Wife's green card interview - APPROVED!

We had our green card interview on 8/6/09. The interviewer asked a lot of tough questions that caught us off guard. I think he liked the fact that we did not come back with any scripted answers. In hindsight, we definitely did not have the best answers, but he saw us as genuine and more importantly, approved!

Welcome to USA letter came a few days letter. Green card should arrive in a few weeks.

See signature for timeline.

Congrats! Tough questions? You got me worry about my hus's now...

Here's the thing: There was no "correct" answer. The point I was trying to make is that we didn't practice like we did for the Guangzhou interview (where the fiancee is by herself). Here you are present as a couple, already married, and they just need to get a genuine sense of love between you. It's okay to worry, it's okay to be caught off guard, just be genuine. That's what I took away from the experience.

Some points of interest:

1. He first asked for my passport for proof of US citizenship, and seemed alarmed that I didn't bring it. I showed him my birth certificate instead (which is what the interview letter said to bring), and he said, "Oh yeah, that will work too."

2. Pointed questions about how we knew we loved each other in such a short time.

3. He enjoyed looking at the pictures (both from our wedding, and some trips we took together later).

4. He was interested in seeing things such as join bank accounts and jointly filed tax returns. Letters from family and friends didn't seem to carry much weight, but he did mention to save them for the removal of conditions interview.

5. They do not provide translation service like they did in Guangzhou, so since my wife's English is still limited, we brought an interpreter to help her with some of his questions (she would not have understand 50% of his questions had she been on her own).

That's about all that sticks in my memory now... except for after the approval stamp, the tension was gone, and he was not nearly as serious anymore. He made a point to mention that his intention was to protect the American citizen in the marriage.