somehow a political screed supporting the political left-----------------------consider this: it was the unions and the Communists who were among the loudest voices supporting the second Chinese Exclusion act (1920s) Chinese were the only nationality to be specifically excluded from America-------in American history.

Ted Kennedy led the Dems. in 1965, to made a legislative dent in that sorry part of US History.

And its not discussed enough----everyone discusses black lynchings during that same era, but little light is shed on the massacres of Chinese coolies---one very famous one occurring right here in Oregon.