Hi,

My fiance is landing in LAX next week. Would she have any problems in LAX?

Who gets the consulate package?

Do they ask her any questions?

Thanks!

Look the POE up on the VJ Reviews: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php

Note the procedure at most POE is the same, Immigrants and visitors in one line Citizens and Residents (Green-Cards) on a different line.

The immigrations packet gets turned in to the POE immigrations officer.

Make sure your fiancee fills out an I-94 card, usually handed out on the plane flight, the POE officer keeps all but the departure record portion which the POE officer should staple in passport.

Also handed out on the flight will be a customs declaration form, items of personal nature does not need to be declared, only Cash exceeding $10,000 needs to be declared.

Questions tend to be basic, like when do you plan on marriage, where does your fiancee live, and they remind that K-1 holder that marriage needs to happen with 90 days.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

This is not relay a "First Step" topic which has to do with initial filing of a petition.

Moving to: "AOS & Immigration Challenges"

'Discussion of immigration challenges faced by loved ones after arriving in America. Topics include getting married, filing AOS, EAD, an AP; obtaining SSN, driver's license and other issues."

I have been through LAX many times and also with my K-3/4 wife and daughter upon their entry to the US. I also have had many friends (K-1's) arrive at the LAX POE and none of us have had any significant issues to report.

Chances are, depending on her arrival flight, she will arrive at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBI). The only negative is that this terminal serves multiple airlines, including China Southern, and it can get very busy. The CIS lines can be very long, depending on time of day and day of week.

The good aspect is that they are used to dealing with these type visas on a daily basis. So it should go smooth for her.

Have her hold the Consulate File out in plain sight, for Customs Officers to see. If she is in anyway confused, she can approach any uniformed officer, CIS or federal security, to get directions. Usually they have a couple of Chinese fluent officers on duty.

I have on multiple trips, experienced baggage delays of up to one hour or more, after clearing the immigration portal, and just prior to going through the final Customs portal, just before walking out to the waiting area close to the street, where you will be waiting. So do not be alarmed if she is running behind. Also, within the baggage area of TBI, cell phone reception is dismal. She may not be able to call you if there is a baggage delay.

This is the most exciting time of the process, best wishes !! :blink: