The greatest generation

warpedbored

I love this thread. It presents history and philosophical subtleties by us common people. What we could read generally comes from historians who have different perspective. In this thread I read vividly writings that I could not always find from published books. I see the depth of some CFL members.

This is more interesting than if we can only see the posts about individual family¡¯s daily life. Those common happy family events are good to share, but might not much different than many other people¡¯s life, as the Russian novelist Leo Tolstoy wrote, "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

The posts in this thread are good to read and learn.

I've been reading up on the war in Italy and in particular the BAR. I always knew my father was a strong man but he must of been really tough to carry that thing across Italy. The rifle alone weighed 18 lbs but with the ammo and bipod it was at least 40 lbs. I remember once him telling me that it was supposed to be a 2 man carry but he didn't want to have to count on anyone else if shit hit the fan. He preferred to pack it alone on top of all the other stuff he had to carry.

The BAR (M1918) is a heavy weapon that requires specialized training. Probably one per squad. The ammo is heavy, and requires an additional man to act as ammunition carrier (though the directors of Combat! often forgot about this in later episodes). The BAR is often praised as one of the best weapons ever used by the US Army.

http://www.ww2gyrene.org/assets/BAR_nomenclature.jpg

(above) The Browning Automatic Rifle, Cal. 30,

M1918A2,with Bipod

The BAR was an air-cooled, gas-operated,

magazine-fed, shoulder weapon

Weight of the BAR¨C20 pounds with bipod

Rate of fire¨C120-150 rounds per minute

Maximum effective range¨C600 yards

Method of loading¨C20 round magazine

Carl, According to the specs you presented, the BAR was 30 cal. --but well know to have enhanced power over the other standard rifles in the US arsenal ... What was the round it was firing? I'm assuming it wasn't the standard 30-06.

It was a 30-6, same as the M-1 I believe.

Action: Gas Operated Piston and Cylinder

Cartridge: 30-06 Springfield

Feed System: 20-Round Detachable Box

Cyclic Rate-of-Fire: 500 rds/min

Effective Range: 1,069ft (326m; 356yds)

Sights: Fixed Iron Sights

• 1 month later...

Yesterday was my grandpa's 86th birthday. We all were heartly joyous for this day. He is an affable and amiable goodlooking older man. He looks young, like men in their 60s. He is the man I admire most in this world, very knowledgeable, very sagacious. No matter what common clothes he wears, the whole of him always looks dustlessly clean-cut, though he is sure not a neat-freak. He by nature has the temperament that is simpatico and approachable, yet sacrosanct. He does readings many hours a day. He is a good chess player. At this age, he still could win very often when playing chess with people around. He refurses fake chess-playing which others use humility in order to respect his being an older man.

I sometimes pester him to keep talking with me on MSN. I can never be tired of the conversation that is full of his wisdom. But I do use traditional Chinese medicine theory on him that keeping talking long will hurt a man's "Qi", so each time, when I pester him to talk for about 2 hours I ask him to have a rest. My grandparents both are in their 80s and have good health status. I quite believe they will live up to more than 100 years old. They are very happy and contented with life. They keep a healthy living style, watching what they eat, doing morning exercise in public park daily, gathering with their old buddies often. As one of their off-springs, what I can contribute to make their life happy is always being cheerful before them and not to make them worry a little bit.