Toddler at the Interview with my wife?

Hey everyone,

So I don't post much but I do troll quite a bit. Want to thank everyone for their information and support, and I will be sure to post after tomorrow to let everyone know how we do and what pitfalls we come across so hopefully other people can avoid them.

The problem we have right now is our two year old. He loves daddy but since I travel back and forth between the U.S. and China on a monthly basis, he is definitely tied to mom's apron strings. About 45 minutes separated from her is the most he can handle before he throws a serious fit. And I mean SERIOUS.

Now of course we plan to work on this, but the day of her interview doesn't seem like the best time, and my wife is very concerned. She doesn't want to worry about how much of a tantrum he is throwing while she is waiting for her interview. So do you think she will be able to take him with her?

As a side benefit, he is pretty much a living proof of the bona fide relationship. He strongly resembles both of us, so I am guessing he can't hurt her chances.

Thanks in advance.

Kris and Qiao Qiao (and Alex)

Edited by RedKris (see edit history)

That's what I thought. Thank you.

So she is allowed to bring him? I was concerned he would not be able to go in with her. A young baby sure, but I thought a 2 year old might be crossing the line.

What line is that? He has an American passport.

Even with a Chinese passport (and visa), a notarized letter from the father would be more than sufficient. The birth cerificate also may come in handy

Don't think too hard here

- edit - Sorry - just figured out you're talking about the interview and not the trip back. The USC is not alowed to attend, so the child (who is not applying for a visa) may not be either. I would just play it by ear the day of the interview.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What line is that? He has an American passport.

I was referring to not being able to bring others in to the interview with her. For example I can't go. Makes sense that rule doesn't apply to an infant, but it might apply to a 10 year old. Wasn't sure where the age cutoff occurs, or even if it occurs at all.

But like Warped said, I will be there as well so worst case scenario I will take care of him while she is inside. Just was trying to make my wife as stress-free as possible. You would think that NOT taking the 2 year old in with her would be better on that front, but I think the separation issues cut both ways to be perfectly honest. And with my part time dad status, I am not to be trusted. :huh:

Again, something to address after we get pink!

Definitely! We have a good selection of family photos from the last couple of years, clearing showing him growing up with us. Including photos from three different visits my parents and brother made to China.

I am sure if it is just about a bona fide relationship, the pink is guaranteed. I think the only potential pitfall is some technicality I might have missed.

Well we didn't even try since Alex was being a bit of a pain in the ass while we were waiting there this morning. Made the most sense for me to take him for a walk and when we got back, Qiao Qiao was already inside.

In the end it was all about Alex anyway. They asked her a couple of generic questions like how we met and what I did for work, but the ONLY evidence they asked to see was our son's passport. And then Qiao Qiao was given the Pink!

Well we didn't even try since Alex was being a bit of a pain in the ass while we were waiting there this morning. Made the most sense for me to take him for a walk and when we got back, Qiao Qiao was already inside.

In the end it was all about Alex anyway. They asked her a couple of generic questions like how we met and what I did for work, but the ONLY evidence they asked to see was our son's passport. And then Qiao Qiao was given the Pink!

That is pretty compelling evidence! Good for you!

Congratulations!

Correct. He is not immigrating, he is just 'going home'. They were only interested in seeing his passport as proof of the connection between my wife and I.

What he did need was an exit permit from the Chinese Government. Which basically looks and acts like a one time/one use Chinese Passport. It even has some of the same language inside the first couple of pages like a Chinese Passport.

The reason for this is that the Chinese government effectively considers a baby born inside it's borders as Chinese until they are given this exit permit and leave. The child is allowed to stay in China without a visa indefinitely until they do leave, and then if they want to come back they need to return on their regular passport and a visa.