Venturing around China

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, you are a bad boy today! :lol:

How come you connect what I meant "gild---to paint gold on" with "gelding" which means "to cut off the testicles"! B)

Cuz he can't spell?

Now, add you, Carl, you are a bad boy too!

Because you both know what is gelding, but you pretend you dont know.

Guest jin979

Don, you are a bad boy today! :angry:

How come you connect what I meant "gild---to paint gold on" with "gelding" which means "to cut off the testicles"! :angry:

Cuz he can't spell?

Now, add you, Carl, you are a bad boy too!

Because you both know what is gelding, but you pretend you dont know.

fineart are you spanking Carl and Don :lol:

I would of liked to go to Yunnan... have been there before, but since coming to Nanjing, can't seem to want to go much anywhere else. But we may try to go to Qingdao on our way back to Liaoning province to see another CFLer.

Last Call lasts all night

Last night Jesse and I went to a western bar with live music which was incredible and dancing, and we were about the last two out... :drunk:

The band guy on break kept coming over to us to sit and drink and we got to chat alot; Some guy was having a large party and kept buying us rounds of Southern Comfort; first time I've seen it in China so couldn't resist my favorite drink in the US. Turns out the guy was the boss, and he really paid alot of attention to us... we felt truly gilded... but by the time we got home in the early morning, we were faced with two waiting chinese ladies... :angry:

let's just say that the gild turned geld pretty quickly :shutup:

History

We went to the history museum in Nanjing. very interesting to see the ancient artifacts of pottery, cups, bowls, etc, and then all manner of bronze dating back so far. As you moved up throughout time, one is struck by the "copist" skill; there desire to duplicate the same basic look for thousands of years. Simply reminds me of the Jesuits who first remarked how the chinese seemed experts in recreating anything they came across and would excel then in producing it in mass quantities. Seems they may of been doing this for as long as they could.

Scissors

While our parents like to say, 'don't run with scissors', it seems the chinese have all manner of use for these beyond the tailor; restaurants cutting noodles or trimming the fat off the meat or gutting a fish, supermarkets clipping the old grapes off, etc.

Guest jin979

I would of liked to go to Yunnan... have been there before, but since coming to Nanjing, can't seem to want to go much anywhere else. But we may try to go to Qingdao on our way back to Liaoning province to see another CFLer.

Last Call lasts all night

Last night Jesse and I went to a western bar with live music which was incredible and dancing, and we were about the last two out... :drunk:

The band guy on break kept coming over to us to sit and drink and we got to chat alot; Some guy was having a large party and kept buying us rounds of Southern Comfort; first time I've seen it in China so couldn't resist my favorite drink in the US. Turns out the guy was the boss, and he really paid alot of attention to us... we felt truly gilded... but by the time we got home in the early morning, we were faced with two waiting chinese ladies... :drunk:

let's just say that the gild turned geld pretty quickly :angry:

History

We went to the history museum in Nanjing. very interesting to see the ancient artifacts of pottery, cups, bowls, etc, and then all manner of bronze dating back so far. As you moved up throughout time, one is struck by the "copist" skill; there desire to duplicate the same basic look for thousands of years. Simply reminds me of the Jesuits who first remarked how the chinese seemed experts in recreating anything they came across and would excel then in producing it in mass quantities. Seems they may of been doing this for as long as they could.

Scissors

While our parents like to say, 'don't run with scissors', it seems the chinese have all manner of use for these beyond the tailor; restaurants cutting noodles or trimming the fat off the meat or gutting a fish, supermarkets clipping the old grapes off, etc.

two ladies waiting for you both , David :shutup:

School Time

It's getting close for students to return to school and it's most easily felt when trying to arrange transportation now; We are in Nanjing and had a difficult time getting out of here for one of a few cities which we felt we could go to in order to get back north.

Sweaty Cities

I'm sure there are more 'sweaty cities' than Nanjing but the 24 hour muggy, overcast, sweat dripping atmosphere explains why not too many fat people are observed; if they are, they are usually just sitting in a chair (or sleeping on a bench) and sweating due to breathing alone.

Today was a pleasure to wake up (let's forget the night before and the headache that kept me in bed till noon) and see a fairly clear sky; there were these things called 'clouds' in the air which some people here claim can be seen once in a while. Despite the apparent clear skys, the heat and humidity felt thick; even a sweat walk at night is common.

But to cure the rash, all manner of 'ancient chinese secrets' have been brought forth, including a some toothpaste and the contents of a capule which has previously been given to me for my stomach... I guess they figure the stomach is close to that area so it can't be all that bad :roller:

this reminded me of a time a few years ago when i was staying in beijing over the winter. the drain in my bathroom floor got clogged up and i was wading through quite a bit of disgusting water in my various attempts to unclog it. around the same time, my feet started to burn throughout the days and became red and inflamed. i assumed i had gotten athletes foot (or, in chinese, ¡°hong kong feet¡±) while repeatedly navigating the ankle-deep murky waters. when i went to the pharmacy around the corner, the first thing the employees asked was whether i had been eating ice cream. i said i did not believe this was relevant -- although i had indeed been frequenting the local DQ on a nearly daily basis -- and just wanted some cream to soothe the itching and burning. the workers agreed to sell me some cream and also wanted me to buy some medicine in pill-form. i asked, how is that going to affect my feet? one of the employees, seemingly amused at how i had reacted to the ice cream query and now their recommendation, said, ¡°this is eastern medicine!¡± they laughed when i immediately shot back ¡°but my body is western!¡±

using just the cream, my feet were feeling better within a few hours and within a week the red color and itchiness was completely gone. to fix the drain, i had to get the maintenance people from the building complex to come over with a power auger. the culprit was a wad of black hair about the size of a large mouse.

Enough about tech stuff David. We want to hear about your trip. How about starting a David's adventures in China thread?

I guess I'm a little behind in sharing any info about my trip to china. I've already been in 5 cities in two weeks. Gained 10 pounds in the first 5 days from too much 'gan bei'. I tested for the first time some 140 proof bai jiu from Liaoning Province... I don't recommend more than a 1/5 of a glass unless you want to be reminded of your entire previous night.

I have played my favorite sports so far: basketball, soccer, pool, and ping pong. Last year I was invited to go a school to teach soccer and they were involved in a soccer tournament this year. I got word from my friend's dad (the coach) that I was invited to come see it. Since it worked with my plans I said I would come by... Turns out, they put my name in the tournament program handout as the "special guest from the US";

I have loved ping pong since the day I first tried it at summer camp and like most sports, I took to it easily. I never play ping pong anymore unless I am in china but I always ask for some good players to play with. They usually think I will be a push over but it takes about 15 minutes of practicing to get back into the 'slam' of it. One player really was pushing me around the table and I finally took a break and sat down for about 10 minutes. After clearing my head, he couldn't beat me again because I changed my style to return slamming his serves. My friend who setup the 'match' then said he would get another guy the next day, who turned out to be a 'south paw' like me. He had great spin on his forehand smash which even my forehand could not reach at times. For this guy, I backed off the table and played a low spinning return which he could not figure out.

I had dinner with GZBill while in BJ. Alot of interesting discussion about china and US which we agreed more than we disagreed. Maybe too controversial for here :) . I have been a few days at Jesse's (ShaQuaNew) in Nanjing catching up on many things (we visited a few times when he was still in US).

I'll probably be here a few more days and head back north. One CFLer send me a PM to come to Qingdao but not sure I can make that yet. The call of Liaoning Jiu is strong :)

Too many observations about china to relate... I'll save them for another post.

Hi!! David. Remember me? Hong?

I understand you are in China now?

I hope you are having fun and please be careful, OK?

I remember you tell me why you goto China now.

I will not say now.

This is just between you and I.

Just have fun and enjoy.

I will talk to you when you go home.

Hong

Hong!!!! You are not supposed to tell that David is on a secret mission for Candle. He will be in danger of becoming gelded.

Sorry!! I did not know??

David just PM together.

He good friend.

Sorry don?

Your husband will explain - I'm teasing you.

Michael now very lazy and look at TV. :huh:

But he look and say don't worry.

Don just crazy and love Chinese woman?

He tell me to make new post and new question.

So i think now what to say.

I do not want to get in trouble?

Hong!!!! You are not supposed to tell that David is on a secret mission for Candle. He will be in danger of becoming gelded.

I already posted the gelding has started :P

and being here in nanjing with jesse and lan has been a 24 hour education in teasing and sarcasm...

@Hong:

Don't worry Hong, I appreciate your post. Michael only writes me to ask how much jiu I have consumed, and have a bottle for him!

Don't worry about Don's teasing; you've not revealed anything about a secret mission... that's still well guarded ;)

but you did reveal to the public (and therefore Michael) and you and i have chatted in the past :o Maybe keep talking about Don's post and keep everyone's attention on that.. hey, that's the ticket :D