Processing Time Information

I was looking at the USCIS site for timeline information about the n400.

On the site it said that as of May 31 in Sacramento, they were processing n400 cases dated January 1st 2009. Our case is March 2nd 2009, so our date is approaching the timeline limit. So my question is this. Does processing mean the actual interview or does it mean setting the appointment and sending out a letter to the applicant for the interview? Should we be making phone calls again?

Thanks for all your help.

Guest Wuhan4me

On this type of 'time tick', I always thought it to mean 'we opened the casefile' - i.e. - it's come out of the queue and it's on someone's desk for evaluation.

I could be wrong, of course.

I don't take it to mean 'we're scheduling an interview', not at all. IMO, that's WAY premature.

On this type of 'time tick', I always thought it to mean 'we opened the casefile' - i.e. - it's come out of the queue and it's on someone's desk for evaluation.

I could be wrong, of course.

I don't take it to mean 'we're scheduling an interview', not at all. IMO, that's WAY premature.

You are correct, time for it to get to an adjudicator to be handled, however things like name checks tend to get started earlier than that.
Guest shutterbug

On the site it said that as of May 31 in Sacramento, they were processing n400 cases dated January 1st 2009. Our case is March 2nd 2009, so our date is approaching the timeline limit. So my question is this. Does processing mean the actual interview or does it mean setting the appointment and sending out a letter to the applicant for the interview? Should we be making phone calls again?

While processing timelines issued by my service center (VSC) have been quite accurate over the last decade covering a range of forms I filed, I-765, I-129, I-140, I-485, I-131, I-130, I-129F, I had no such luck with N-400, which is dependent on the district office - over time my case fell a year behind the district office's own published processing time, and yet almost all of those who worked there kept telling me I should go home and wait patiently instead of bothering them, until someone who cared and also knew what was going on did something about it, otherwise it would have dragged on for at least two more months and by that time I would have filed for a writ of mandamus at the District Court. Not every district office is so incompetent, nor do most cases going through my particular DO encounter delays. Most cases are completed within a reasonable timeframe. YMMV. If a phone call doesn't get you any information, make an Infopass appointment at the district office.

While processing timelines issued by my service center (VSC) have been quite accurate over the last decade covering a range of forms I filed, I-765, I-129, I-140, I-485, I-131, I-130, I-129F, I had no such luck with N-400, which is dependent on the district office - over time my case fell a year behind the district office's own published processing time, and yet almost all of those who worked there kept telling me I should go home and wait patiently instead of bothering them, until someone who cared and also knew what was going on did something about it, otherwise it would have dragged on for at least two more months and by that time I would have filed for a writ of mandamus at the District Court. Not every district office is so incompetent, nor do most cases going through my particular DO encounter delays. Most cases are completed within a reasonable timeframe. YMMV. If a phone call doesn't get you any information, make an Infopass appointment at the district office.

One of the major holdups for naturalization was the FBI fingerprint and background check, in your case this probably was the problem, the field office probably handled the application by the date they indicated on the website, however you got hung by the FBI taking a LONG time.

This has changed.

MORE: USCIS, FBI Eliminate National Name Check Backlog

Guest shutterbug

One of the major holdups for naturalization was the FBI fingerprint and background check, in your case this probably was the problem, the field office probably handled the application by the date they indicated on the website, however you got hung by the FBI taking a LONG time.

This has changed.

MORE: USCIS, FBI Eliminate National Name Check Backlog

Actually, the entire hold-up was at the DO. The service center was done with everything, including name-check, then it took over 14 months for the DO to complete it. A long story...