Working In China

I see a few people post here that live and work in China, mainly teaching English. I was wondering how you got your English teaching positions and what qualifications are required?

I have done a few web searches but for some reason some of the ads for English teachers sound a little fishy to me.

Advice and recommendations appreciated

I see a few people post here that live and work in China, mainly teaching English. I was wondering how you got your English teaching positions and what qualifications are required?

I have done a few web searches but for some reason some of the ads for English teachers sound a little fishy to me.

From what I've seen / heard:

Qualifications: A pulse

Where to find positions: Internet. Word of mouth. Cold calls. Recruiters.

This is probably the best advice of all. :threeques:

This is probably the best advice of all. :cheering:

Yep, I like the qualifications indicated. :threeques:

But yes this is true, what is in demand is a person who speaks English FLUENTLY.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

While everyone is having a good laugh at the expense of the Chinese educational system, I'll interject that my Chinese daughter came to the US with 4-5 years of English in a Nanning school; managed just under a 4.0 in her senior year; and is just a shade shy of fluent as she enters the University of Montana. Sounds to me like the Chinese educational system did fine by her.

What the Chinese educational system did for her was to teach her to learn.

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

Thanks for all the suggestions, my interest was peaked my last trip to China to see my SO just a few weeks ago.

I sat in on 2 of her English classes and I ended up teaching both of them while the regular teacher looked on. I was extremely popular with the class, even receiving applause at the end of each class. (most likely due to them laughing constantly at my poor Chinese)

I promptly changed her school after those 2 classes also as her teacher was not a native speaker but a Russian National who had good English ability, but many basic things were being taught incorrectly.

Last questions for those familiar with the process and system. Is there a peak time for beginning and ending of the contracts, meaning similiar to the US where a school year starts in early fall and ends the next year in early summer?

I also see most contracts are for one year, are these renewable so that you can teach for longer then 1 year?

Thanks again for the input

While everyone is having a good laugh at the expense of the Chinese educational system, I'll interject that my Chinese daughter came to the US with 4-5 years of English in a Nanning school; managed just under a 4.0 in her senior year; and is just a shade shy of fluent as she enters the University of Montana. Sounds to me like the Chinese educational system did fine by her.

What the Chinese educational system did for her was to teach her to learn.

You tell em Griz!!

But what they say is the truth. The requirements to teach english in China are very low. That is because the students study vocabulary, and literature, and grammer until they know it better than American kids.

What they can not learn is to speak and listen without a real human (with a pulse).

So, while the joke about the requirements being low is in fact true, it is all the Chinese need from an American. They are diligent, hard working students, they only need a live body to practice with!

cerberus brought this up a while back and gave some good links.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=28848&hl=