k3 simple questions

i understand this is probably a question that has been posted multiple times, but i really dont know how the search engine works exactly.

im wondering the process i must wait for my wifes interview.

i talked with someone who is fairly knowledgeable about the interview process when talking about a k1 visa.

but i am k3

will she obtain p3 and p4 in the mail and how long does this take approximently once i get my noa1

thank you

i understand this is probably a question that has been posted multiple times, but i really dont know how the search engine works exactly.

i talked with someone who is fairly knowledgeable about the interview process when talking about a k1 visa.

but i am k3

will she obtain p3 and p4 in the mail and how long does this take approximently once i get my noa1

thank you

my timeline is listed below it may be a little inaccurate but close, but we got married in hong kong and once we started the k3 route it took less than a year. if your married on mainland china it takes a bit longer becuase of more people comming here from the mainland. if your not married I recommend marrying in hong kong.

Edited by adambchildress (see edit history)

but i am k3

thank you

NOA1 to NOA2 can take 3-6 months, filing I-129F for the K3 OPTION usualy slows USCIS processing down as compared to NOT filing I-129F and letting the I-130 process through to an IMMIGRANT CR-1 or IR-1 visa.

NVC process if fairly quick for I-129F 2-4 weeks. Then I-129F takes 3-4 MONTHS to be shipped and then received by GUZ

P-3 takes a few weeks after GUZ "Receives the I-129F", P-4 usually takes 2-4 weeks after P-3 is returned.

Now lets look at the SUPERIOR CR-1/IR-1 (I-130 ONLY) process.

USCIS can take 3-6 months to process I-130.

After NOA2 the I-130 Goes to NVC, 30 or so days later NVC requests Affidavit of support. Then request visa fee payment which can be done on-line. Also can email designation of agent, and also electronically process all NVC forms, and have case sent to GUZ electronically, eliminating the 3-4 month NVC-GUZ shipping time that K-3 has to deal with.

Keep in mind K-3 (Life-ACT) is a visa type that was developed at at time when USCIS was taking a very long time to process I-130 compared to I-129F (K-1) the K-3's whole reason for existance is to reunite spouses and allow them to wait out the I-130 approval together. Since USCIS has begun the practice of approving I-130 AND I-129F starting last fall, the whole reason for K-3 (Entry to the USA and WAITING for I-130 approval). Since last fall if a person responds to the NVC requests for I-130 things like I-864, and DS-230, the CR-1 can be interviewed within weeks of a possible K-3 interview, not months like in the old days.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

Adjustment Of Status: $1010 I-485

($1496)

CR-1

I-130: $355

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC and USCIS has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

Guest Wuhan4me

Hey there BusyOldMan - these last 2 quarters, NOA-1 to NOA-2 time varies greatly, depending on WHICH Service Center is handling the petition.

CSC can go fast, 1 to 2 months. VSC is slower, between 5 to 7 months.

NVC and GUZ are FINALLY using the SAFEFILE system for transmitting electronic documents for ALL VISA TYPES (K-1, K-3, CR-1, IR-1, IR-5), between NVC and GUZ, so there is no longer that 'dead zone' of waiting while the petition is sent out via DHL . 'That Leg' has been wiped out.

WITH THAT SAID....

do you really want to stick with a K-3 ? If you can add in 2 to 3 weeks for your 'wait time' at NVC, I'd recommend you opt in for NVC electronic processing (occurs after the NOA-2 is received) for the I-130. You've got to file an I-130 anyway, so maybe it's time to ditch the pursuit of a K-3 ?

All things being equal, I suggest you go the I-130 route.

Of course, if you really are a busy old man, and can't do the prep work for electronic processing at NVC, then I've no further input for you. (Busy old men usually can hire a tech for this kinda work).

Now - there ARE great reasons for doing a K-3 CURRENTLY - for example - if your wife has a child, and you want that child to come in on a K-4 follow to join (ftj) visa. It's less paperwork than doing 2 I-130's.

dnoblett - hey - the 2 to 4 month wait while clearing customs has vanished , for all petitions at NVC (since mid-april 2009) - GUZ finally decided to TOTALLY USE SAFEFILE data system, and doesn't wait on any physical casefile - this is for K-1, K-3, CR-1, IR-1 and IR-5 visa types. You're welcome to call NVC and ask about this - I've not seen ANYTHING that COVERS ALL of these visa types on the websites (just the I-130 stuff for electronic processing at NVC), so I called NVC about it recently, and got the scoop. It's kinda cool, ya? no more DHL involvement.

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

The I-130 for K4 will need to be filed.

The K3, unlike the K1, is a multi-entry visa and is good for 24 months which can be extended if necessary. The K3 visa has its advantages.

Yes if a child is immigrating, an I-130 is needed to be filed at same time as parent's I-130 if using the CR-1 immigrant visa or plan on running both visas. If strictly doing K-3 K-4 the child's I-130 can be filed later when adjusting status.

Note, CR-1 is a single entry visa because it immediately gets green-card upon entry, the green-card is used on future entries.

The only advantage the K-3 has is it's 2 year validity, in cases where US citizen is not ready to return to the USA because of foreign job, the K-3 can be used to visit USA and eventually enter the USA up to 2 years after it is issued and then adjust status.

but i am k3

thank you

my timeline is listed below it may be a little inaccurate but close, but we got married in hong kong and once we started the k3 route it took less than a year. if your married on mainland china it takes a bit longer becuase of more people comming here from the mainland. if your not married I recommend marrying in hong kong.

If you or significant other are not from HK there is no advantage in getting an interview in HK, you will be denied and told to go to GUZ. They are tougher than you think contrary to popular belief. Trust me been there and done that. But if you want to get married in HK this is OK no problem it is quick and painless.

k-3 filing to interview is about 1 year.

the new electronic process may make it a little faster now, check the timeline thread.

Hi Pommey,

This is not true. If one goes to the timelines and does the calculations for the different Visa you will find the following.

Based on our timelines only and about the past five for each, and form CFL's timelines.

K1 visa = 6 to 8 months with K1 being fastest.

K3 visa = about 8 months

CR1 visa = 11 to 12 months with 15 months not unusual.

***These are rough calculations only*****

With electronic processing of the CR1 visa than it might be a lot faster but one has to have a lot more CR1's processed before one can say that the CR1's have become as fast as K3.

Tom and Ling

the new electronic process may make it a little faster now, check the timeline thread.

Hi Pommey,

This is not true. If one goes to the timelines and does the calculations for the different Visa you will find the following.

Based on our timelines only and about the past five for each, and form CFL's timelines.

K3 visa = about 8 months

With electronic processing of the CR1 visa than it might be a lot faster but one has to have a lot more CR1's processed before one can say that the CR1's have become as fast as K3.

Tom and Ling

NOTE: USCIS has been approving both I-130 and I-129F in K-3 cases on the same date. And I have seen many cases where the petitioner responded to the NVC packets (I-864, and DS-230) in a timely fassion and get the CR-1 case to the consulate BEFORE K-3 interview getting the K-3 DROPPED in favor of the CR-1. A Technique that insures this is to be slow in responding to K-3 packet 3.

but i am k3

thank you

If you or significant other are not from HK there is no advantage in getting an interview in HK, you will be denied and told to go to GUZ. They are tougher than you think contrary to popular belief. Trust me been there and done that. But if you want to get married in HK this is OK no problem it is quick and painless.

If you go the K3 route and get married in Hong Kong you have to be processed in Hong Kong. My wife is from Taishan and the I130 was being prcessed at Guangzhou however when I filed the I129F later on we had to be processed in Hong Kong because that is where the marriage took place. My wife had already been here months before we ever got word on the i130 from GUZ.

Hi Pommey,

K3 visa = about 8 months

Tom and Ling

NOTE: USCIS has been approving both I-130 and I-129F in K-3 cases on the same date. And I have seen many cases where the petitioner responded to the NVC packets (I-864, and DS-230) in a timely fassion and get the CR-1 case to the consulate BEFORE K-3 interview getting the K-3 DROPPED in favor of the CR-1. A Technique that insures this is to be slow in responding to K-3 packet 3.

Well, the timelines do not suggest that right now, and If electronic processing speeds up the I-130 ,,than I would say that one should go with the I-130,,,,but all the visa's have different advantages and one should pick out the Visa that is good for them.

Until the USCIS does away with the K3,,than the K3 is good for some people.

Tom and Ling

Hi Pommey,

K3 visa = about 8 months

Tom and Ling

Well, the timelines do not suggest that right now, and If electronic processing speeds up the I-130 ,,than I would say that one should go with the I-130,,,,but all the visa's have different advantages and one should pick out the Visa that is good for them.

Tom and Ling

A voice of reason, thank you, however, the USCIS cannot do away with the K3. It will take an act of congress to terminate the visa since it was created under the LIFE act of 2000. Until then, the K3 visa is still a much viable visa for individuals to obtain.

Hi Pommey,

K3 visa = about 8 months

Tom and Ling

Tom and Ling

A voice of reason, thank you, however, the USCIS cannot do away with the K3. It will take an act of congress to terminate the visa since it was created under the LIFE act of 2000. Until then, the K3 visa is still a much viable visa for individuals to obtain.

Hi samsong,

I would not want to get rid of the K3 visa anyways,,there are enough reasons to keep the K3 verses getting rid of it.... :D

And as Randy has said,,,,,dnoblett likes too sale the I-130.... :) :ph34r:

Tom and Ling

Hi Pommey,

K3 visa = about 8 months

Tom and Ling

Tom and Ling

Hi samsong,

I would not want to get rid of the K3 visa anyways,,there are enough reasons to keep the K3 verses getting rid of it.... :D

And as Randy has said,,,,,dnoblett likes too sale the I-130.... :blink: :ph34r:

Tom and Ling

Yeah, I wonder what kind of 'kickbacks' Dan is receiving for selling the I-130/CR1 and discouraging K3 applicants? :lol: :P