Ethnic Minorities...

Al lot of you over 40 guys and ladies are missing a lot of what comprises "modern" China I think. Despite obvious cultural differences, my wife bore more resemblance to someone I would meet down the street than this storied vision of the Chinese people I often read on this website. Their world has changed drastically, and I think somewhere around 36 and under you start seeing it more and more with many of the urban teens and 20 somethings being even more shallow and spoiled than your typical American kid. The generation gaps developing dwarf anything in the western world (as pretty much anything Chinese tends to do). The # of people who hold a Prada bag more valuable than filial piety, and dressing in the latest fashions more important that 50 millionty-billion years of culture is grown exponentially. You're all talking about a pre 1980's china that is fading like an old violet. Stick around a couple more decades.

What he said... :coolthumb:

I had a discussion with a older family member on my wife's side

he mentioned that the usa or any other country should not expect the human rights issues in china to get better anytime soon as china is a such young country and these things take time when I mentioned the 5000 year history he replied that was the old china the new china is only 60 years old

I had a discussion with a older family member on my wife's side

he mentioned that the usa or any other country should not expect the human rights issues in china to get better anytime soon as china is a such young country and these things take time when I mentioned the 5000 year history he replied that was the old china the new china is only 60 years old

What he said too... B)

Dadgummit...we're Americans and WE want you people to make the changes WE think you people need to make....RIGHT NOW...NOT TOMORROW!!! We may need you to do something else tomorrow!!!

Now GIT 'ER DONE...TODAY...DON'T DELAY To hell with your civilization...or lack there of (as WE see it).

tsap seui B)

Oh if'n I were the prez-ah-dent...I'd kick me sum BIG ASS...and it would start in Washington, DC...with white boyz in suits...I tells ya!!!!

Dadgummit...we're Americans and WE want you people to make the changes WE think you people need to make....RIGHT NOW...NOT TOMORROW!!! We may need you to do something else tomorrow!!!

Now GIT 'ER DONE...TODAY...DON'T DELAY To hell with your civilization...or lack there of (as WE see it).

tsap seui B)

Oh if'n I were the prez-ah-dent...I'd kick me sum BIG ASS...and it would start in Washington, DC...with white boyz in suits...I tells ya!!!!

What he said... :D

Al lot of you over 40 guys and ladies are missing a lot of what comprises "modern" China I think. Despite obvious cultural differences, my wife bore more resemblance to someone I would meet down the street than this storied vision of the Chinese people I often read on this website. Their world has changed drastically, and I think somewhere around 36 and under you start seeing it more and more with many of the urban teens and 20 somethings being even more shallow and spoiled than your typical American kid. The generation gaps developing dwarf anything in the western world (as pretty much anything Chinese tends to do). The # of people who hold a Prada bag more valuable than filial piety, and dressing in the latest fashions more important that 50 millionty-billion years of culture is grown exponentially. You're all talking about a pre 1980's china that is fading like an old violet. Stick around a couple more decades.

Exactly ... I did not even know who D&G or Prada were (along with numerous other fashion designers) until I came to China. For some reason (called Sex in the City) the chinese people thought everyone in USA has all this famous designer goods.

I am amazed at how much money means to the younger culture and I do not see them saving money but getting themself into debt for face (same as keeping up with the Jones in USA).

Exactly ... I did not even know who D&G or Prada were (along with numerous other fashion designers) until I came to China. For some reason (called Sex in the City) the chinese people thought everyone in USA has all this famous designer goods.

I am amazed at how much money means to the younger culture and I do not see them saving money but getting themself into debt for face (same as keeping up with the Jones in USA).

I've noted that with young people getting a car is first and foremost on their big ticket items wish list...makes one wonder about the real estate market down the road... :huh:

Guest jin979

tsap seui :huh:

What he said... :plane:

what he said :ph34r:

tsap seui :lol:

What he said... :lol:

what he said :D

but what said he? ;)

I've noted that with young people getting a car is first and foremost on their big ticket items wish list...makes one wonder about the real estate market down the road... :D

From what I learned it is car AND house with the requirement that the house should be totally paid off. Where this money comes from and how they expect to have all of this at so young an age baffles me.

For the ones that are given an older house by their parents they still have to get all new furniture, etc.

In some ways the younger generation here is more spoiled than USA. I am hoping the current economic crisis causes the younger generation to be more practical and savers just as the Great Depression did for those generations. Hopefully the excess of the Baby Boomers and their offspring will be pulled in. China will have to deal with the wild expecations of 10% or more growth and everydown living the American dream of 2 houses, 3 cars, 2 boats, 1.5 children, yada-yada-yada...