Travel Insurance

Just curious if anyone is picking up travel insurance in case they

happen to get quarantined for 10 days?

Are you saying that the travel insurance will help with a quarantine?

I considered it on my first trip, but didn't buy

Just curious if anyone is picking up travel insurance in case they

happen to get quarantined for 10 days?

Are you saying that the travel insurance will help with a quarantine?

I considered it on my first trip, but didn't buy

I would check into whether it would cover a quarantine before you buy.

My feeling about insurance in general is that they aren't in business to give you money.

Travel insurance is a wise, expenditure. One reason and not the only one, that I buy it, is that if I die I will not be a expense to my family to have my body shipped backed, I understand this could cost at least, $10,000.00, then there is the emergency medical and the refund of your ticket cost under certain circumstances.

Edited by HKG (see edit history)

Travel insurance is a wise, expenditure. One reason and not the only one, that I buy it, is that if I die I will not be a expense to my family to have my body shipped backed, I understand this could cost at least, $10,000.00, then there is the emergency medical and the refund of your ticket cost under certain circumstances.

What would Travel Insurance pay if you were quarantined for a week and missed connecting flights?

What would Travel Insurance pay if you were quarantined for a week and missed connecting flights?

Depends on the fine print. Some will define that as a medical emergency and refund your ticket price for the flight(s) you missed.

T

Access America is the name of the company I had bought travel insurance from it was offered by Continental Airline. There are policies

that you can purchase for less and for more money, this one cost me $66.14 for that, I received Baggage Coverage. $300.00, Baggage Delay, $200.00, Emergency medical Transport $50,000., Emergency Medical and Dental $10,000., Travel/Trip delay $200.00 and Travel Interruption Protection $1,058.24 this was the price of the ticket. All in USD.

One caveat of this kind of coverage, make sure the policy says, INSURANCE in the contract.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Some good information on the Clark Howard Web site:

Should I get travel insurance? Travel insurance policies should always be purchased when you are taking a cruise, a tour or traveling on a trip that requires pre-payment of thousands of dollars. Policies are designed to protect consumers in the event of illness or to provide a refund in the case of company, tour operator or airline default. Policies cost about 5% of total cost of a trip, but it's worth it. Consumers should always purchase a policy independent of the cruise, tour or vacation planner. Never purchase the trip protection plan from the trip organizer. They are designed to protect only the company and not the consumer. Always pay deposits and final payments by a real credit card and never by debit card or check. For more on travel insurance, see Clark's guide.

------------------

When do you need it?

These policies should always be purchased when you are taking a cruise, a tour or traveling on a trip that requires pre-payment of thousands of dollars.

What kind of coverage does it offer?

Policies are designed to protect consumers by giving them refunds in the event of illness to the traveler or immediate family member, or to provide a refund in the case of company, tour operator or airline default.

How much does it cost?

Policies cost about 5% of total cost of a trip, but it's worth it. Consumers should always purchase a policy independent of the cruise, tour or vacation planner. Never purchase the trip protection plan from the trip organizer. They are designed to protect only the company and not the consumer. Always pay deposits and final payments by a real credit card and never by debit card or check.

I haven't gone so far as to check with the airline Web sites, but it seems that insurance would cover expenses related to being quarantined.

A little more information here:

http://www.nwa.com/services/travelins/faq.html

It seems that a quarantine would qualify as a "Trip Interruption."

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

My follow up question is are all the travel insurance policies the same? I can get one through United, but there are other choices?

Any suggestions for vendors for travelers insurance?

I NEVER BUY INSURANCE, IF I DIE IN CHIN THEY CAN KEEP MY BODY , AND USE MY CELLS AND BODY PARTS TO MAKE SUPER CHINESE CLONES :rolleyes:

THINKING OUT LOUD GOOD WAY TO SAVE MONEY

AND THE WORLD

I just called Access America. After being put on hold for 20+ minutes, I eventually spoke to a customer service representative. She told me that if I went on a trip to China and was quarantined there, it would be considered a covered event. But she does not know how much I will be reimbursed for, as it will depend on how much of my trip is lost, etc. Their claim dept will make a determination.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended letting my virtual fingers doing the walking. There is some coverage provided by Mastercard, but I used the tools at insuremytrip.com to compare the swine-flu impact. It's easy to compare the companies on how they treat H1N1

I ended up going with M.H. Ross Insurance Services. They have an A+ rating.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/blog/influenza...flu-information