speaking of police certificates

Hello all:

Would any one know answers to these questions:

1.My fiancee lived in Brazil for 7 years.Brazil apparently requires one to be there in person in order to obtain a police certificate.She no longer even has a visa to go there.Any ideas on how to proceed????

2.In Packet 3 they say there is a 131$ charge for the interview, does that apply to K-1 as well? I thought I paid this with my initial cost to NVC?

3.On the 134 aff. of Support I hear talk of having it notorized but see no place on the form that requires this.Is it something to do and if so what am I having notorized?Just that it is true?

Thanks much, Kimo

1) The rule is IF the certs ar not available to persons no longer living in a country then the consulate will not expect one.

Police Records

Certificates of Good Conduct (Atestados de Bons Antecedentes) related to possible violations of state law are available to persons 18 years of age and older from the Secretaria de Seguranca Publica in each of Brazil's states. Atestados related to possible violations of federal law are available to persons 18 years of age and older from any station (Delegacia) of the National Police (Policia Federal). Criminal records in Brazil are expunged five years after any sentence has been served.

Because each state maintains a separate database of violations of state law, a prospective immigrant must obtain a separate record from the Secretaria de Seguranca Publica of each state in which he or she has resided within the past five years. Additionally, a prospective immigrant must obtain a record from the Policia Federal, since state police records do not include violations of federal law.

For addresses or telephone numbers of Secretarias de Seguranca Publica and Delegacias de Policia Federal an applicant may contact the immigrant visa unit of the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro or access the consulate’s website at: http://www.embaixadaamericana.org.br . Federal Certificates are also available through the internet as are some State police certificates. If the applicant is residing outside Brazil, it is highly unlikely that he/she will get the Police certificate (only if he/she has someone with a power of attorney to apply on his/her behalf and if the applicant’s Brazilian ID card was issued by the specific state from which the certificate is being requested).

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3521.html (The consulate uses the reciprocity table, and sees that DOS has noted that the police cert are unlikely to be acquired.)

2) K-Visas are NON immigrant, and MUST pay the $131 fee to a CITIC bank and bring the receipt to the consulate for the interview, this is the fee for processing a DS-156. In the case of K-Visas nothing is paid to NVC, only IMMIGRANT visas like CR-1 and IR-1 pay visa fees to NVC.

3) Talk of notarization applies to the I-134 form from BEFORE last November, the current version does NOT need to be notarized, and has NO place for a notary to notarize it.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Hello all:

1.My fiancee lived in Brazil for 7 years.Brazil apparently requires one to be there in person in order to obtain a police certificate.She no longer even has a visa to go there.Any ideas on how to proceed????

2.In Packet 3 they say there is a 131$ charge for the interview, does that apply to K-1 as well? I thought I paid this with my initial cost to NVC?

3.On the 134 aff. of Support I hear talk of having it notorized but see no place on the form that requires this.Is it something to do and if so what am I having notorized?Just that it is true?

Thanks much, Kimo

Hello all:

Thanks much, Kimo

thanks for great info.I was worried about this police cert. I guess I paid my $ to the vsc not the nvc hey? So from what you are saying I can expect to pay the fee, right? Thanks again

thanks for great info.I was worried about this police cert. I guess I paid my $ to the vsc not the nvc hey? So from what you are saying I can expect to pay the fee, right? Thanks again

The $455 fee paid to VSC was for USCIS processing of the I-129F petition not for the visa. The $131 fee paid in China to CITIC bank is to pay for consulate processing of a DS-156 for the actual visa. Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)