Will no NOA2 cause a problem at consulate?

About a week ago I received a letter from NVC stating my approved I-129F petition had been received and within a week the petition would be forwarded to the appropriate visa-issuing post.

Thinking the NOA2 was in the mail I waited to call USCIS until today to inquire into the whereabouts of the NOA2. The nice lady on the phone informed me that the officer had somehow forgotten to scan my petition upon the completion of his review. She called NVC only to find out that our petition had already been forwarded to GUZ and told me that she couldn¡¯t issue a NOA2 without a scan of the approval form that the USCIS officer signed. She added that if she inquired about obtaining a scan of the form she needed it might cause a delay of our case at the consulate so she recommend not pursuing it.

I am wondering if not having a NOA2 will cause any problems at GUZ when my fianc¨¦e goes to the interview.

Guest Wuhan4me

Well here's a conundrum - how to solve ? here's a coupla ideas, however malformed:

1. if the approved packet went out via SAFEFILE, then the NOA-2 MIGHT have been scanned. Call em back, ask if the NOA-2 got scanned into SAFEFILE, and ask em to print it out and mail it to you.

2. if the entire casefile was sent out via DHL, then SHE might be able to ASK FOR the Original NOA-2 on Interview Day, up at the Interview Window - IIRC, this is considered an 'original document' to be returned to the petitioner.

Like I said, my ideas were malformed, but should give you something to think about ( even if it's to curse me for being a fool ;) )

Guest Wuhan4me

Yes, she told me we would need it for AOS. She said we would be able to obtain NOA2 upon our return to the US since GUZ returns the petition to us. I just wanted to make sure we wouldn¡¯t run into any problems at the interview.

IIRC, GUZ returns the petition AT THE INTERVIEW (or at least in the mail pack with the passport and visa ) - but - if it's all part of the sealed packet - you should ASK the VO on Interview Day, prior to her walking away from the window.

If Indeed it's in the sealed envelope - Your woman won't know about it. I say ask for it, during the interview, on Interview Day.

And of course, just to rub some salt in the wound, they will have you file an I-824 Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, for a fee of $340. This form is used to request a duplicate approval notice, to request approval notice to another U.S. Consulate, and to request notice to a U.S. Consulate for derivative visas to family members.

I hope that¡¯s not the case. I can¡¯t image being charged for a duplicate when they never sent the first NOA2 due to an error on their part.

And of course, just to rub some salt in the wound, they will have you file an I-824 Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition, for a fee of $340. This form is used to request a duplicate approval notice, to request approval notice to another U.S. Consulate, and to request notice to a U.S. Consulate for derivative visas to family members.

I hope that’s not the case. I can’t image being charged for a duplicate when they never sent the first NOA2 due to an error on their part.

Did you change addresses between NOA1 and NOA2?? If so this can explain why you may have not received it. USCIS marks mail "Return Service Requested" So if you move it wont be forwarded.

You will need it for AOS http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf (page 5 #15 B ) Indicates this.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I hope that¡¯s not the case. I can¡¯t image being charged for a duplicate when they never sent the first NOA2 due to an error on their part.

Did you change addresses between NOA1 and NOA2?? If so this can explain why you may have not received it. USCIS marks mail "Return Service Requested" So if you move it wont be forwarded.

You will need it for AOS http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf (page 5 #15 B ) Indicates this.

I didn't move. The USCIS officer had somehow forgotten to scan my petition upon completing his review. The person I spoke to said the notice is automatically sent when he scans it.