Bringing Nephew to US Student Visa?

Guest Wuhan4me

Another page to read

DOS - http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1269.html

Can students come to live with U.S. citizen relatives while attending public school?

Foreign students may come to the U.S. to live with U.S. citizen relatives while attending public school. The child is limited to twelve months of study in secondary school (high school). The child may not study in elementary school. It should be noted however, that the student's status as a resident of the school district and the fact that the U.S. citizen has paid local property/school taxes is irrelevant and does not fulfill the cost reimbursement requirement of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) 214 (m). Therefore, the full tuition costs must be paid to the school or school district.

Yup, indeedy -

A Private School Trumps those 2 requirements - 1) high school only and 2) one year only. Also, there's no 'school district' reimbursement to worry about (Private Tuition is more, and worth it) . Stay with me? Focus a bit ??

Find a PRIVATE SCHOOL, with a history of I-20 students. You can do it, come on, focus a bit more... please? TIA!

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

My wife would like to bring her nephew to the US in the future to attend school he is still young 8 years old, is this possible? and what procedures would be necessary? what is the earliest age he could come if possibe? Thanks!

I had mention in my initial question that my wife would like to bring her nephew to the US in the future not as a 8 year old, I realize it does take time in most cases. My wife works at a private college which also has a high school and elementary school.They have many students from all different countries, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong to name a few, but none from China that I recall. That might be her best bet to check with the the school administration section to inquire how to go about bringing him to the US for some of his education. He is doing just find now in a private school in China but she would like to give him a chance at a college or university here in the US. If he could obtain a student visa earlier it probally would make his chances later on easier?

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

My wife would like to bring her nephew to the US in the future to attend school he is still young 8 years old, is this possible? and what procedures would be necessary? what is the earliest age he could come if possibe? Thanks!

I had mention in my initial question that my wife would like to bring her nephew to the US in the future not as a 8 year old, I realize it does take time in most cases. My wife works at a private college which also has a high school and elementary school.They have many students from all different countries, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong to name a few, but none from China that I recall. That might be her best bet to check with the the school administration section to inquire how to go about bringing him to the US for some of his education. He is doing just find now in a private school in China but she would like to give him a chance at a college or university here in the US. If he could obtain a student visa earlier it probally would make his chances later on easier?

Yes - if her school will offer an I-20 to some of their students, that would be the best place to get most of your questions answered.

But there may or may not be an advantage to bringing him so early - all the Chinese people I know at work came at the university level.

Guest Wuhan4me

This site provides a search capability to find schools meeting specific criteria, but it was unable to find an elementary school in Texas that would issue an I-20

http://www.tabs.org/about/us_visa.html

Basically, you need to find a PRIVATE SCHOOL list and start calling each admissions office. I've never found any pertinent info on the interwebs about this.

AWTY International School, in Houston TX handles the intake of the I-20 paperwork - I confirmed with the admissions counselor last week - it's NOT a problem as long as there is a guardian in place stateside.

Back to the OP - I feel weird, as your wife works in a school system that already handles this stuff - surely you could have had her find out how 'that school' handles this stuff prior to posting?

This site provides a search capability to find schools meeting specific criteria, but it was unable to find an elementary school in Texas that would issue an I-20

http://www.tabs.org/about/us_visa.html

Sorry you feel weird, that sounds like your problem. My wife is from China and she is like many others from there that don't delve into their personal life with strangers, it is not like she works in administration. When she asked me I first thought about posting here on COL and getting personal advice like I have many times in the past and everyone was very helpful, I hadn't thought about this until one of the post mentioned it. I shouldn't have to be explaining this to you or anyone else for that matter. It was a simple question the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. Good Luck sorry you feel WEIRD.

Basically, you need to find a PRIVATE SCHOOL list and start calling each admissions office. I've never found any pertinent info on the interwebs about this.

AWTY International School, in Houston TX handles the intake of the I-20 paperwork - I confirmed with the admissions counselor last week - it's NOT a problem as long as there is a guardian in place stateside.

Back to the OP - I feel weird, as your wife works in a school system that already handles this stuff - surely you could have had her find out how 'that school' handles this stuff prior to posting?