Notarial marriage certificate

My wife is getting the notarial marriage certificate among other docs but she is being asked which notarial marriage cert she wants ... the book or the paper explaining our (she and my) relationship as husband and wife. I told her the book, but she asks me to question here and make sure I am correct. Any ideas?

Also should I have docs translated here in USA? Before I scan and e-mail them?

Edited by Appaullo (see edit history)
Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

The documents required are the GongZhengShu ¹«Ö¤Êé

Sample application for documents (your province or hukou may vary):

http://www.bnpo.gov.cn/upload/file/200872115331419.doc

http://www.bnpo.gov.cn/guide/detail1.asp

A discussion of the huji (or hukou »§¿Ú) system can be found at Hukou System. Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Note that police records and single certificates are valid for one year from the date of notarization. Others are valid indefinitely.

http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/index...dpost&p=673

Available in the form of notarial marriage certificates (Jie Hun Gong Zheng [or Zheng Wing] Shu)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Guest shutterbug

My wife is getting the notarial marriage certificate among other docs but she is being asked which notarial marriage cert she wants ... the book or the paper explaining our (she and my) relationship as husband and wife. I told her the book, but she asks me to question here and make sure I am correct. Any ideas?

Also should I have docs translated here in USA? Before I scan and e-mail them?

If you look at the checklist provided by the consulate, it may be up to interpretation according to the English version (of the checklist), it does refer to the latter in the Chinese version. In the past both have been accepted by the consulate. I turned in the former version because that was what I already had. I hear that to have the latter version issued, some Gong Zheng Chu require the presence of both parties, but I have no personal experience in that respect.

I am curious as to how NVC reacts to it: the former version is more in line with documents issued in other countries. The reason I am thinking along this line is that after DOS shifted the task of collecting documents for IR/CR visas from the consulate to NVC, a number of beneficiaries have reported having their notarial birth certificates rejected by NVC. Prior to January 1996 there was no formal birth certificate in China, the consulate knows that, but not everyone at NVC is aware of this country-specific issue and expects something that doesn't exist.

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

The version you want looks just like the book they give you saying she isn't a criminal, and the book they give you that verifies when she was born.

It should be the book, not the paper, but just double check. The version you want comes with the English translation. You don't want anything you have to then go and get translated again, if so you have the wrong thing.

Not having the right notarial marriage certificate is what got our petition denied, but then we reopened the case and got accepted two months later just by supplying the correct document.

I am travelling right now, but I will get a scanned copy of the notarial marriage certificate (with our personal info crossed out) and post it for your reference.

Given that it was the document that got our case reopened and accepted I can guarantee it is what they want.