oringnally tax returns or can you make a copy

Since the Federal Government already has the tax forms, why don't they just put in a little note in the "fine print" down near the signatures on one of the forms,

"I authorize the use of information supplied to the IRS on my Federal Tax Forms to determine eligibility status".

Also state that additional information may be supplied to supplement the decision if necessary.

Thus, there would be no question about the authenticity or completeness of the records. A tax analysis could be done electronically. Hit one button, and 3 seconds later it comes back with an answer whether person is at 125% of the poverty level (counting all dependents and other exclusions filed).

Of course, with a little forethought one could fudge the income tax records sent to the IRS to make it look like one should PAY MORE TAXES than would otherwise be necessary :unsure:

----- Clifford -----

Since the Federal Government already has the tax forms, why don't they just put in a little note in the "fine print" down near the signatures on one of the forms,

"I authorize the use of information supplied to the IRS on my Federal Tax Forms to determine eligibility status".  

Also state that additional information may be supplied to supplement the decision if necessary.  

Thus, there would be no question about the authenticity or completeness of the records.  A tax analysis could be done electronically.  Hit one button, and 3 seconds later it comes back with an answer whether person is at 125% of the poverty level (counting all dependents and other exclusions filed).  

Of course, with a little forethought one could fudge the income tax records sent to the IRS to make it look like one should PAY MORE TAXES than would otherwise be necessary  :unsure:

----- Clifford -----

Keelec....

You're brilliant! Everyone wants to under-report income to the IRS. In our cases, over-report it, pay the taxes, file with CIS, then get a refund from the IRS when the numbers don't match. This takes care of people with I-134 issues.

Disclaimer: This still constitutes fraud. The above is only posted as whimsical musings.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/linie/smiley-linie-006.gif

Keelec....

You're brilliant!  Everyone wants to under-report income to the IRS.  In our cases, over-report it, pay the taxes, file with CIS, then get a refund from the IRS when the numbers don't match.  This takes care of people with I-134 issues.

Disclaimer: This still constitutes fraud.  The above is only posted as whimsical musings.

Dave,

The problem is that with the current system, it is MUCH easier to fake.

Just write up a second set of tax forms. Fake a few W2 forms (what company do you want to work for?), and add everything to your packet. Make second generation Xerox copies of everything to make it look like you had copied the copies of the files you sent to the IRS. Apparently the INS never asks for a copy of the tax forms for their own records so they wouldn't have any opportunity to verify the authenticity of the forms. As I understand it, they may ask to view the forms during the interview, but they don't add them to the official immigration files.

If records were retrieved from the IRS directly, it would be nearly impossible to fake (without over reporting one's tax liability which is rarely done).

(Of course, most people doing international dating and marriage have already invested around $10K in the relationship, and I find it unlikely that they would have any problems meeting the 125% of the poverty level. I would assume those checks are primarily for Latin American marriages, illegal alien marriages, and perhaps student marriages, but the checks have to be applied to everyone.)

------ Clifford -----

Keelec....

You're brilliant!  Everyone wants to under-report income to the IRS.  In our cases, over-report it, pay the taxes, file with CIS, then get a refund from the IRS when the numbers don't match.  This takes care of people with I-134 issues.

Disclaimer: This still constitutes fraud.  The above is only posted as whimsical musings.

Dave,

The problem is that with the current system, it is MUCH easier to fake.

Just write up a second set of tax forms. Fake a few W2 forms (what company do you want to work for?), and add everything to your packet. Make second generation Xerox copies of everything to make it look like you had copied the copies of the files you sent to the IRS. Apparently the INS never asks for a copy of the tax forms for their own records so they wouldn't have any opportunity to verify the authenticity of the forms. As I understand it, they may ask to view the forms during the interview, but they don't add them to the official immigration files.

If records were retrieved from the IRS directly, it would be nearly impossible to fake (without over reporting one's tax liability which is rarely done).

(Of course, most people doing international dating and marriage have already invested around $10K in the relationship, and I find it unlikely that they would have any problems meeting the 125% of the poverty level. I would assume those checks are primarily for Latin American marriages, illegal alien marriages, and perhaps student marriages, but the checks have to be applied to everyone.)

------ Clifford -----

I know I didn't provide W-2s. Not a bad idea to avoid fraud. I even submitted my entire life's history with social security (I'm anal, remember?). But, because or gov is so disfunctional, one hand never knows what the other is doing. No way DoS could access IRS records. Unless, of course, they add that to the investigative process. Yup...one more agency to wait for.

OMG...what am I doing?? Please....all CIS trolls -- disregard. It's a very bad idea.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/traurig/sad-smiley-067.gif