VPN Service in China

carl.hops

Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm searching for a good VPN service available in China, something like a paid subscription.

The best I've seen, and am currently using at home is:

http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

The lower priced solution is $39.99 per year. A good price indeed. This gives you a US VPN that will enable you to access YouTube, Hulu, and other US sites that are inaccessible from outside the US.

You can make the purchase online, and are provided with an immediate connection. The set up is pretty easy with their online directions.

• 3 years later...

I'm searching for a good VPN service available in China, something like a paid subscription.

The best I've seen, and am currently using at home is:

http://www.witopia.net/welcome.php

The lower priced solution is $39.99 per year. A good price indeed. This gives you a US VPN that will enable you to access YouTube, Hulu, and other US sites that are inaccessible from outside the US.

You can make the purchase online, and are provided with an immediate connection. The set up is pretty easy with their online directions.

Are there better deals than 200RMB a year that are just as reliable?

The problem with Witopia is that they seem to be squarely in the sights of the Chinese censors - you may want to try one with a lower profile

http://candleforlove...post__p__594278

I'm checking out ExpressVPN - it seems to be pretty good, but not entirely immune.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

China tightens 'Great Firewall' internet control with new technology

Astrill, a VPN provider for users inside and outside China, has emailed its users to warn them that the "Great Firewall" system is blocking at least four of the common protocols used by VPNs, which means that they don't function. "This GFW update makes a lot of harm to business in China," the email says. "We believe [the] China censorship minister is a smart man … and this blockage will be removed and things will go back to normal."

But the company added that trying to stay ahead of the censors is a "cat-and-mouse game" – although it is working on a new system that it hopes will let it stay ahead of the detection system.

But the company added that trying to stay ahead of the censors is a "cat-and-mouse game" – although it is working on a new system that it hopes will let it stay ahead of the detection system.

And none of that is against the rules in China?

It seems to be standard operating procedure - hype (on the the part of the VPN providers) and paranoia (on the part of the censors).

I will not debate with you over whether or not you want a VPN - it's your choice.

It seems to be standard operating procedure - hype (on the the part of the VPN providers) and paranoia (on the part of the censors).

I will not debate with you over whether or not you want a VPN - it's your choice.

No testiness please, just wondered if it is against the law... like a reason the govt. can use against you. I prefer living within the law. I'm not against VPN's or anything but the only place I have used them was in the USA.

No testiness please, just wondered if it is against the law... like a reason the govt. can use against you. I prefer living within the law. I'm not against VPN's or anything but the only place I have used them was in the USA.

Like I've said, if you've connected to a bank or financial institution, or any other secure connection, even within China, you've used a VPN.

I seriously doubt that there are any laws which either allow you to use VPN's, or tell you not to. Don't forget, though, that you are in a country where the lawyers work for the government (a law major is called "Politics and Law"), and, by the Constitution, the Communist Party "provides leadership" while nothing else applies. There's no reason to be paranoid, but neither do you want to fly in anyone's face.

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this I've been using Astrill for a few years now and it's the best service you can find. They are always making sure their servers work. The GFW was recently updated to block all VPN connection attempts, but they are looking for a work around. Meanwhile you can still browse the web via their proxy.

Just in case anyone stumbles upon this I've been using Astrill for a few years now and it's the best service you can find. They are always making sure their servers work. The GFW was recently updated to block all VPN connection attempts, but they are looking for a work around. Meanwhile you can still browse the web via their proxy.

Not true - it may be time to find another provider. I keep one computer with an active VPN connection whenever it's on.

What provider do you use? You can PM if you don't want to post it publicly. I've read several articles about how VPN connections are being actively blocked by China Unicom. You can still connect with Astrill using their stealth settings but it gets blocked within a few hours. I'm not sure what you mean by "Not true" it's not true that Astrill is the best service or that VPN protocols are being blocked?

What provider do you use? You can PM if you don't want to post it publicly. I've read several articles about how VPN connections are being actively blocked by China Unicom. You can still connect with Astrill using their stealth settings but it gets blocked within a few hours. I'm not sure what you mean by "Not true" it's not true that Astrill is the best service or that VPN protocols are being blocked?

Not true that VPN protocols are being blocked. There is no distinguishing characteristic, like there is with proxy servers, that allows detection. Messages can be decoded only by your own software and the server. VPN's are used by banks and financial institutions, and any other site which requires a secure (https) connection.

There is no way to universally block VPN connections. They can SPOT them by watching traffic to the most popular sites, or by connections to dedicated ports. 1194 is the port allocated for OpenVPN, and is used by most of the Witopia servers. Most of their traffic from China goes to a small handful of "stealth" servers on other ports, which ironically makes them easier to spot.

Of course, they (the blockers) could always just sign up for the service themselves and get all the information they need that way.

I've used Witopia for 3 years, changing servers from time-to-time. I've always been able to connect, but not always reliably. Recently (the last 2 months), I've found myself spending more time than I care to having to re-connect (much like what you're describing with Astrill).

ExpressVPN provides "stealth" mode connections to EACH of their servers. I've had it only for a couple of weeks now, but it has been trouble-free, while the Witopia connection is dicey at best. I haven't tried any other services, and wasn't commenting on Astrill.