Drivers License Info

Several weeks ago the local Tennessee Drivers License Testing Center refused to allow my wife to take her written test. They said her visa had expired and even though we were in the process of adjusting her status she could not take her test until she received her new visa.

Following is the response I received from my e-mail to the TDL main office. As you can see, the local office is wrong again!!! This applies to Tennessee but anyone preparing to take the DL test should check with the main DL office in their state and go armed with the correct information before attempting to take the DL test.

"I apologize for the confusion you encountered at the local driver license testing center in Sevierville. The requirements vary slightly for how to process someone in a K1 status with expired I-94 and it appears the examiners may not have been familiar with this process.

When the I-94 has expired the applicant must provide the I-797 Notice of Action showing that USCIS has received the application for conditional residency/adjustment of status. As long as you have this I-797 along with the passport, expired I-94 and the certified marriage certificate your wife would qualify to apply for the Temporary Driver License (TDL). If your wife passes the required exams she will be issued a one (1) year TDL. During that year she should receive her conditional resident card that will be valid for 2 years. Once she has received that 2 year card she can return to the driver testing center and get the TDL renewed until the expiration date as shown on the conditional resident card. (Note: She can choose to wait until the 1 year expiration to renew but the length of time issued and cost for the renewal will remain the same under either course of action.)

After the duration of the 2 year conditional residency period your wife will be eligible to renew/upgrade to a full permanent Tennessee Driver License (DL). She will again be required to provide the documentation (I-797) from USCIS showing that her application for "removal of conditions" has been APPROVED. (Note: If her TDL is expiring and she has not yet been approved by USCIS she may renew the TDL for another 1 year period as long as she has an I-797 showing USCIS has received her application for removal of conditions and/or an I-797 showing her conditional residency has been extended for 1 year.) The I-797 along with her valid (or expiring/expired) conditional resident card will be required at the time of this renewal/upgrade."

Hope this helps someone.

Actually, Tennessee is one of the most liberal in that regard. Most (if not all) other states require EAD or green card.

When my wife first arrived, and after she got her social security card, I took her to get her a identification card at the DMV. I had similar problems as TN vol had. They looked at her passport which had the I-551 stamp (she was CR1), which said something like upon endorsement serves at temporary I-551 for 1 year. The PennDOT official argued with me for much time, saying something about the

Patriot Act (I asked him to specifically quote what was in violation with the Patroit act, but he rambled on saying it's like a 1,000 page document, and many things apply)... In the end, they had to take my wife's passport and fax it into another office, where they quickly told the employee, everything is in order, give her the ID. My local office just didn't know how to deal with situation.

Actually, Tennessee is one of the most liberal in that regard. Most (if not all) other states require EAD or green card.

When my wife first arrived, and after she got her social security card, I took her to get her a identification card at the DMV. I had similar problems as TN vol had. They looked at her passport which had the I-551 stamp (she was CR1), which said something like upon endorsement serves at temporary I-551 for 1 year. The PennDOT official argued with me for much time, saying something about the

Patriot Act (I asked him to specifically quote what was in violation with the Patroit act, but he rambled on saying it's like a 1,000 page document, and many things apply)... In the end, they had to take my wife's passport and fax it into another office, where they quickly told the employee, everything is in order, give her the ID. My local office just didn't know how to deal with situation.

Yes - the I-551 stamp serves to verify the green card ( the green card is the actual I-551)

You'll run into ignorant clerks at all levels.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)