Health check emergency! Help!

we picked up my wife's visa last thursday, bought our tickets and were set to go on monday july 13th. yesterday we were reviewing the documents and saw one line that said you have to carry your X-ray with you when you enter the US for the first time. My wife doesn't have an x-ray because she was pregnant at the time of her first health check. So she emailed GUZ and asked about it, and they called us today and said she has to redo her health check or she will be refused entry!!!

Just an X-ray doesn't take long, we would just then have to take it back to GUZ to be sealed (we are in Shanghai). But if we have to redo the whole thing we'll have to stay here probably another 10 days (and still have to go to GUZ)! Does anybody know anything about this or where I can find out? The trouble this could cause us is considerable. Help!

Guest ShaQuaNew

we picked up my wife's visa last thursday, bought our tickets and were set to go on monday july 13th. yesterday we were reviewing the documents and saw one line that said you have to carry your X-ray with you when you enter the US for the first time. My wife doesn't have an x-ray because she was pregnant at the time of her first health check. So she emailed GUZ and asked about it, and they called us today and said she has to redo her health check or she will be refused entry!!!

Just an X-ray doesn't take long, we would just then have to take it back to GUZ to be sealed (we are in Shanghai). But if we have to redo the whole thing we'll have to stay here probably another 10 days (and still have to go to GUZ)! Does anybody know anything about this or where I can find out? The trouble this could cause us is considerable. Help!

From the consulate Web site:

22. I¡¯m pregnant and can¡¯t have the X-rays that are required for the medical exam. What can I do?

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) mandates that women who are both pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields for pregnant women receiving chest radiographs. If you do not want to have an X-ray while pregnant you can wait until after the birth of your child, but you can not be issued a US Immigrant Visa until you have an X-ray and complete the medical examination.

It appears you will only need to get the x-ray.

From the consulate Web site:

22. I’m pregnant and can’t have the X-rays that are required for the medical exam. What can I do?

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) mandates that women who are both pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields for pregnant women receiving chest radiographs. If you do not want to have an X-ray while pregnant you can wait until after the birth of your child, but you can not be issued a US Immigrant Visa until you have an X-ray and complete the medical examination.

It appears you will only need to get the x-ray.

Note, the OP already has visa, what you highlighted indicates that the consulate MAY not issue, but in this case they did.

MOST POE do not even request or look for X-Ray, the only POE that I have ever heard of asking about x-ray, is the one in Honolulu, HI.

In this case I thing OP is OK. More than likely the medical used a TB Skin test to satisfy this.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I agree with Dan here - you've done everything you're supposed to, have everything you need. The x-ray is only looked at if needed for medical reasons, or occasionally by a security guard to verify that it's only an x-ray

By the way, the x-ray is placed in a separate envelope, which can be done without the rest of the medical exam.

Do you have an exit visa from China and US visa for the Child?

Good point,

If one parent is US Citizen, then should register the birth at the US consulate or US embassy in China, get a US passport, and will need to apply for an exit visa to leave China.

Guest Wuhan4me

If she has the visa stamp already, she doesn't have to go to GUZ for anything.

HOWEVER, she DOES have a sealed envelope with her medical records.

She can take this sealed envelope to a Medical Facility in Shanghai (read above for the address) and get it done there, usually with same day or next day turn around.

The x-ray is such a hassle, yes?

Good Luck !

Thanks for the replies everybody, you guys are great!

I was thinking it would be ok without it too, but my wife was/is freaking out about it. You were right Randy, the consulate actually called us back today (amazing, right?) and they told us that we don't have to redo the whole exam. Thats good news, but they said we have to bring the X-ray and shot record to GUZ to be "sealed". This doesn't really make sense to me, why isn't the seal from the hospital in Shanghai good enough? If she has to go back to GUZ I think it should be on their dime! I'm going to call the Shanghai consulate tomorrow (while she is off getting her xray and shot) and see if there is any reason we can't have that sealed (or stamped, whatever) at the consulate in Shanghai.

This is really just ridiculous. The term "Kafkaesque" comes to mind.

and thanks for the reminder about our son, but we already got him a US passport and exit visa. He's all set! Ironic that he could travel to the US months before his mother...

Edited by judorex (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies everybody, you guys are great!

I was thinking it would be ok without it too, but my wife was/is freaking out about it. You were right Randy, the consulate actually called us back today (amazing, right?) and they told us that we don't have to redo the whole exam. Thats good news, but they said we have to bring the X-ray and shot record to GUZ to be "sealed". This doesn't really make sense to me, why isn't the seal from the hospital in Shanghai good enough? If she has to go back to GUZ I think it should be on their dime! I'm going to call the Shanghai consulate tomorrow (while she is off getting her xray and shot) and see if there is any reason we can't have that sealed (or stamped, whatever) at the consulate in Shanghai.

This is really just ridiculous. The term "Kafkaesque" comes to mind.

and thanks for the reminder about our son, but we already got him a US passport and exit visa. He's all set! Ironic that he could travel to the US months before his mother...

It needs to be sealed inside the immigrations packet, check with Shanghai, they may be able to do it, however keep in mind the immigrations unit is located in Guangzhou, and it may be that the IV unit has the authority to seal the immigrations packet.
  • 3 weeks later...

As mentioned previously I went to the consulate in Shanghai, and they were able to call to GUZ and tell us that if the x-ray was sealed by the hospital we would not need to come back to GUZ. We were very fortunate to find someone at the SH consulate who was willing to look into it for us because it saved us a useless trip to GUZ because they indeed did NOT want to see the X-ray at our POE (Chicago).

Incidentally, immigration and customs at our POE was a cinch!

I don't know if this will be helpful to anybody, but I hope so.

Guest Wuhan4me

As mentioned previously I went to the consulate in Shanghai, and they were able to call to GUZ and tell us that if the x-ray was sealed by the hospital we would not need to come back to GUZ. We were very fortunate to find someone at the SH consulate who was willing to look into it for us because it saved us a useless trip to GUZ because they indeed did NOT want to see the X-ray at our POE (Chicago).

I'm glad the Consulate in Shanghai verified what I wrote earlier. More important, though, I'm glad it was easy with no big trips.

Welcome to U.S.A. !!!

If you have a moment to write up your POE experience, we'd all love to read it.

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)