Using your T-Mobile Plan in China

I have T-Mobile with a data plan and texting.

I asked them what needs to be activiation fee or service is needed for receiving emails.

They said that all services will work in china; just that if I use something, then an extra fee applies as follows;

Voice mail or calls: $2.99 / minute

Web: can't remember, but by the MB (?)

texting: Free incoming; .35 outgoing.

Viewing email if from phone (ie: not browser): Same as texting.

------------

Has anyone used their T-Mobile in China and it works as they say?

I had my t-Mobile in Chongqing, April. Did not have any signal at all, or in Shangha also. Do not get much signal here in the mountains of Virginia also. T-mobile website listed, $1,80 per minute for me to call China from here. After 3 years with t-mobile, I canceled last month.

Hey Tim,

did you arrange the sim prior to leaving or pick it up in China?

I guess that is the trade off; either get a local sim and use Wifi for email (hope it connects through) or use current phone to rely on texting but expensive to use phone.

what's the rate for US calls?

Yes, I had my gal pick me up a SIM card that is good for both Shenyang and Beijing.

Not sure the rate to call back, but I have skype on my iphone for that, providing I can find a wi-fi spot. I just wanted to make sure my family could get in touch with me, i.e. call me, or text me when I was in China.

If I get an urgent matter and need to get a call out, the payphone's there don't have a horrible rate I'm told.

I plan to use skype on my iphone or Netbook if I need to talk for any extended time.

Hey Tim,

did you arrange the sim prior to leaving or pick it up in China?

I guess that is the trade off; either get a local sim and use Wifi for email (hope it connects through) or use current phone to rely on texting but expensive to use phone.

what's the rate for US calls?

Yes - the China-based carriers are the best to use, if you have an un-locked phone. You can get local only and pay long-distance, or a nation-wide SIM.

We missed meeting up with David one trip when my local (Guangxi) SIM didn't work in Beijing.

We have T-Mobile and I unlocked both mine and my wife's phone before going on our last trip to China. Since the wife went ahead of me she picked us up some sim cards and mailed mine back to me. I simply took out the T-mobile card and inserted the Chinese sim card. Worked like a champ. I called the wife in Nanning as soon as I got to GZ and again when I got to Nanning. It is so easy to get separated in the crowds. I felt much better having my cell phone with me. I didn't use it much after getting to Nanning so I gave the card to my stepson when we left.

• 2 weeks later...

My T-Mobile phone (samsung trace) worked great in Xiamen, Fuzhou, and Hong Kong earlier this month. I had even better reception in most places than my fiance with her Chinese phone/sim card.

2.99 USD a min in China. 3.99 USD a min in HK. 0.20 USD to send texts anywhere. Free to receive texts.

A little expensive... but it worked hassle free so I can't really complain.

Calling China from America is 0.18 USD to Chinese cellphones and like 0.07 USD to landlines. I use skype when I can... but it isn't always convenient.

Edited by mwastart (see edit history)

a little update... using an iPhone

My T-Mobile plan has a data plan. When I arrived in BJ, everything worked immediately. I have not looked at my T-Mobile account yet to confirm the pricing for the few text I have sent.

I did get a local SIM which worked fine; then added a data plan which does not seem to work. If I swap SIMs my T-Mobile data plan works. No sure if it's the phone or SIM compatibility or what. To be continued.

Finally I can write here now, I wondered why I can't put my word and see people's article, hehe, now I understand that the registration needs to be validated by administrator.

about using America phone in China, your guys had better use my way, my way is the cheapest, I bought a MajcJack here, and it can be brought to China, you can bring it anywhere and calling America cost nothing, if you call your friend in China, it will cost a little money, 0.12RMB per minute, hehe, it is the best way I found to Call China, and from China call back USA.

Finally I can write here now, I wondered why I can't put my word and see people's article, hehe, now I understand that the registration needs to be validated by administrator.

about using America phone in China, your guys had better use my way, my way is the cheapest, I bought a MajcJack here, and it can be brought to China, you can bring it anywhere and calling America cost nothing, if you call your friend in China, it will cost a little money, 0.12RMB per minute, hehe, it is the best way I found to Call China, and from China call back USA.

It's probably best to not make your first post read like SPAM, but we use ChinaCall back also

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)