J1 Internship Visa Question

A friend of ours is here in America on a J1 Internship Visa.

She has a friend in Vancouver, Canada that she wishes to visit in the near future.

Is it possible/not possible to enter Canada on this visa?

My assumption would be no, but I know it is a question better asked here on CFL.

Thanks,

Clayton

Guest shutterbug

She has a friend in Vancouver, Canada that she wishes to visit in the near future.

My assumption would be no, but I know it is a question better asked here on CFL.

Thanks,

Clayton

No. She needs to apply for a Canadian visitor visa. The Canadian government only waives visa requirement for green card holders - I am surprised Canada even does that, considering that the US government does not give maple card holders reciprocal treatment.

Thanks,

Clayton

No. She needs to apply for a Canadian visitor visa. The Canadian government only waives visa requirement for green card holders - I am surprised Canada even does that, considering that the US government does not give maple card holders reciprocal treatment.

Uh - she needs to make sure she can get back in the country after the visit - I believe the answer is 'no' there as well

Thanks,

Clayton

Uh - she needs to make sure she can get back in the country after the visit - I believe the answer is 'no' there as well

Out-of-U.S.

If you intend to travel temporarily out of the U.S. and return, you will need to have a valid DS-2019 for re-entry (see below). You will also need to have a valid U.S. visa to re-enter and, of course, your passport must be valid. If necessary, make sure you obtain a new U.S. visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad before returning, as you will not be permitted entry to the U.S. without it.

A valid DS-2019 is either a properly endorsed pink copy of a previously issued DS-2019 with an expiration date valid at least 30 days beyond the date you will re-enter the U.S. or a new DS-2019 issued by your program sponsor.

http://www.uakron.edu/oip/immigration/J1Visa.php

Thanks shutterbug and Randy.

The info you provided was passed on to the questioning friend. Not only is your link a good one, it also states what is required to travel to Canada on a J1 Visa.

I have a feeling, her friend may need to travel here to Nashville if they wish to meet once again.

Thanks for all your help.

Clayton