xiaofeizhu is back...with questions...again :D

Hey everyone!! It has been a while, but I have been lurking in the background at least once a week. Things have been good for my husband and I and we are both working and going to school. My husband seems to have adjusted well and it has been almost one year since we were approved for our CR-1 and came over to Hawaii.

Well, last night, my hubby (bless his heart, I love him even more than when we first met) was irresponsible and either a) had his wallet stolen or b ) just dumbly lost it.

We filed a police report and I paid the $380 for a new Green Card and biometrics.

So, my question is: Is there anything else we need to do? How long will it take for them to send him a biometrics appointment and about how long will it take for hubby to get a new card? Should he be carrying around his passport or is his drivers license acceptable?

Thanks in advance...and thank you CFL for always being there as a place that I can come to when I'm dumbfounded...

{Edit} to get rid of the stupid :) smiley. a) b )

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Welcome back Ericka. I don't have an answer for you. In all the years I've been on this board this is the first time I have ever heard of someone losing their green card. One would think it won't take too long since there shouldn't be any new security checks to go through but then you mentioned biometrics again. One agency that is really good at their job is the Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Hi Ericka,

If I were you in the future, I would not have your husband carry around his green card. This is an important document and I would have him keep the GC at home.

All he needs is a driver's license. The US is not a police state that requires having a CG on you at all times....so be aware that wallets are stolen.

I am not going to have Ling or the boys carring around their GC,,on their persons.

Having fun in Hawaii??

Tom and Ling

I don't know about now...but about 4 years ago, my cousin lost his gc. He came here on K-1 and got his gc shortly after. He also lost his gc and I believe it took him a little oer 4 months to get that replaced. Again, it was years ago, not sure about timeline today.

For my hus's EAD and SS card, I just color copied and laminated for him. He carries that in his wallet and leave the original in our safely box. I plan to do the same thing for him when he gets is gc too.

Hi Ericka,

If I were you in the future, I would not have your husband carry around his green card. This is an important document and I would have him keep the GC at home.

All he needs is a driver's license. The US is not a police state that requires having a CG on you at all times....so be aware that wallets are stolen.

I am not going to have Ling or the boys carring around their GC,,on their persons.

Having fun in Hawaii??

Tom and Ling

Actually it is federal law that resident aliens have their residency card on their person at all times.

However in our case we don't, my Yu nearly lost her card a year ago, since then the card remains stored in a safe place and she carries a state ID, only when traveling do we carry the green-card.

A biometric may happen of prior BIO is old, if not a new card will be generated using prior BIO.

As for how long, USCIS has a back log on card printing.

Permanent Resident Card Production Delays

Dan is correct that it is a federal law that resident aliens carry their green cards with them. I have never heard of this law ever having been enforced though. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi Ericka,

Having fun in Hawaii??

Tom and Ling

Actually it is federal law that resident aliens have their residency card on their person at all times.

However in our case we don't, my Yu nearly lost her card a year ago, since then the card remains stored in a safe place and she carries a state ID, only when traveling do we carry the green-card.

A biometric may happen of prior BIO is old, if not a new card will be generated using prior BIO.

Hi dnoblett and everyone else,

I don't care whether it is a federal law or not I am not going to have any of my family carry it on a regular basis.

Just too important document too have stolen or lost.

Tom and Ling

Hi Ericka,

Having fun in Hawaii??

Tom and Ling

Hi dnoblett and everyone else,

I don't care whether it is a federal law or not I am not going to have any of my family carry it on a regular basis.

Just too important document too have stolen or lost.

Tom and Ling

That is why, I mentioned that my Yu does not carry it either, just pointing out that it is required to be carried by law, others made it look like it was not a requirement to have it on their person at all times.

Permanent Resident Card

The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I don't know about now...but about 4 years ago, my cousin lost his gc. He came here on K-1 and got his gc shortly after. He also lost his gc and I believe it took him a little oer 4 months to get that replaced. Again, it was years ago, not sure about timeline today.

For my hus's EAD and SS card, I just color copied and laminated for him. He carries that in his wallet and leave the original in our safely box. I plan to do the same thing for him when he gets is gc too.

Hi Missingyou,

That is the safe thing to do...Make copies and laminated and carry those. Like you said..if they want to see the originals than you can get them.

Tom and Ling

Thanks everyone for their input. I always made a point of making sure he always had it on him, as per the "law". I think the copy/laminate is a good idea. I will let him carry his drivers license. I already told him that he is not going to be carrying his passport as proof of legal residence...We agreed that if, by some freak of nature, he gets pulled over and they demand his proof of residence, I will bail him out :o

It's interesting to know that people actually do not carry it around unless traveling. I will definitely keep this in mind when he gets his new $380 piece of plastic :blink:

Edited by xiaofeizhu (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting question. From what I read, you have to file an I-90 which has $290 filing fee and $80 for biometrics. However, since you were probably still under the 2 year green card, I'm not 100% sure that it's absolutely necessary to replace yours (especially since you will be able to apply for the 10 year card soon). From what I read it takes 3-6 months to get the replacement card.

BTW: My wife did carry hers around for a while, but after she lost her bank card, we decided she doesn't need to do that, and keep it at home. I suppose legally you are to carry it at all times, but with a PA drivers license and photo id, I would guess that any situation which would arise her requiring ID that that would be acceptable.

Interesting question. From what I read, you have to file an I-90 which has $290 filing fee and $80 for biometrics. However, since you were probably still under the 2 year green card, I'm not 100% sure that it's absolutely necessary to replace yours (especially since you will be able to apply for the 10 year card soon). From what I read it takes 3-6 months to get the replacement card.

BTW: My wife did carry hers around for a while, but after she lost her bank card, we decided she doesn't need to do that, and keep it at home. I suppose legally you are to carry it at all times, but with a PA drivers license and photo id, I would guess that any situation which would arise her requiring ID that that would be acceptable.

Problem is that a photo-copy of the 2 year card will be needed to be attached to I-751 when adjusting status.
Problem is that a photo-copy of the 2 year card will be needed to be attached to I-751 when adjusting status.

I do have a copy of his card, and I never thought about what Bokiwen said. Well, we did pay the $370 for the new card and biometrics and we have an appointment in Honolulu to get his biometrics done on August 1 (I didn't even know they were open on Saturdays, but it works to our benefit!). After this, he will not be carrying his green card, just a copy of it!

Oh well, that's my contribution to the economic stimulus. :P

Ah... Great point, as I forgot that..