Dazed and confused

Ling tells me that we don't need to apply for EAD along with our AOS and AP because she will get a "special stamp" in her passport in a couple months. Huh?????

She entered on a K-1, we're married now and she doesn't plan to work immediately but could in the future. Seems to me like we need EAD.

She even says we don't need AP because this special stamp will let her leave the country and that it only takes a couple months to get it.

I'm so confused.

Guest Long_strider

Tom,

Here is what happened to us. When we filed for AOS in July we also applied for the EAD card and the AP. We applied in person and the policy at the local office was to issue the EAD the same day.

We were told that the AOS interview would be in about 7 months. However, we actually had the AOS interview in October. At the end of the interview, the BCIS rep placed a stamp in her passport that serves as the temporary "green card." until we recieve the real green card. The BCIS rep took back the EAD card and the AP paperwork that they had issued earlier and told us that the stamp in the passport would allow her to work or leave the country and return.

We had originally thought that green card would take a long time to be issued, hence our reason for getting the AP and EAD card at the time of AOS. In retrospect, it was expensive and we really never used them because of the short time between our original filing for AOS and the Interview.

If you anticipate that the interview will be quickly after the AOS filing and there is no rush to go to work or go outside the US, then you may simply wish to wait for the AOS interview and the temporary stamp in her passport. The BCIS office that serves your location may take a long long time, like Mick has experienced with Atlanta.

Hope this helps..

Mike

Again, different places, different procedures. We too applied for AOS, EAD, and AP at the same time. AP was quick, around 42 days but EAD took a full 85 days. We were told that AOS could take anywhere up to 36 months. But then, this is the Atlanta office and handles much of the southeast. If you are fortunate enough to be able to file in person, it may be faster. Also, if you are from Indiana, you might try contacting Tine of Tine and Ella. They are from Indiana and could probably give you a good idea of what the drill is there.

We did not get any kind of stamp in the passport but instead, got an EAD card that looks kind of like a drivers license.

Ok I think I've got it now.

WE are actually in Chicago. I have to stand in line at the post office to mail the material to BCIS which is right across the street :lol:

Hopefully, AP will get processed quickly - that's our only real concern. Not even going to do EAD on orders from the One Who Must Be Obeyed (who says the $120 could best be spent elsewhere).

The Indiana reference was in regard to someone Ling refers to only as "Indiana girl" - I though Mike might be her husband - in which case there was another long thread about to start concerning BOATS of all things :blink: :blink: :blink:

Don't forget the money order...don't forget the money order...don't forget the money order