question

Guest ricken

i am now in the united states and have green card.my girlfriend is still in china.i miss her very much.so what can i do to make her get the visa and come to see me?i need some instructions about that.

i am now in the united states and have green card.my girlfriend is still in china.i miss her very much.so what can i do to make her get the visa and come to see me?i need some instructions about that.

Here are the instructions on the form filed for fiancees (I-129)....

1. Who may file?

A. You are a United States Citizen

B. You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of

your fiancé(e) entering the United States, and are both free

to marry, and have met in person within two years before

your filing of this petition unless:

l) The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would

violate strict and long-established customs of your or

your fiancé(e)'s foreign culture or social pratice; or

2) It is established that the requirement to personally

meet your fiancé(e) would result in extreme hardship

to you.

Seems that with a green card alone, you can't bring her on a K-1. But, if you can get an Advance Parole to travel there (if needed) and marry her, I think you can apply for a K-3. Let's see what others on Candle think about that idea.

Unfortunately, even if you are married getting a visa for her is a hard row to hoe. My brother-in-law (Chinese) came to the US for his graduate study and it took 4 years and more applications than that to get visas for his wife and daughter to join him. Only after he got his H-1 work visa were they finally granted visas. Even then it took two tries. :D

Perserverence and a good attitude from her during the application and interview process are the best hope for it ever working out.

I heard that Green Card holder can't apply visa for his fiancee, only can apply visa for his wife. The visa category is " F2a ", if it more than 3 years and the date is earlier than Dec 2001, then the visa category can be changed to " V ". Usually this kind of visa takes more than 4 years.

The best way is you get a citizenship as soon as possible. :D