Received Yellow Check List but no Date

Hi,

I am anxiously awaiting my wife's interview date for our N-400 application filed first week of June (we are located in Portland).

Today, we got a yellow form that is titled "Case File Review Notice / Interview Document Check List" which tells us some additional stuff to bring to the interview. Specifically, they asked for all passports and travel documents (expired and current) issued by any government.

However, we have yet to receive our interview date. It just tells us to make sure she brings the stuff mentioned above, and to be properly attired and on time.

Did anyone else get this, and is it normal to get this before the interview date letter?

Thanks!

We are also in Portland and I remember getting a list of things to bring but I don't recall if it was with the interview letter or seperately. I don't think they would be sending this if an interview date wasn't set. I would make an info pass appointment and go down and ask them.

Thanks for the response. I did a little googling this morning, and it seems that some people receive the yellow letter first and others receive the interview letter. I guess they are sent from different locations, and it can be weeks between letters. So i suppose we should just hold tight for a couple of weeks before making an Info Pass appointment.

Is the Info Pass appointment generally a successful way to make inquiries about your case? I have heard that you can't really get any info over the phone, but have people had success getting status by making the Info Pass appointment?

Also, we have a wedding to go to in October. Is it possible to send a letter preemptively, before getting the interview letter, requesting that they schedule it on any day other than that week in October? Or best to wait for the interview letter and reschedule only if necessary? Would this request be do-able by Info Pass?

Thanks again!

Edited by audelair (see edit history)

Thanks for the response. I did a little googling this morning, and it seems that some people receive the yellow letter first and others receive the interview letter. I guess they are sent from different locations, and it can be weeks between letters. So i suppose we should just hold tight for a couple of weeks before making an Info Pass appointment.

Is the Info Pass appointment generally a successful way to make inquiries about your case? I have heard that you can't really get any info over the phone, but have people had success getting status by making the Info Pass appointment?

Also, we have a wedding to go to in October. Is it possible to send a letter preemptively, before getting the interview letter, requesting that they schedule it on any day other than that week in October? Or best to wait for the interview letter and reschedule only if necessary? Would this request be do-able by Info Pass?

Thanks again!

IMO this is too important of an occassion to postpone because you want to go to a wedding. It doesn't take all that long anyway. My wife had her interview in the morning, it took about 15 minutes. We came back at 2:00 PM for the swearing in ceremony and were out of there by 4:00 PM. If your interview is in the afternoon you have to come back the next day for the swearing in ceremony.

IMO this is too important of an occassion to postpone because you want to go to a wedding. It doesn't take all that long anyway. My wife had her interview in the morning, it took about 15 minutes. We came back at 2:00 PM for the swearing in ceremony and were out of there by 4:00 PM. If your interview is in the afternoon you have to come back the next day for the swearing in ceremony.

Yea, i agree it'd be best not to postpone, but it is my brother's wedding and we've commited to being there. There is like a 3-day window that we wouldn't be able to make the interview (the days leading up to the wedding)... any other day, and we can accommodate for it (and change travel plans if need be).

Is rescheduling generally highly frowned upon (in that it causes major delays and/or complications)? I guess we really need to get that interview letter so we can finally start planning!

Thanks for the response, warpedbored.

One question... you mentioned that the oath was done on the same day since interview was in the morning.

But did you request a name change on the N-400 document? Is Portland's office able to schedule with the court to have a name changed on the same day along with the oath?

We didn't need a name change since we changed her last name to her middle name and she took my last name when we did her AOS. Short answer is I don't know. I don't recall a judge being involved. The man that did the swearing in ceremony was same IO that interviewed her.

Guest Wuhan4me

IIRC, on each 'bump' (I-485,N-400), ya gots an opportunity for 'instant name change' without filing anything for legal name change at the county courthouse.

So, what name did she put on the N-400, and what name does she want to be known by ? If it's all the same , then you don't have to do anything.

If she wants to have a 'legal name change' to be something else, you might want to get to the courthouse earlier in the week, or even prior week, and bring the chopped name change document, from the court, into the citizenship interview. Just my 2 jiao - YMMV, greatly.

and - a name change doesn't need a federal court, just a county court.

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)